This was the Magic Kingdom?

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Hard to believe 20 years ago you could see this...

2qnr2is.jpg

and now you see this...

5exr0m.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It was a big improvement. I wish they would take a chain saw to the trees in the American Garden Theater as well.

jakeman

It was a big improvement. I wish they would take a chain saw to the trees in the American Garden Theater as well.
I agree. Substantial foliage is fine, but there comes a point where it looks overgrown.

Not to get into it, but what are the shrubs they added to the new "planters"? Could they possibly just be slow growing foliage? That would mean that Disney simply just "reset" the area to allow for another 40 years of growth while addressing the traffic issues that had become an issue in the area.

It's interesting that the time point is cherry-picked. No pictures from the 70s or 80s when the trees were significantly smaller.

I guess that would be the issue in discussing something like this. Your personal time point when you felt the hub look best is just an opinion.

I personally don't buy the "blocking the site lines to other lands argument". If that was a concern, why wasn't it addressed on opening day? It also doesn't mesh with how themeing is treated in other areas of MK much less the rest of the resort.

draybook

I prefer the old. Kind of keeps the mystique of the castle until you get up on it. Plus I like the greenery. Too much asphalt makes me feel like I'm in a WalMart parking lot or something.

NYwdwfan

I guess that would be the issue in discussing something like this. Your personal time point when you felt the hub look best is just an opinion.

I was going through slides from my childhood Disneyworld trips at my parents house over the weekend - I could only find the ones spanning from about 1976 to 1982 - and it's unreal how so many aspects look EXACTLY the same - the giveaway at the time period is the crazy plaid clothes, etc. Other things have completely changed. As I said - they're slides - and we do have a slide converter so once I get them to .jpeg format I'm going to post - it just may take a bit.

WDW_Princess

It opens up the area so much. There are places to sit now to watch fireworks and the parade. I like the new better.
Now, if the can just move that stupid hat so I can see DHS like it used to be, but that is a discussion for a different thread.

heartodisney

Very nice post of pics...I know that this has been done before on older posts of the other parks...we really need a thread dedicated to this!

Scuttle

I prefer the old. Kind of keeps the mystique of the castle until you get up on it. Plus I like the greenery. Too much asphalt makes me feel like I'm in a WalMart parking lot or something.

It's tough I like them both, but totally see why they cut them down.

sponono88

Looks much nicer with the big, lush trees.

The park means a lot to me. It's something that'll never be finished, something that I can keep developing and adding to. Not only can I add things, but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year. - Walt Disney

loveofamouse

I like the newer. There's more color and you can see the castle much better. Makes for better pics and more of a :O moment when new people are walking down MS:USA. The older pics looks empty. JMO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom