News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

celluloid

Actually I hear his nickname is Two Million Otter and the backup plan for when he breaks is just to leave him slumped behind some bushes

Also, it is more of an artist rendering than an engineering diagram, and could have been cut from the same time(s) that many other renderings have changed, so I can't easily get my hopes up on anything that has already changed so much.

MerlinTheGoat

Also, it is more of an artist rendering than an engineering diagram, and could have been cut from the same time(s) that many other renderings have changed, so I can't easily get my hopes up on anything that has already changed so much.
There is such a thing as being too dismissive of evidence. The diagram is not a schematic for deeply technical robotic engineering specs. It simply shows some of the general axes of motion that the artists ordered that specific AA to be built for. I do not expect that this diagram will have contained any lies about the sort of motion this particular figure will have when we eventually see the final product.

The ride will apparently have a lot of AA's, real ones. A number of which are new and state of the art. I'm currently not worried about the animal figures as i've heard extremely positive things about what has been ordered as well as what they've already built/tested. I'm more cautious about the human AA's, because at the moment I don't know if they're using the face projected variety or not. It will be a significant negative impact on the experience if they aren't fully mechanical.

There are obviously plenty of other concerns as well, such as whether WDI are up to the task of building intricate and detailed sets to fill out the ride. Or whatever story and original music they come up with (though i've also heard high praise for the new songs and script as well). But for the present time, i've heard enough reassuring things about the animal animatronics to help mellow me out somewhat on that front. I will reassess this opinion if I begin to see evidence that things are going south on that matter.

BrianLo

It hasn't been confirmed and we're still waiting to see. The only reason fans jumped to that conclusion is based on prior art of Tiana holding a lantern. That caused some people to assume that she would be a reskinned version of the Belle figures from Tokyo. I'd like for this to be the case (a lantern would also cause even more problems with a face projection if it emits a significant amount of light that illuminates the figure). But it's not what I would call concrete proof or even rumor.

patf-attraction-rendering-2021.jpg

anigif_sub-buzz-3769-1544226544-2.gif

There's also a physical face animatronic of Barbossa in Paris' version POTC that holds a lantern.

I strongly disagree. And unfortunately, it's probably the only way to ensure there's not a mass reduction of the amount of AA's in the ride. I would also vastly prefer that they be repaired, upgraded and reused again than to see them thrown in a landfill or sit in a dusty storage unit for decades to slowly rot away.

You might have missed that Frozen Ever After in HKDL has replaced the projected AA's with physical faces. Tokyo to me doesn't imply much since their attractions are entirely unique, but the fact WDI specifically altered that element for the HK and Paris clones puts me into the Tiana is probably also physical camp.

Edit: Duh you mention this on the next page. At this juncture though globally we have an n of 1 for princess projected faces. Maybe its the optimist in me but I strongly do not think that implies the default would be the same for Tiana. The replacement in HK confirms a lot more to WDI's thoughts how it worked out for Elsa/Anna.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Do we think the finale boat stays somewhat intact?

It would seem a little wasteful and pointless to totally ditch that scene, even if they want to reskin some of the AA's to visually fit better. Keeping it somewhat as the 'nod' to its predecessor attraction, sans Brer's.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for anything recognizable to be held over - one of their main goals here really is to do away with most meaningful traces of Splash Mountain as we know it
Yeah.... well.... I am one to hold on to hope for some little tribute, and I will be one of those people who will be singing zip a dee doo dah inside my head after splash down regardless......😁 If I could have one memento besides the bobber it would be the upside down acorn light in the boarding area.....see light past the lit one.....dark brown with pinholes letting through the light, best image I could find but one little thing I always looked at and wished I had hanging outside my own home....:happy: And for the record I do think they will keep the riverboat......:bookworm::cool:

I also love love love this acorn post on approach to loading area.....don't they have acorns in the Bayou?!?!😜
I won't believe they will totally gut the whole thing!!😏 :angelic: We shall see........
1675089444303.png
1675094768732.png

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

You might have missed that Frozen Ever After in HKDL has replaced the projected AA's with physical faces. Tokyo to me doesn't imply much since their attractions are entirely unique, but the fact WDI specifically altered that element for the HK and Paris clones puts me into the Tiana is probably also physical camp.

Edit: Duh you mention this on the next page. At this juncture though globally we have an n of 1 for princess projected faces. Maybe its the optimist in me but I strongly do not think that implies the default would be the same for Tiana. The replacement in HK confirms a lot more to WDI's thoughts how it worked out for Elsa/Anna.
I saw it mentioned that Hong Kong's version of Frozen was getting at least one fully physical AA of Elsa. Though i'm not sure if that applies to all of the other AA's in the rides. Nor am I sure if it was mentioned whether Paris will also be getting this non-projected figure.

During the period of time in which face-projections began to catch on in the American parks, the Asian parks continued to receive some figures that were fully mechanical. One of the few exceptions was 7DMT's clone at Shanghai (which I figure is probably because it split costs and designs with the WDW variant). But their new version of Peter Pan's Flight (which is NOT a clone) does uses physical faces for the AA's.

The parks in Japan and China are not fully owned by Disney and the other entities that run them have a lot of say in the projects and decisions approved there, as well as budgets. Hence Tokyo rejecting proposals to switch their Splash Mountain into Tiana (for now anyway, and I gather that Disney hoped they would make the switch to also help foot the bill for the American variants). I'm curious if they had something to say about the projected faces for attractions like Frozen, and perhaps approved more money to shell out for mechanical ones. Speculation of course, but I don't think we're necessarily out of the woods yet with face projection. Mickey is a recent build that still makes heavy use of them too.

celluloid

There is such a thing as being too dismissive of evidence.
Agreed. That is why I am saying I can't get my hopes up that this pitch for a single character will range of motion will be typical or in the final product. And since the project is changing faster than they can share much solid on it, and given Disney's reputation such recently, it is best to not get hopes too up for that sort of detailed info to be in the final project.

celluloid

I suspect the structure of the boat will remain, but that it will be redecorated. The name will also likely change to something other than Zip-A-Dee-Lady.

I see it likely as Prince Naveen and Tiana staged on it waving or near it with Louis nearby playing.

Dig a Little Deeper will likely be the celebration song. With friendship as the missing ingredient and everyone invited it makes sense to be the obvious choice.

tanc

I think only the laughing place segment will be turned into a salt mine. The rest will be a bayou.
I meant the queue especially, like I'm curious how the retheme for that will go. The queue for Splash is so unique, I wonder if they will leave it or will repaint all of it.

Joel

I'm interested into seeing how long it will take to transform it into a salt mine.
There will probably be minimal work done, since most of the heavy lifting in regards to that particular aspect of the story will be handled by Tiana's new song, "You Are the Salt Mine".

celluloid

I meant the queue especially, like I'm curious how the retheme for that will go. The queue for Splash is so unique, I wonder if they will leave it or will repaint all of it.
If they have 16 months or less and are documenting things to remove, keep or destroy. I would not expect a drastic change.

Kirby86

I think only the laughing place segment will be turned into a salt mine. The rest will be a bayou.
That has been my theory since the announcement that a salt dome will be part of the ride. Especially if the budget isn't super high why waste money destroying and then rebuilding a cave set.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom