Thunderstorms in WDW

thatcher1114

Original Poster
My husband and I are going to WDW the week of the 9th of March 2010. I noticed on accuweather that there will be a chance of thunderstorms on one of those days. Any suggestions and what can we expect for rides in the park? :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If there is bad lightning you will see attractions like Dumbo and the astro orbiter close until it passes but for the most part it will be business as usual.

Hi most of the time with thunderstorms, most outside rides will stop running for a bit especially if there is lightening also. Inside rides will run until they see the storm going for more than 45 min or so. Most of the time thunderstorms during spring are light and do not last long at all you should be fine. :)

I don't have lots of details for you, but I do know that lots of chickens run for the hills during rain storms, leaving the parks virtually empty for hard-core poncho-wearing geeks like me! I pray for rain...

DISNEY-PRINCESS

:mad: I agree put a poncho on and have fun!!! after all your in the happiest places on earth!!! :D We have been there before many times in the rain and we make the best of it and still have fun... I dont remember the inside rides closing either, Im sure they stay open in the rain...

swimmom

We had lots of rain on our last trip. I have never wanted to bother with an umbrella at WDW, but I gave in because the rain was quite heavy at times and for hours at times and we were still getting wet with the pnochos. If you buy an umbrella in WDW keep your receipt. You can take it back to any store with your receipt and they will replace it if it breaks. I think over the week we returned four umbrellas that broke. Also you may want to bring an extra pair of shoes. Our shoes got soaked each day and didn't dry overnight.

fbp

Just make sure to ride Test Track while there is no chance of rain. I spilled a water near the Test Track building once and they shut down the ride for two hours.

Zing!

Buy a dollar store poncho, stick it in your bag and you're good to go.

Yensid40

Just make sure to ride Test Track while there is no chance of rain. I spilled a water near the Test Track building once and they shut down the ride for two hours.

:lol:

I have been during hurricanes... That's not the best situation, but there were no lines!

If a thunderstorm does roll in, the typically are gone within a half hour or so. There have been numerous times that a bad storm rolled in, we went on a longer attraction, we came out and the skies were clear.

A lot of people are afraid of a little rain and a storm, I see it as a great opportunity.

I hope you are having a good time.

DisneyParksFan

Zing!

nice! :ROFLOL:

The best time to visit the parks are during periods of rain (ok..maybe not the BEST, but still a lot of fun!). People freak out when it rains mainly because a lot aren't prepared or just simply dont want to risk getting a little wet.

I like to bring an umbrella, do a little strolling, and check out some favorites like the Jungle Cruise (if there's no lightning, of course).

glee

My husband and I are going to WDW the week of the 9th of March 2010. I noticed on accuweather that there will be a chance of thunderstorms on one of those days. Any suggestions and what can we expect for rides in the park? :wave:

I love florida storms. :rolleyes:

Anyways...Look at the weather whilst getting ready in the morning and it usually gives an accurate time for the storm, so plan to go have lunch then. :) Just plan your day around the storm. Works well.:sohappy:

CP_alum08

Take it all in! If it does start to rain, chances are people will run for cover giving you a prime time to hit some of the big attractions. And assuming you aren't from FL, most afternoon rain in FL only lasts about 10 minutes...and it will still be sunny during those 10 minutes! You can always make ADR's that afternoon and plan on eating a sit down lunch to take up some time, then if it doesn't end up raining you can cancel the reservation and enjoy your day.

pumpkin7

try going into a water park when its raining. we were at blizzard beach, and it started raining, and it felt like we were the only ones there! the lazy river was deserted, and you could just wlak on sumit plumit; one of the cast members said he'd worked at the park for about 5 years and he'd never seen sumit plumit with no queue at all before.

DarraK

There were thunder storms when we were there a few weeks ago. They do temporarily shut down the outdoor rides, but they are up and running as soon as the weather clears. The indoor areas can get a bit crowded with lots of wet people during these times though.

Spike-in-Berlin

If you are especially in EPCOT do not underestimate the risk of lightning. In EPCOT there are wide open spaces with very few protection against lightnings. Do not move outside in the open as long as the thunderstorm is directly above you.

Florida

If you are especially in EPCOT do not underestimate the risk of lightning. In EPCOT there are wide open spaces with very few protection against lightnings. Do not move outside in the open as long as the thunderstorm is directly above you.

Very true..... Also the idea of an umbrella aint the greatest during a lightning storm :eek::fork:

Theosus

I don't worry much about lightning. If it hits you, you either wake up in the hospital, or not at all. Plus, if you're close enough to hear thunder you can get hit. I photograph it, and I've seen it cluster under a storm, and suddenly throw out a random strike miles to the side. I've been twenty feet from a tree that got hit.
But it's best to take steps. Get inside, don't huddle under metal cover, use umbrellas, play golf.
I carry ponchos everywhere, and pray for rain. It usually doesn't last long, and if it does people run for the hills, especially late afternoon. Last year I went in June and it rained every day, two days it rained all day.
This time? Hot as hell, and one rain day for 30 minutes. Ugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom