Three Urban Legends about the Walt Disney World Monorail

disneydiva72

Original Poster
I had never read this before and I found it fun and interesting, maybe some of you who haven't read it before will too....enjoy. :)

BTW...here are more Urban Legends... http://www.yesterland.com/urbanlegends.html

[FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Helv][SIZE=+3]Three Urban Legends [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Helv][SIZE=+2]about the[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Helv][SIZE=+3] Walt Disney World Monorail

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Geneva, Helv]The Walt Disney World Monorail system is legendary, and that can lead to urban legends. Guests love to stay at the Monorail Resorts. Disney fans love to spread information—and sometimes misinformation—about the system and the possibility that it will be expanded. For the three of the four pictures in this article, I had some fun with Adobe Photoshop. [/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet, Helvetica, Geneva, Helv]
werner2.gif
, Curator of Yesterland, January 25, 2008
[/FONT]----------------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Helv][SIZE=+1]Legend: “The black areas on the façades of the Swan and Dolphin can be removed to accommodate future Monorail beams.”

Status: False [/SIZE][/FONT] It seems that one or more captains of the Friendship Boats that connect the Epcot resorts with Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios have been telling Walt Disney World guests the “interesting fact” that the black areas on the façades of the Swan and Dolphin can be removed to accommodate a Monorail expansion. The story has been repeated on Internet forums and websites. And it’s undoubtedly been repeated to friends, family, and co-workers by Disney guests.
There are two versions of the story. One version claims that the spaces behind the black areas are big empty voids. The other version claims that they are filled with “temporary” hotel rooms that can be removed.

urbanlegends_swan.jpg

It’s a good story, but it isn’t true. The black squares are simply design features to make the large façades more interesting. Architect Michael Graves likes to use dark and light areas or different materials to break up building façades. I don’t know if the captains honestly believe the Monorail story, or if they’re just having some fun at the guests’ expense.
Around the same time that Michael Graves designed the Swan and Dolphin, he also designed the Aventine in La Jolla, Californa, named after one of the seven hills of Rome. His 16-story, 400-room Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine has three black squares on its façade. His 11-story office tower at Aventine only has a single black square on it. There’s no Monorail planned for the Aventine either.
By the way, the black areas on the Swan and Dolphin are substantially different in size (about five stories tall on the Swan, and about nine stories tall on the Dolphin) and in elevation (starting about seven stories up on the Swan, and starting about ten stories up on the Dolphin). They’re much taller than necessary to accommodate the Monorail.
If the beam did go through the Swan and Dolphin, there would not be a logical place to put a station. The beam would be way too high, and the buildings aren’t nearly deep enough. So where would the Swan and Dolphin station go?
If the builder and architect had really wanted to leave paths for future monorail beams, they could simply have left openings. If they wanted to hide the holes, why did they make the “covering” black instead of really hiding them by dressing them up to look like the rest of the building? Why would they put in “temporary” rooms? (Look up at the black area any evening, and you’ll clearly see that there are rooms and people up there.)
One more point... Take a look a the shape of the Swan and Dolphin. Think about where the hallways and elevators would be. Yep. Giant openings would cut off the hallways.

------------------------------------------

[FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Helv][SIZE=+1]Legend: “There is Monorail right-of-way through Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort.”

It’s in writing from Disney!
When people buy Disney Vacations Club memberships, they sign a Product Understanding Checklist. It’s an honest document that summarizes the features of the program, including some potential “gotchas,” so that buyers can’t later complain, “You never told me!”
For Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort, the Product Understanding Checklist includes the following:
18. This resort is located near stores, restaurants, entertainment areas, and other public establishments with nighttime hours of operation which may result in higher noise and light levels, including but not limited to fireworks and music. In addition, easement rights for the purpose of constructing, maintaining and supporting the Monorail transportation services (which also may result in higher noise and light levels and views of the Monorail system) as part of the larger Walt Disney World transportation system (which may or may not service the Resort) have been reserved. There are no current plans to expand the Monorail system.

urbanlegends_ssrmonorail.jpg

Why is there a Monorail easement through Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort—a legal right for the Monorail to cross the property—if there are no plans to expand the Monorail system?

urbanlegends_disneyvillage.jpg

The easement was in place long before the property was Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort. In fact, the easement was in place before the property was called the Villas at Disney Institute. The easement goes back to the early days when there were ambitious plans for an extensive Monorail System to connect all parts of Walt Disney World, including the shopping area that was then called Disney Village and the Office Plaza planned along Interstate 4. So the easement still shows up in legal documents.
Nobody should take the easement as an indication that the Walt Disney World Monorail is coming to the Saratoga Springs Resort.

-----------------------------------

[FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Helv][SIZE=+1]Legend: “The reason the Walt Disney World Monorail system has not been expanded is that it would cost a million dollars per mile.”

The figure of a million dollars per mile keeps coming up in Internet discussions about expanding the Walt Disney World Monorail system. Someone will post that it would certainly be nice if Walt Disney World would replace the stinky diesel bus fleet with sleek “highway in the sky” Monorail lines. Then, someone will reply that they heard that the cost would be a hefty million dollars per mile, and that’s just prohibitive.
Actually, if the Walt Disney Company could add ten miles to the Monorail system for just $10 million, they would jump at the opportunity. The truth is that the cost would be much, much higher.

urbanlegends_monorailcost.jpg

The Las Vegas Monorail, which opened in 2004, cost $654 million for just 4.4 miles. It uses the same Bombardier technology as the Walt Disney World Monorail. Bombardier acquired the technology from Disney. There were some issues in Las Vegas—such as having to deal with many various property owners, structures in the right-of-way, and municipal politics—that Disney would not face. So maybe Disney could hold the costs under $100 million per mile.
A Monorail expansion would a be huge capital expense that would not generate direct revenue. Sure, Monorails could reduce bus fleet expenses. And, for guests, the Monorails add to the “magic” of a Disney vacation. But it’s still hard to justify the business expense, even if Disney could hold the costs to “only” $50 million per mile.
The Walt Disney World Monorail has not been expanded since the opening of the Epcot line in 1982. It’s safe to say that the reason is cost—a much higher cost than the oft-repeated million dollars per mile

WDW1974

I read this when originally posted by Werner. He has a great site.

But I really don't think you should have just 'borrowed' his entire column and moved it over to this site.

He has his own site, Yesterland and is affiliated with Miceage.com..

It might have been more appropriate to simply provide a link or sum up what was said.

Oh, and Werner's info is 100% correct.

I would hope that maybe Disney could find some way to bring the cost down. By finding a way to expand the monorail, Disney could be a leader in getting our nation off of foreign oil. I think Walt would like the idea of his company being a leader in being more energy independent, encouraging use of public transit, and it is good public relations too. Maybe later on, would it be possible to possibly get federal funding to help with this?

Unfortunatly, high costs are common in public transit, in the Pittsburgh area, Port Authority Transit is digging a tunnel underneath the Allegheny River to go from downtown to the sports stadiums. It will cost 452 million. Though mostly federally funded, people are upset about the cost.:mad:

xsupaxmanxsfnex

Very cool article. For a second I thought you were going to say that the expansion would cost less than 1 million per mile. I actually do like the buses as well. Every time I see them I just get excited. Go Disney Transportation!
I am sure this has been asked before but why is the cost of monorail construction so high?

disneydiva72

Original Poster

But I really don't think you should have just 'borrowed' his entire column and moved it over to this site.

It might have been more appropriate to simply provide a link or sum up what was said.

Are you for real?

Simply say "Nice article, thanks for posting, OH LOOK! You provided us w/ the link to HIS SITE! Ill go check it out since he provides different info than Steve does and he is no threat what so ever....."

And move on...reallllyyy.....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

She did give the link, so the information source was properly acknowledged.

Nice to know that he has your approval. :rolleyes:

GenerationX

That was an interesting article! It's a shame the author didn't address the other monorail legends out there and give their statuses. Here are some I've heard:

1. The Spanish portion of the monorail spiel, when played backwards, contains a hidden message. Status: True. The words to the Mickey Mouse Club March can clearly be heard when the tape loop is played in reverse.

2. A monorail pilot was once pulled over for driving erratically. Status: True. This was way back in the 70s when DUIs didn't have the stigma they have today. According to passengers, the monorail was "swerving wildly" between the Polynesian and the MK. One passenger called the Lake Buena Vista police who pulled the monorail over and made the pilot walk ten feet across a straight stretch of monorail line. The pilot failed and had his monorail pilot's license revoked.

3. Monorails run on electricity. Status: False. Monorails actually run on "pixie dust", which burns much cleaner and is better for the environment than electricity generated from coal-burning plants.

agent86

Are you for real?

Simply say "Nice article, thanks for posting, OH LOOK! You provided us w/ the link to HIS SITE! Ill go check it out since he provides different info than Steve does and he is no threat what so ever....."

And move on...reallllyyy.....

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom