News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

Rich T

Boy a guy really can't have a differece of opinion here can he? I post my thoughts of not liking the idea of changing the restaurant and give MY reasons why and it didn't tske long for all the typical Disneyland gate keepers here to come out of the wood works and berate me for not instantly loving everything Disney does. 'How dare you not think like us!'
What the heck?!?

You’re certainly allowed to dislike, not love and/or hate things Disney does here. I’m trying not to laugh, just because I post negative reactions to tons of things Disney does here all the time! Most of us do! I personally don’t like Star Wars or Marvel as Disney IPs. I think Little Mermaid and Pooh are boring, unimaginative dark rides. I think Roger Rabbit is a better ride than the much more expensive Mickey & Minnie RR. I think the person who came up with the name “Snow White’s Enchanted Wish” should never be allowed to name a ride ever again.

I don’t like Jack Sparrow in the pirates ride. You do. That’s awesome; I’m glad you like it.

Plenty of people disagree with me about some of the opinions I post, and we have fun arguing/discussing it here.

And I try very, very hard not to state one of my opinions as a fact. I edit a lot before I post, and sometimes nearly immediately afterward if I realize I crossed a line, was overly harsh, or was just plain wrong.

It’s just in the phrasing. And in being nice to people. There’s no need to be defensive or rude. We’re all here because we enjoy some of the things the artists at Disney have created over the decades. Let’s celebrate those common likes and also have fun disagreeing about things.

mlayton144

foolish to compare Tiana to Pinocchio and fantasia in any form or fashion - the latter 2 were released in the middle of a world war with one requiring theaters to be equipped with a new expensive sound system.

Rich T - dont expect to change minds as you present facts and others want to present other information to discount them - Ironically many credit tianas mediocre performance to the release of avatar 1 week after which put the frog out to pasture - ironic little fact especially in this forum

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
foolish to compare Tiana to Pinocchio and fantasia in any form or fashion - the latter 2 were released in the middle of a world war with one requiring theaters to be equipped with a new expensive sound system.
In their theatrical window, these movies lost...

Alice in Wonderland: $3M
Tangled: $94M
Winnie the Pooh: $20M
Wreck-it Ralph: $12M [the sequel actually made a small profit]
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: $93M
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men...: $23M

A theatrical loss is not a death knell if the after-theater market allows for continued franchisement.

Last edited:

Parteecia

River Belle pancakes were a tradition for lots of us. It doesn't work anywhere else. It has to be on the river while you're watching DL wake up and planning your day.

When I worked at Fritos, River Belle would save its bacon grease to use in our frijoles. One time I spilled a bucket off of the dolly and nearly caused an oil slick on the river. Ah, memories.

mlayton144

The their theatrical window, these movies lost...

Alice in Wonderland: $3M
Tangled: $94M
Winnie the Pooh: $20M
Wreck-it Ralph: $12M [the sequel actually made a small profit]
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: $93M
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men...: $23M

A theatrical loss is not a death knell if the after-theater market allows for continued franchisement.

No doubt but I wouldn’t include pirates as the overall franchise was hugely successful - but how many of these were given the true Tiana treatment - an E ticket in 2 locations , a restaurant , etc? To put it kindly - Disney is attempting to right a perceived wrong , even if no one was asking for it.

EPCOTCenterLover

Tiana's a perfect fit for NOS. I just hope the new restaurant doesn't require removal of a lot of those trees nearby. Its that old growth that gives the area so much of its charm.

Californian Elitist

No doubt but I wouldn’t include pirates as the overall franchise was hugely successful - but how many of these were given the true Tiana treatment - an E ticket in 2 locations , a restaurant , etc? To put it kindly - Disney is attempting to right a perceived wrong , even if no one was asking for it.
Disney is ultimately looking to make money. They are doing so by removing Splash as we know it with a more “friendly” and current/relevant IP. This has been discussed to death.

Some people are asking for it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Tangled got a bathroom!!

TP2000

PatF didn’t bomb. That’s quite far-fetched.

Princess And The Frog was certainly no mega-bomb for the history books like Strange World, but it certainly wasn't successful.

And I say this as someone who LOVED that showboat show they did in the summer of '09 on the Mark Twain for this movie, and wishes this restaurant makeover had been done in 2010 instead of 2023. But the box office results, adjusted for inflation for several point of reference films of the past 15 years, was nothing to brag about for Princess And The Frog.

NotGoodOrEvenGreat.jpg

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Princess And The Frog was certainly no mega-bomb for the history books like Strange World, but it certainly wasn't successful.

And I say this as someone who LOVED that showboat show they did in the summer of '09 on the Mark Twain for this movie, and wishes this restaurant makeover had been done in 2010 instead of 2023. But the box office results, adjusted for inflation for several point of reference films of the past 15 years, was nothing to brag about for Princess And The Frog.

View attachment 692618
At the end of its theatrical run, PatF did indeed have a loss of $23 million.

It then went on to have $188 million in DVD and BluRay sales.

And it sold a lot of merch, especially as part of the Disney Princess Brand.

PatF has been profitable for Disney.

TP2000

The restaurant in the film is meant to be a culinary palace with sit down dining and live music. What are we getting as a trade off to this embarrassing theming conflict? Bad theme park fast food, completely undermining the entire point of Tiana's journey to open a world-class restaurant.

I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right!

In the movie her dream is all about fine dining and the best restaurant in New Orleans. A culinary palace.

And instead she gets a buffeteria. With plastic trays. And microwaved bags of rice. And plastic packets of salad dressing.

Aw, hell. I hate it when a dream dies like that. :(

_caleb

The announcement referred to it as a “quick-service style restaurant,” but we haven’t received confirmation about what this means, have we? At MK, Be Our Guest used to be “quick-service,” but servers still brought your food to you at the table. Maybe they’ll do something like this?

TP2000

The announcement referred to it as a “quick-service style restaurant,” but we haven’t received confirmation about what this means, have we? At MK, Be Our Guest used to be “quick-service,” but servers still brought your food to you at the table. Maybe they’ll do something like this?

It's a typical Disneyland buffeteria. It's been a buffeteria since 1966. It will likely always be a buffeteria. Grab a tray and slide to your right!

The only real change now is that it has a new name with fake smokestacks on the roof.

Untitled-1-700x372.jpg

Phroobar

I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right!

In the movie her dream is all about fine dining and the best restaurant in New Orleans. A culinary palace.

And instead she gets a buffeteria. With plastic trays. And microwaved bags of rice. And plastic packets of salad dressing.

Aw, hell. I hate it when a dream dies like that. :(
Tiana's Place on the Disney Wonder was better.
iu

iu

Californian Elitist

And yet, it was not a big hit. Or any hit really. Which is a shame, because the music it had was wonderful (in my humble opinion).

This restaurant should have been there 13 years ago, but without the fake smokestacks. Or plastic trays. Or packets of salad dressing.
It’s a hit now. Things have changed over time. It’s gotten way more popular since 2009.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom