This School Year Needs to END....

lpet11984

Original Poster
So I'm sitting here in my office, finishing up some end of year business and :brick:to myself for just recently having discovered the chit-chat part of these boards...It's perfect timing though, as we've just had a tragedy happen that I need to talk about...I hope this is the right place to put it...

I'm an instrumental music teacher in a high school who has unfortunately seen its fair share of death this year. We had an 2007 grad and a pair of current students (sophomore and senior) who were all killed in separate automobile accidents earlier this year. We've had a major bomb scare, dogs and all. We had freak snow storms that almost caused us to extend our school year. We've had lock downs. Teachers passing away from cancer. We are a relatively small district with good kids, and to have all of this happen within 9 months is just weird. And just as things are winding down and we're almost in the last week of school...

...we've just had a student commit suicide. A senior who would've graduated this week. It's so unbelievably sad and tragic, and yet everyone is so mentally exhausted and numbed from everything this year that there's no energy left to even let it sink in.

Here's hoping everyone makes it safely through finals next week so the students can finally get the rest they need...

Nemo14

So I'm sitting here in my office, finishing up some end of year business and :brick:to myself for just recently having discovered the chit-chat part of these boards...It's perfect timing though, as we've just had a tragedy happen that I need to talk about...I hope this is the right place to put it...

I'm an instrumental music teacher in a high school who has unfortunately seen its fair share of death this year. We had an 2007 grad and a pair of current students (sophomore and senior) who were all killed in separate automobile accidents earlier this year. We've had a major bomb scare, dogs and all. We had freak snow storms that almost caused us to extend our school year. We've had lock downs. Teachers passing away from cancer. We are a relatively small district with good kids, and to have all of this happen within 9 months is just weird. And just as things are winding down and we're almost in the last week of school...

...we've just had a student commit suicide. A senior who would've graduated this week. It's so unbelievably sad and tragic, and yet everyone is so mentally exhausted and numbed from everything this year that there's no energy left to even let it sink in.

Here's hoping everyone makes it safely through finals next week so the students can finally get the rest they need...
Sorry to hear all this. Hopefully the coming summer break will help raise your spirits. ((Hugs))

figmentmom

What a run of terrible, sad luck! :( I teach music, too, although I'm elementary vocal music in upstate New York. It's very hard to see tragic things happen to your students. We lost six children one school year to a house fire, a bike accident and an auto accident, all under the age of 10. It wa a terrible time.

Hope you make it safely through the rest of the school year - and get a much-needed break yourself!

lpet11984

Original Poster
Sorry to hear all this. Hopefully the coming summer break will help raise your spirits. ((Hugs))

Thanks-- I'm sure it will, it's just been a very hard year; especially for our seniors.

What a run of terrible, sad luck! :( I teach music, too, although I'm elementary vocal music in upstate New York. It's very hard to see tragic things happen to your students. We lost six children one school year to a house fire, a bike accident and an auto accident, all under the age of 10. It was a terrible time.

Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine what a rough year that must've been!! How terrible! It's so hard having to keep the high school students focussed, I can't imagine how hard it must've been in an elementary school! I'm sure a bit of vacation was some welcome relief that year too, for the teachers and the students.

PoohBear119

As a fellow teacher (high school English) I can relate with the craziness. I work at a very small school, so we haven't seen as horrific times as you, but the stress of trying to get seniors to graduate... A few kids have had really hard family times at home. We've had students lose brothers and sisters, parents... see here's a hug for you all:animwink:*** I have 8 days left, so I'm counting down.

figmentmom

As a fellow teacher (high school English) I can relate with the craziness. I work at a very small school, so we haven't seen as horrific times as you, but the stress of trying to get seniors to graduate... A few kids have had really hard family times at home. We've had students lose brothers and sisters, parents... see here's a hug for you all:animwink:*** I have 8 days left, so I'm counting down.

OK, fellow teachers, *group hug* :lol: :wave:

lpet11984

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts...we still have one week of school left (last day is next Friday), but two of those days are half days for finals. Graduation tomorrow night will certainly be bitter sweet (the song I picked for the orchestra/choirs to perform is "He Lives In You" from the Lion King on Broadway-- it's almost scary how appropriate it is...) but here's hoping it's smooth sailing from here.

I'll second that group hug for teachers! ((HUG))

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom