• Superstar Limo

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
DSC02205-700x525.jpg
atacmg394794691313a-683x1024.jpg

Miru

Tie. WEB SLINGERS is a functional ride, while the other is an interesting sight. Not really comparable.

mickEblu

Autopia, Subs, and Matterhorn/Fantasyland
View attachment 563034

See these are things that make Disneyland great. I’m going to have to sit in the is lovely little area on my next trip and have some popcorn. Autopia needs to stick around for things like this and pretty much over other reason than the ride being good. Just a tiny 3 foot fence and some plants separating you and the Autopia cars. Just old school in general. Not just Disneyland old school. Things just aren’t built this way anymore whether is for liability reasons or just lack of good planning/ design.

Or just think of Tom Sawyers Island even in its lawyered state. You are walking around that island unsupervised and there is no fence separating you from the water. It just would never be built today. Aside from liability reasons they would consider it a huge waste of IP-less space

Rich T

WEB SLINGERS has actually decreased my family’s desire to revisit DLR anytime soon.

It makes Ariel’s Adventure look like PotC. Ariel may not be great, but at least it’s not a screen-based toy commercial... that you need reservations for... before being told you need to buy DLC to get a better experience...

BOB$LAND!

Miru

WEB SLINGERS has actually decreased my family’s desire to revisit DLR anytime soon.

It makes Ariel’s Adventure look like PotC. Ariel may not be great, but at least it’s not a screen-based toy commercial... that you need reservations for... before being told you need to buy DLC to get a better experience...

BOB$LAND!
Pal Mickey would be a more comparable rival to WEB SLINGERS, as they’re both some kind of buyable add-on. Even then, Pal Mickey is the winner here; he interacted with the entire resort rather than a single specific ride and had uses outside of it. Expanded Pal Mickey, or something similar, would have worked well. Imagine if you got a web slinger weapon you could attach to Pal Mickey that would give you hints and tips, as well as an “option” similar to Gradius.

DavidDL

I won't go into much detail about Spider-Man Mania (saving that for the Avengers Campus thread) but I did visit the parks on Saturday and was able to do both of these.

The point of convergence for three fences wins, hands down. Unlike Spider-Man Mania, which replaced the superior It's Tough to be a Bug!, Disney has plussed this fence area by making it a non-smoking zone. Additionally, they've added comfortable and shaded benches which allows you to take in the ambience of the area. You are treated to the sights and sounds of multiple attractions (Autopia, Monorail, Matterhorn and Submarine Lagoon) while taking a load off and enjoying whatever your favorite Disney snack might be in the shade.

Three Different Fences Converging Near The Matterhorn (or TDFCNTM, as some super fans call it), has my vote and endorsement for "Best New Disney Attraction 2021".

199716172_516983192832379_6810016732791665165_n.jpg

204546831_903670643516221_2274681620604575839_n.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Lol. Where is that exactly and what are the three themes of those fences?

I believe those three fences are from the following themes/eras;
  • Left Mid Century Modern Fence = Original 1959 Subs/Autopia/Monorail fencing for that area
  • Middle Fence At Right Angle = 2000 New Autopia "themed" fence to Matterhorn area
  • Right Fence = 2007 Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage "themed" to, um... a South Pacific tropical lagoon next to a Swiss mountain

dsc02205-700x525-jpg.563031

It's a nice little reminder that most of Disneyland in Walt's era made little sense. But it worked, and it was fabulous.

Nowadays, you have to pay a half dozen Imagineers six figure incomes so that they can afford their Tesla's and take four months to decide what kind of fence to build somewhere. In the 20th century, they just built fences quickly and cheaply that looked cool.

Rich T

It’s really that bad!?
Yeah. It’s not just unimaginative and repetitious, it looks like it was created mainly to sell the expensive Spider-Bot toys. It’s a freaking toy commercial. And then there’s the fact that Disney reseves the “deluxe” ride experience for guests who purchase the expensive arm-toy zapper things.

It’s possibly the most cynical, greed-driven thing Disney’s built since DCA 1.0.

milordsloth

Yeah. It’s not just unimaginative and repetitious, it looks like it was created mainly to sell the expensive Spider-Bot toys. It’s a freaking toy commercial. And then there’s the fact that Disney reseves the “deluxe” ride experience for guests who purchase the expensive arm-toy zapper things.

It’s possibly the most cynical, greed-driven thing Disney’s built since DCA 1.0.
I rode the ride with and without the arm-toy thing and honestly preferred the experience without the "upgrade". There's more interactivity (open doors, pull/throw things) you can do with the normal webs vs. the blaster. I honestly thought the ride was pretty fun overall.

TrainsOfDisney

I rode the ride with and without the arm-toy thing and honestly preferred the experience without the "upgrade". There's more interactivity (open doors, pull/throw things) you can do with the normal webs vs. the blaster. I honestly thought the ride was pretty fun overall.
Would you compare it to midway mania?

Rich T

Thanks for that perspective. I can’t get past the Spiderbot Commercial nature of its design (not to mention the lost opportunities of what else could have been done with a Spiderman ride...cripes...), but it’s good to hear the other side. The fun factor, after all, is a huge part of the mix.

milordsloth

Would you compare it to midway mania?
Yes, similar in the sense you go from screen to screen shooting things and both make my arms tired haha. The screens on webslingers look fantastic and the hand tracking works really well. Hard for me to rank one over the other but I'm more of a Toy Story fan in general so would probably rank that one as a tiny bit more fun for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom