Thoughts on Pop Century?

dizneeboy

Hey there,
I just booked a trip for my family in June at PC. I've stayed at almost every resort on property, but just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on this new one. We have a preferred room in the 60's section.

Thanks!

Dwarful

Well, dizneeboy, we also will be first timers at PC this June! We have been happy at all the other Value Resorts so I am sure we will be happy at PC. We are going June 4- June 13th. From the Disney Planning DVD it looks to have a great theme. The only negative thing I have heard from people deals with the A/C units in the room turning off automatically after a certain time period w/o movement. I have a sort of plan, but my husband says it sounds like something Lucy & Ethel would have dreamed up! (I don't think he has much faith in my plan ;)

Upvote 0

Javier&Christie

We loved it.. nice depature from the All Star environment we were so used to..

The rooms are pretty much the same caliber as the All Star, except the bathrooms are brighter and the furniture is much nicer looking. The 25" TV is a plus for winding down at night :) Also, the fact that they're newer is nice too :D

I love the fact that the high school "groups" won't be staying there very often, it was pretty quiet while we were there. Food court is nice, same idea as the All Star really, we bought one new mug this trip, we'll buy another one next trip.. (haha, like we'd really use our mugs for one "length of stay") :D

The lobby is very nice too.. we enjoyed all the neat stuff from the different decades, a real timewarp :)

Upvote 0

dizneeboy

Original Poster
That's interesting about the A/C. I know that the contemporary has an automatic shut off if you open your sliding glass door to the balcony in the tower. So, if you take a nap and don't move, the A/C will shut off? Yikes...thats not good ; )

Enjoy your trip in June Dwarful!

Upvote 0

dizneeboy

Original Poster
Originally posted by Javier&Christie
The lobby is very nice too.. we enjoyed all the neat stuff from the different decades, a real timewarp :)

Since several different generations will be joining us, I think this will be really cool for them all to see. Thanks for the input J&C.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

Good news! I stayed at Pop Century two weeks ago and my a/c did not shut off. It wouldn't go below 68 but it ran all night. We were very comfortable.

Upvote 0

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by Dwarful
The only negative thing I have heard from people deals with the A/C units in the room turning off automatically after a certain time period w/o movement. I have a sort of plan, but my husband says it sounds like something Lucy & Ethel would have dreamed up! (I don't think he has much faith in my plan ;)

LOL i wanna hear this plan
i love lucy!!

Upvote 0

cabihler

Pop Century is GREAT!!!!!!!!:lol: :sohappy: :sohappy: :wave:

I was there for 5 nights the 1st week in February (am going back the week leading into 4th July and again the 1st week in August enjoyed PC so much I'm staying there again both times although CBR is still my ultimate favorite).....I stayed in the 60's building C 3rd floor just above/in back of the lifeguard's station. The room was great especially for a Value...no problem with the AC or Heat turning off automatically, it never happened to be.

I took Mears into WDW so I cannot speak about the parking situation other than to say if you are driving into WDW and you can park-it and leave-it then that is the best thing to do. The best parking situations I have ever had were at teh CBR and at FWL.......pretty much everything else was tolerable to yuck.

Buses.......Disney really did a superior job here. Each bus station is queued similar to how they queue you for the rides in the parks. If you can't walk into the parks or take a resort yacht then the bus system at PC is almost as good as it is in the CBR. Never waited too long for a bus and the PC was filled to capacity when I was there.

Food court system works very well and the food is really decent with a superior choice of food types......i had the supreme pizza and I thought it was great (not like or good as a Brooklyn Pizza but exceptional)....the bottom crust was really very flavorable. Much to choose from in the way of wines and beers although the prices are what you would expect from Disney (suggestion....bring a cooler with your own supply of soda, wine, beer etc and fill the cooler with ice). I had a short walk for coffee which was passable at best so I would recommend that if you are a real coffee freak then brink your own coffeemaker and a good supply of Chock-Full-Of-Nuts to start each morning.

Look....if you want Concierge service then the PC isn't for you...then again NO Value or Moderate is then. I like to spend upwards to 4 weeks in WDW each year. I LOVE the CBR (have stayed there probably 25 times) and I need to stay more at the PC to give it a fair chance...but so far.......for the price it is unbeatable.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi All I stayed at Pop last weekend. Atmosphere is AWESOME or Groovy as they like to say there. We were really at capacity but there wasnt too mch noise at all and the beds and pillows wer great. VERY comfy pillows. I only went to the food court for breakfast one morning and I didnt care for it. The breakfast potatoes were WAY too salty. That was the only drawback to this wonderfully priced resort. Great value!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Javier&Christie

As far as parking goes, it's identical to All Star in the way the lots are setup pretty much.

Bus situation.. we waited for about 45 minutes after MK closed to go through the gates, and the line for POP was completely full, and also was a straight line all the way back to near the beginning of the Bus station itself.. kinda scary.

We instead hopped onto the resort monorail and took a bus from contemporary to Downtown Disney since it was only 10pm and the night was young :)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Sorry I completely forgot that part of my posting!!! When I was there Pop was at 90% capacity. After closing at MK I was very impressed by the Bus service. They were bringing in the busses literally 3 at a time!!! Great job by the coordinators!!! Belle

Upvote 0

frazierle

We had a perferred room at the 60's building 2 weeks ago. I initially thought I would have the "pool view" but ended up facing the lake. I actually liked the lake view better than the pool. Rooms were nice (same size as All Stars), as Belle stated I thought the bus service was great, no problem with the AC and the food court - well was a food court. Very short walk to the pool, laundry, lake, bar :) (had inlaws with us) and food court. Overall we had a good experience. My one complaint would be parking. We had late dinner reservations twice and both times returning to the resort I could not park the area for the 60's building. One night I had to park at the back end of the 50's (it's a good walk), the other night I parked in front of the resort (check in parking). Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Ok I am SOOO thrilled to hear that those who have stayed recently did not have A/C problems. I had read on previous posts about visitors who had the A/C shut off when there was no movement in the rooms. THis was not a thrilling thought, going in June with a Gathering of 12, (2 of whom would prefer to stay off site--don't ask).

Guess I won't have to worry about my Lucy plan. Which was to buy the large Mickey/Minnie Mylar balloon for each room, tie them to the back of chair so that the movement of the a/c would blow them about, which would cause the balloons to move about, which would trigger the motion sensor to keep the a/c going through out the night! ok, so now you all know why my DH said it was a "lucy/ethel" plan!

Upvote 0

Woody13

Originally posted by Dwarful
Guess I won't have to worry about my Lucy plan. Which was to buy the large Mickey/Minnie Mylar balloon for each room, tie them to the back of chair so that the movement of the a/c would blow them about, which would cause the balloons to move about, which would trigger the motion sensor to keep the a/c going through out the night! ok, so now you all know why my DH said it was a "lucy/ethel" plan!

The type of "motion sensors" used at the PC on the thermostats use both body heat and motion to detect a person(s) in the room. Mylar balloons will not work. You could put a mouse in small cage just in front of the sensor. That would work fine but it might upset the "mousekeepers"!

The thermostats do indeed shut down after you leave the room to save energy. Don't worry, it will not be a problem.:wave:

Upvote 0

Woody13

Originally posted by Javier&Christie
As far as parking goes, it's identical to All Star in the way the lots are setup pretty much.

The parking at the All-Stars (which is good) is not anything like the parking facilities at the PC.

The parking at the PC is totally inadequate. Hourglass lake takes up a huge amount of real estate and limits the parking areas. The PC has three 50's buildings (with 1,113 rooms total) and only two tiny parking lots (300 cars max). The PC has two 60's buildings and the parking lot (one) is tiny too. It doesn't get much better with the other buildings. Goofy must have been in charge of the parking lot design.

The designers have made changes to increase the parking areas in recent months, but the parking is still a BIG problem during busy times. I would never stay at the PC during a peak time unless I did not have a vehicle.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom