Thread ended

dinkyandbaby

Original Poster
I am going to be visiting in the middle of the summer during the sweltering heat. I like wearing a lot of makeup normally, but during this time I know it will be melting off my face. What do you normally do during hot Disney months to be comfortable in the park and keep your makeup on?

KikoKea

You might consider wearing only powder to the park to control the shine. Wear waterproof mascara since you will be sweating and might want to use a face wipe during the day. Don't forget the SPF block on your face and lips, too. Everyone is hot and sweaty and you will want to be comfortable and enjoying yourself, not worrying about your makeup.

Schneewittchen

Lip balm and sunblock. Baby powder if you're prone to chafage.

I'm a moderate makeup wearer in the real world. I feel naked without it....

But, makeup is just not worth the trouble in the heat/humidity/thunderstorms in FL. You're going to be outside all day. After about 13 hours when my mascara and eyeliner liquefy and ooze into my eye, all I want to do is poke out my eye.

If you really can't go without, try minimalist - lip gloss, eyeliner and blush. No foundation or powder, you'll just be sweaty, slimy and get zits.

It really depends on how much sunblock you typically need and how often you need to reapply... Personally, I am very fair and need to reapply SPF 50++ (usually 70 or 100) multiple times in the FL sun. For this reason most make up is pretty useless. Water proof or clear mascara, a cream based eye shadow (like the Maybelline Tattoo shadows), and a lip stain are all safe bets though! I don't recommend heavy lipstick or sticky gloss as you'll be drinking water all day due to the heat and it'll be very hard to maintain. Also, a translucent matte setting powder can be used over sunblock to help minimize shine and smooth out your face. Finish it off with a setting spray and it should hold pretty well, but beware of the crazy thunderstorms! Not much to do about those!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@dinkyandbaby , I agree with the suggestions of others above--in the extreme heat and humidity during a Florida summer, you'll probably want to keep any makeup to a minimum, and be sure to pack your sunscreen.. Also, bring some waterproof mascara (just be sure to pack a waterproof makeup remover in your luggage). I generally wear some tinted lip balm during the day as well.

After the sun goes down in the evening, you may then want to kick it up a notch--maybe a little sparkle eye shadow, and a bit more (smudged, Kohl pencil) eyeliner to add a bit more depth to your eyes. Perhaps in the evening, you could also try a little mineral powder foundation, and a bit more blush; but again, apply all with a light touch. I'd completely avoid any liquid foundations, unless you're spending your entire evening indoors in air conditioning. Lipstick or gloss are also fine. Temperatures outside can still be hot and humid in the evening, but not nearly as oppressive as in the daytime under the sun.

ItlngrlBella

I was down in July and wore the following all day then at night jumped in the pool and my makeup stayed on - similar to the makeup I have in my pic/avatar. (*essential - can purchase online)

- Estée Lauder moisturizer / for oily skin (or favorite moisturizer with spf)
-Mehron Barrier Spray*
-Smashbox primer* (matte)
- Smashbox Longwear Foundation*
- Ben Nye Banana Finishing Powder* (or whatever shade suits)
- Waterproof mascara (Smashbox)
- Urban Decay eyeshadow
-NYC brow powder/wax combo
- Ben Nye Final Seal Spray*
-tinted lip balm with spf

Bring rice paper blotting sheets and if you just a little powder. If you think that's too much glop then I'd just get a good base tan all over and use a tinted moisturizer, waterproof mascara and go light.

Drink water - to stay cool! Have fun!

PineapplePrincess

I don't wear foundation. Instead I use tinted moisturizer with SPF (Laura Mercier) and mix it with a BB cream. This works for me year round. I just can't go completely bare faced with all of the photographing that goes on!

Weather_Lady

Just for a little introduction...

I'm 39 years old with a combination skin type (oily on nose and forehead, dry everywhere else), persistent acne (thanks to polycystic ovary syndrome), no issues with sunburn (just not very prone to it) and no wrinkles (yet).

My makeup philosophy when on vacation (straight out of an episode of "Full House" from 20 years ago), is that, "the secret of makeup is to make it look like you're not wearing any," so I use a pretty light hand. My main objectives are blemish cover, and making my small eyes look a little larger. I also don't spend a lot on pricey brands -- it's just not in my budget.

My Disney makeup regimen (curated both for looking good, and packing small) includes:
1 - Cover Girl & Olay "Simply Ageless" serum primer (moisturizes, and keeps my foundation from melting, slipping or sweating off) -- I've also used Mary Kay moisturizer with sunscreen, PLUS the Mary Kay makeup primer, and had good results with that in the past
2 - Cover Girl & Olay "Tone Rehab" 2-in-1 foundation, applied with a sponge (two decades of acne and scarring demands at least medium coverage, and I find that this product lasts all day, and is so light that I don't even feel like I'm wearing foundation - plus it's SPF15)
3 - Cover Girl pressed powder compact (to minimize shine)
4 - Eyeliner pencil (Rimmel London "ScandalEyes" is my favorite kind), applied with a light hand (just enough to define the eyes -- we are not Adele)
5 - Eyelash curler (I have a travel-size one I bring on Disney trips)
6 - Waterproof mascara (no favorite brand) in a sample-size tube
7 - Eyeshadow chub pencils (easier to travel with, don't have to be placed in a 3-1-1 bag, and a pink one can double for a blusher if desired)
8 - Moisturizing, tinted lip balm with SPF 15+ (I skip the heavy lipsticks on vacation)

It takes me less than 5 minutes to do my makeup in the morning, start to finish. I sometimes take the lip balm with me in my park bag, but otherwise, I generally just "let it go," Elsa-style, for the rest of the day. If the weather is hot, I'll do a quick blot of my nose and forehead when I'm in the restroom (using an ordinary paper towel), but other than that, my makeup doesn't need any adjustment even in the muggiest conditions.

Last edited:

JandT2014

I was down in July and wore the following all day then at night jumped in the pool and my makeup stayed on - similar to the makeup I have in my pic/avatar. (*essential - can purchase online)

- Estée Lauder moisturizer / for oily skin (or favorite moisturizer with spf)
-Mehron Barrier Spray*
-Smashbox primer* (matte)
- Smashbox Longwear Foundation*
- Ben Nye Banana Finishing Powder* (or whatever shade suits)
- Waterproof mascara (Smashbox)
- Urban Decay eyeshadow
-NYC brow powder/wax combo
- Ben Nye Final Seal Spray*
-tinted lip balm with spf

Bring rice paper blotting sheets and if you just a little powder. If you think that's too much glop then I'd just get a good base tan all over and use a tinted moisturizer, waterproof mascara and go light.

Drink water - to stay cool! Have fun!
Yes! Primer is essential. I used one with SPF by Nars, an put on my Revlon colorstay liquid foundation over that, set with powder and you should be good all day. Makeup Forever brand has some great waterproof Creme products. Test out some samples of high end primers first to make sure they don't break you out. Also there's a new Covergirl mascara, The Supersizer, waterproof really stays on. Eyeshadow primer is also a must, but you probably know that:)

cdeev8690

Bare Minerals powder foundation is your friend. If you need to put something on your eyes, a waterproof mascara, light brown eyeliner pencil, or highlighter (Elf under eye conceal & highlighter!) or you can use eye shadow as your eyeliner.

For lips, lip gloss or lip stain, no lipstick (I recommend Stila stay all day liquid lipstick). The NARS Satin lip pencil is a new favorite of mine or you can go simple and get Burts Bees Pomegranate lip balm.

Carry some oil sheets with you, like Clean & Clear, in case you feel a little oily. No real need for blush. I find that after a day out in the sun, my face doesn't need blush. It gets a little sun-kissed and that's all the color I need :)

Also, I bring small skinny makeup products when traveling so it doesn't take up too much room. Bobbi Brown foundation stick (expensive, but worth it), NARS concealer stick, NARS satin lip pencil, Maybelline eyeliner. CVS sells a retractable Kabuki Brush from the Elf line which is sooooo nice. If you need to freshen up in a bathroom throughout the day, small travel-sized or makeup pouch friendly items are ideal.

Best advice would be to get a facial moisturizer with SPF. I use Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer before I put an ounce of makeup on my face. At the end of the day, Aveeno Ultra-Calming Makeup Removing Wipes.

Pro Tip : if you order through Sephora, they love to give out special gifts! Whether it's perfume samples or samples of other products. If you can find coupon codes online, you could be eligible for other free goodies. I love to bring stuff like this with me while traveling to avoid big bulky perfume bottles or other makeup products

vcstr

I second Pineapple Princess on tinted moisturizer! I don't wear a ton of makeup day to day, but I agree it's nice to have on when you're going to be in a lot of photos.

My product of choice is The Balm's "Balmshelter" tinted moisturizer with SPF. It's really light but still keeps things looking fresh and smooth. I also usually wear waterproof mascara in the parks. That was my look of choice and always held up to heat and long days as both a guest and a CM (and my costume didn't offer a shorts option so things got pretty warm when I was outside in the sun a lot).

BiffyClyro

I know it feel weird/ make you self conscious but it will be so hot that I wouldn't bother. Wear some lipgloss and put tinted moistouriser on your face with an SPF. You'll tan in no time.

If it really concerns you maybe just a little concealer. I'm sure you'll look lovely regardless, bpdy confidence. *Insert Flexed arm emoji*

jrogue

Following this thread for all the amazing tips!!! I usually try to avoid wearing makeup there but then I always feel like I look terrifying so this year was going to be my first year wearing it!

Sans Souci

I second Pineapple Princess on tinted moisturizer! I don't wear a ton of makeup day to day, but I agree it's nice to have on when you're going to be in a lot of photos.

My product of choice is The Balm's "Balmshelter" tinted moisturizer with SPF. It's really light but still keeps things looking fresh and smooth. I also usually wear waterproof mascara in the parks. That was my look of choice and always held up to heat and long days as both a guest and a CM (and my costume didn't offer a shorts option so things got pretty warm when I was outside in the sun a lot).

Does it stay put on oily skin? I love The Balm. I have The Balm Voyage travel palette and I am really with pleased it. I'd like to try more of their stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom