Trip Report This is the End, Beautiful Friend - October 2020 Trip

Ok ok, the title is a bit dramatic, but if you get the music reference, we can be friends. Fun fact: I used to write that on the last page of all my journals in high school :hilarious: I have always been a bit of a drama queen.

I've gone back and forth about even doing this trip report because, as you can probably tell from the title, we were not as happy with the current state of WDW as others are. I'll tell you up front, we don't plan to go back until things are back to semi-normal. I guess we'll use our judgement on how normal it needs to be before we make the effort.

Here we are, well what you can see of us...

I'm in the middle of busy wedding season, but I'll try to get this all written up quickly! Hope you're all doing well, I've enjoyed following along with everyone else's reports, so I hope you'll enjoy mine. The good and the sad 😬 We did have TWO magic meetups, which were highlights of the trip!

Let's do this thing!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I love the Doors 💖💖

I'm really looking forward to hear the ugly side of the trip. I'm sorry it happened, but it will help me in planning, so selfishly, thanks for being honest 😂😂
Hahaha yeah thankfully it wasn't a BAD trip, just definitely not something we want to do again for a while.

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip! We have so many big things canceled this year. Our next trip isn’t scheduled until next October! 😭
It's been so tough!! I am hoping we can still go in the late spring or early summer, but we'll see how things develop once the vaccine is available.

Also here!

giphy.gif
HEYYYY! Gosh I love that movie.
I’m here, I’m here!!!
full house running GIF
woooo!

Excited to see your report! Happy for the good and sorry for the not so good. Looking forward to reading more!

excited bobby hill GIF
Thanks for following along!
Nice to see you again!! Can't wait to read more!
Hi!! Thanks for joining in.
tenor.gif

I always enjoy your TR's. I'm glad that you decided to write it even though some stuff wasn't as magical as usual.
Aww yay! So glad you enjoy them.

I'm here too. Still planning on January so I appreciate the update.
Hopefully this will help you set your expectations! Although, who knows how much will change by then. Now you will at least be able to park hop when you go!

Baby E and I are here! (He loves a good Disney story)
Tell E we said hi!!

If I can't be there, the next best thing is to view some recent pictures.....
Totally!

I am now here! You may continue.....;) :joyfull:
hahaha hello!

I'm here too and can't wait for more of your trip report! We won't go to disney right now either, because we are waiting for the no mask and no restrictions order. I hope it comes sooner rather than later, after this covid spike dies down and we are getting back to normal, whatever that is:)
Me too! It's so hard to wait, but like other things in life, this too shall pass. Hopefully soon and with not many more deaths :cry:

I'm here and excited to see more.
Yay! Welcome!

I’m here. I guess that’s all. Looking forward to seeing more.
Hey! Welcome!

Yay! I'm here..thanks for bringing me back to life here on the boards :hilarious:
Woo hoo! Glad you braved your Disney blues for me :hilarious:
I'm here and enjoying following along!
Welcome!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Before I get to dinner, I figured I'd address the crowd level at Disney Springs. R insists that it felt less crowded, but I still felt like it was pretty crowded, mainly in the walkways. I am not really that bothered by it since everyone is wearing a mask, but I do know people who have anxiety about it right now, and I can see it being a problem. Even Brittany said she felt like it was normal crowds! I mean it's not spring break level, but it's full.

Ok. So new art print in hand, we headed toward our dinner destination, which I was finally able to get a few weeks before the trip!

Pardon my photos, I didn't bring my camera with me this evening.

I was VERY excited to try Wine Bar George! The menu was pretty slim, but even so, it sounded good. Plus all the wine choices!!

We had a corner table upstairs. The hostess made sure we knew it was a spectacular table. I do agree, it was a great spot!

Ok so here's something WEIRD. Our server had been by and chatted with us, and he was going to bring us a malbec he liked. While waiting for him, I reached up and scratched my side and felt a HUGE lump. Of course my brain starts going to all the wrong places. Either it's cancer or I've been bitten by a deadly spider. Either way, I'm going to die, this is my last meal...dramatic, remember?

I lifted my shirt enough to peek at it (much to R's embarrassment) and couldn't tell much in the dim light. I just tried to push it from my mind since the server was headed over with our wine.

It was that top malbec. We were worried it was another one that was like $60 a glass, but we figured he wouldn't have brought that one without making sure we knew the price. Anyway, it was lovely!! He told us a little about this vineyard too, which was nice.

We ordered some small plates and one entree. It all arrived super fast!

Burrata - seasonal tomatoes, olive oil, grilled bread

This was good, but not as good as the bread app we got at Jaleo.

Santa Carota Short Ribs - red potato mash, caramelized vegetables

Our entree came next. It was ok. I LOVED the potatoes, but the meat was just ok. The only other entree was chicken, and I wasn't in the mood. So this was the best option. In retrospect, I'd rather have gotten all small plates.

Crispy Mac & Cheese Bites - tomato nage, pecorino

Ok I freaking LOVED these!! I'd heard people mention them before, and it sounded like something I'd like. So glad we got them! I could have eaten more.

Chicken Skewers - togarashi, Asian slaw

This was the star for us! We both loved these skewers.

We both got another glass of wine, but I don't remember what it was! I don't even remember if it was another malbec. I know it would have been red, but this is what I get for not taking notes.

Ok so now that we were done, I did something AMATEUR! I got up from the table and just walked toward the stairs.... guess what I forgot? MY MASK. They'd given us paper bags to put them in while we ate, so it wasn't where I could see it and I just forgot. We don't do much at home, so wearing the mask constantly was new for me. I looked back and R was at the table putting his mask on and it clicked. I zoomed back to the table, head down, feeling like a jerk. I couldn't believe no one noticed and said anything.

Anyway, I put the mask on and noted that I would not be putting it in a bag again :hilarious:

We decided to grab dessert somewhere and Amorette's Patisserie sounded good.

We waited in a short line and got a Mickey Mousse to take back to the room.

We didn't stick around too long after that since we were tired from traveling.

Wandering out of springs.

Back at the Riviera! I should have taken the time to get a nice shot of this entrance detail during the trip, but I only took a few phone snaps of it.

We dug into our treat when we got settled. It was yummy! Perfect cap to the evening. I believe R also picked up a beer from the store downstairs. He got a Fat Tire and only drank half of it. He saved the rest for the next day and had a FLAT Tire :hilarious:

Update on the lump situation. It definitely looked like a bug bite, but I couldn't figure out what it could have been. It didn't hurt, so I ruled out deadly spider. I'm not allergic to mosquitos so it wouldn't have been that. @Doc Disney and I are always saying we couldn't live in Florida because of the bugs, and this certainly proved my point :hilarious: I use arthritis cream on my hand (photographer problems) so I put some of that on there to try to reduce the swelling and went on to bed.

Up Next: First park day!!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Oct 26

Our planned park for the day was Epcot, which doesn't open until 11, so we didn't set alarms or move particularly fast this morning. Unfortunately neither of us slept well. For one, the light from the microwave was SO BRIGHT. We ended up putting two hand towels over it the next night...and could still see light through. I don't know the bed and pillows were just not right. We weren't very comfortable. But we do have the most comfortable bed ever at home, so maybe we're just divas.

Anyway, I got up and read on the balcony. I enjoyed some coffee and a view out the front. It's the parking lot, but it's not a bad view for a standard room!

Pretty light

My view while I read

This air vent was interesting. Kept me from getting hot out there.

Don't know what my face is doing, but I'm ready for Epcot! This was at 9:30...so we had an hour and half before opening. But we headed out anyway.

Loved these photos of Walt! They were hard to get a photo of with the lights and glass, but they were cool.

Walking to the Skyliner. I couldn't resist shooting a picture of these mosaics every time we passed them.

No wait for the skyliner!

When we got to Epcot, there was a line back to the bridge that leads to the Boardwalk area. As we were walking up to the back of the line, they started sending people through the temperature screening, so we were headed in 10:15am. Not bad! It went pretty quickly.

I was very impressed with the new security! Went way way faster.

Up Next: Walking around Epcot

RememberWhen

Before I get to dinner, I figured I'd address the crowd level at Disney Springs. R insists that it felt less crowded, but I still felt like it was pretty crowded, mainly in the walkways. I am not really that bothered by it since everyone is wearing a mask, but I do know people who have anxiety about it right now, and I can see it being a problem. Even Brittany said she felt like it was normal crowds! I mean it's not spring break level, but it's full.

Ok. So new art print in hand, we headed toward our dinner destination, which I was finally able to get a few weeks before the trip!

I was VERY excited to try Wine Bar George! The menu was pretty slim, but even so, it sounded good. Plus all the wine choices!!

We had a corner table upstairs. The hostess made sure we knew it was a spectacular table. I do agree, it was a great spot!

Ok so here's something WEIRD. Our server had been by and chatted with us, and he was going to bring us a malbec he liked. While waiting for him, I reached up and scratched my side and felt a HUGE lump. Of course my brain starts going to all the wrong places. Either it's cancer or I've been bitten by a deadly spider. Either way, I'm going to die, this is my last meal...dramatic, remember?

I lifted my shirt enough to peek at it (much to R's embarrassment) and couldn't tell much in the dim light. I just tried to push it from my mind since the server was headed over with our wine.

It was that top malbec. We were worried it was another one that was like $60 a glass, but we figured he wouldn't have brought that one without making sure we knew the price. Anyway, it was lovely!! He told us a little about this vineyard too, which was nice.

Our entree came next. It was ok. I LOVED the potatoes, but the meat was just ok. The only other entree was chicken, and I wasn't in the mood. So this was the best option. In retrospect, I'd rather have gotten all small plates.

Ok I freaking LOVED these!! I'd heard people mention them before, and it sounded like something I'd like. So glad we got them! I could have eaten more.

We both got another glass of wine, but I don't remember what it was! I don't even remember if it was another malbec. I know it would have been red, but this is what I get for not taking notes.

Ok so now that we were done, I did something AMATEUR! I got up from the table and just walked toward the stairs.... guess what I forgot? MY MASK. They'd given us paper bags to put them in while we ate, so it wasn't where I could see it and I just forgot. We don't do much at home, so wearing the mask constantly was new for me. I looked back and R was at the table putting his mask on and it clicked. I zoomed back to the table, head down, feeling like a jerk. I couldn't believe no one noticed and said anything.

Anyway, I put the mask on and noted that I would not be putting it in a bag again :hilarious:

Back at the Riviera! I should have taken the time to get a nice shot of this entrance detail during the trip, but I only took a few phone snaps of it.

We dug into our treat when we got settled. It was yummy! Perfect cap to the evening. I believe R also picked up a beer from the store downstairs. He got a Fat Tire and only drank half of it. He saved the rest for the next day and had a FLAT Tire :hilarious:

Update on the lump situation. It definitely looked like a bug bite, but I couldn't figure out what it could have been. It didn't hurt, so I ruled out deadly spider. I'm not allergic to mosquitos so it wouldn't have been that. @Doc Disney and I are always saying we couldn't live in Florida because of the bugs, and this certainly proved my point :hilarious: I use arthritis cream on my hand (photographer problems) so I put some of that on there to try to reduce the swelling and went on to bed.

Food all looks so amazing! I might be seriously missing restaurant food... the pictures are killing me!
So glad you had a nice dinner. It can make such a difference in a trip.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

I read the menu as $10 a gallon at first and thought, wow, those are Italy wine prices!! Awesome!! 😂😂

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Oct 26 continued

Unlike in the past, there were no ropes blocking the way at any point in World Showcase. So we headed off toward France. We knew nothing was open, but we figured we'd rather stroll around than just sit somewhere. We previewed some of the menus as we walked.

So empty! A truly beautiful thing.

You can tell it was a little on the cloudy side, but no rain, just not bright sun at the moment.

I never really paid attention to this fountain, but I love it. One of my favorite things about Rome is that there are fountains everywhere. Might be in other cities too, but that's the only one I've been in for more than a couple of hours :joyfull:

Obviously it was warm, my hair is already up in a ponytail and we'd been there for 10 minutes.

Y'all tired of empty Epcot photos yet?

I never really stop to take pictures of the fronts of these pavilions because there are always people everywhere, so it was nice to take a second to snap these!

We had about 10 minutes to go at this point!

I just realized we never went and saw the new Canada film! Something for the next trip, I guess. At least that is something LP would probably like.

I'm pretty sure we just meandered around that area until 11, and them we went into World Showplace, where they had several booths set up and plenty of tables. I was excited for the air conditioning after our morning stroll!

• Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese with Boursin® Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese topped with Herbed Panko – $4.50
  • Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese with Boursin® Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese Sauce topped with Carrots, Celery, and Blue Cheese Crumbles – $5.50
  • Lobster Macaroni and Cheese with Boursin® Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese Sauce and Lobster Cream topped with Herbed Panko – $6.50
These were all decent!! The gourmet one was our favorite, then I think lobster was next and then buffalo. I would have rather just had the gourmet, but I'm glad we gave them all a shot! We also got a 12oz pour of Stiegl Brewery Radler. The 12oz pours were AWESOME!!! We love to share, so it was perfect for us.

I had to visit the restroom while we were here, and I was blown away by how huge it was. Had it all to myself too :hilarious:

Next we got the liquid nitro cake pops, one plain and one with M&Ms. We should not have gotten two. They were good, but soooooo rich! We threw a lot of it away. I prefer the old liquid nitro dish, but oh well, these were still tasty.

Up next: more Epcot

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Oct 26 continued

They had a festival favorites booth, and we got the Fisherman's Pie that is usually at the Ireland booth. It was good as usual! But we were out of practice and we were already full.

We left there and headed toward Future World (or what's left of it) to let our food settle before we got more.

R would have skipped this, but I figured WHY NOT?! It's a walk-on, what else we gonna do?

I think there may have been a 5 or 10 minute wait listed, but it was truly a walk on. I enjoyed it! I think we've only ridden this once or twice.

We headed toward the Land Pavilion next and saw Joy out frolicking

As we walked into the Land, I remembered that the replacement for Circle of Life was there, so we headed in there. We were the last party in for that show since all the dots were spoken for.

The theatre was far from full, even with social distancing guidelines met, but they can only fit so many people in that waiting area. Not like people are clamoring for it. I thought it was well-done, but R doesn't like stuff that's so heavy-handed. But I mean, hey, if that's how they get people to care about the environment, I'm ok with being preached at!

We headed downstairs and got in line for Living with the Land. Another ride that we rarely do, even though I love it.

The wait was 10 minutes, I believe. We basically walked on, but snaking through those switchbacks takes a while.

I want to grow some Mickey pumpkins next year!!

Up Next: More Epcot

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Don't feel bad. I did it the other day myself--at WORK!! 🤦‍♀️ The sad thing is it took me about 5 minutes to realize it!!

Here & all caught up now!!

Ugh I felt so dumb! It was the only time it happened, thankfully.

Glad you're here!

Me too! Last Monday it took me until I was almost in my office before I realized I hadn’t put on a mask (it is required from the time we get out of the car) - which means I walked thru the parking lot, up one flight of stairs past security (even asked them a question!) and made it all the way across the building (our building is HUGE - from one end to the other is 5 mins walk) and was waiting in front of the service elevator when I suddenly said to myself « something is missing » :banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom