Third parking garage coming to Disney Springs

Slov72

I believe the the sensors are being replaced, not removed. This work began a few weeks ago and the sensors were removed from Level 4 of the orange garage. More recently where the sensor used to be there us now new and longer wires dangling from the ceiling. Strong indication that more work, new sensors, are on the way. Unknown to me is whether or not this is the current vendor replacing the sensors, perhaps a warranty issue. Or whether an entirely new vendor is putting in their own system.
As far as the new garage when you drive past it and I-4 you can clearly see green lights in the ceiling above every parking spot.
There was a discussion about this at some point in the past. I believe the consensus was that Disney was trying very hard to get out of their contract with the prior sensor vendor because they were not functioning as expected. They were moving forward with a new AI/video sensing solution that was supposedly much more effective and accurate. Maybe someone who remembers better or knows of the original thread could comment.

EPCOTCenterLover

Personally, we LOVED Disney Springs and wish we had scheduled more time to be there. The Downtown Disney thing needed to be redone. It was getting old.

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

There's some sensor working going on in the Orange garage. Today they had the 2nd floor blocked off and there were a number of crews on ladders working, also the system appeared to be entirely off on the other floors with the outside signs, the row signs, and spot indicators all dark.

halltd

Just in case it hasn’t been shown, here’s the current status of Orange on the fourth level. Lime appears to be further along when I parked there several days ago.

Some rows are showing correctly with only green lights where spaces are open:

Some rows are still showing red and green:

And here you can see the more slender “stick” with the light on the bottom is where the old sensor AND light were. New conduit and a sensor are now centered over each parking space:

The row and floor counters are not working inside or outside of the garage as of yet.

mm121

Just in case it hasn’t been shown, here’s the current status of Orange on the fourth level. Lime appears to be further along when I parked there several days ago.

Some rows are showing correctly with only green lights where spaces are open:
View attachment 351317

Some rows are still showing red and green:
View attachment 351318

And here you can see the more slender “stick” with the light on the bottom is where the old sensor AND light were. New conduit and a sensor are now centered over each parking space:
View attachment 351320

The row and floor counters are not working inside or outside of the garage as of yet.
Don't really remember what the old ones looked like, but if these are more accurate that can only be a good thing.

Maybe the old ones couldn't pick up motorcycles etc.

Disone

If you park in the center of Grapefruit, it will be 1,435 feet of walking, at least, to get to the first storefront in DS.
I guess a little over a quarter mile is not so bad?

I do question why The Pedestrian overpass has do not have coverings on them. In rain prone Florida it would be night if the ceilings of the pedestrian overpasses were more than justopen air mesh. Then again, in Rain prone Florida one should probably just have an umbrella.

Disone

Probably to prevent people from congregating on them to use as shelter.
Probably. And also short-sighted on their part. If I park in the grapefruit garage and it starts to downpour, I don't even have a dry way to get to the stores.... am I going to stay or am I going to unpark and leave?

peter11435

Probably. And also short-sighted on their part. If I park in the grapefruit garage and it starts to downpour, I don't even have a dry way to get to the stores.... am I going to stay or am I going to unpark and leave?
I don’t think it was as much short-sighted as it was intentional. I doubt they want to encourage large numbers of people to congregate on an elevated metal bridge in a potential thunder storm.

DisneyCane

Since Disney Springs is outdoors, how is that any different than parking in Orange or Lime? Your choice is stay in the garage until it stops raining or get wet.

Disone

Fai
Since Disney Springs is outdoors, how is that any different than parking in Orange or Lime? Your choice is stay in the garage until it stops raining or get wet.

Fair. But there is a difference. With orange and lime you are right next to the shopping district. It's easy to bolt to the closest store. This is not the case with grapefruit where you must go through to Long stretches of overpasses. You will get soaked before you have any opportunity to bolt into the closest store.

Take a Look at the Orange County Convention Center pedestrian overpasses. They are covered. They don't seem to be concerned with congregating populations there.

Ditto for the parking garage at the premium outlet mall nearby. It keeps you covered until you actually get to the mall, it's pedestrian overpass is covered.

It ain't going to happen now and that's fine, but I still find it an odd choice. Imo, my guess would be it was more financially base than any concern about people congregating on the bridges.

Disone

Who cares honestly? It shouldn't be Disney's responsibility to keep people dry. It is an established fact that Florida is a rainy state so if you're unprepared for that, tough luck. You are nitpicking to an insufferable extreme
Hello teapot....... one should not throw stones if they live in glass houses. One minor critique when all of my otherwise positive reviews of all things Disney Springs does not make this an insufferable extreme of nitpicking. Geesh man. This is the "nicer" you?!?!?!

Last edited:

cspencer96

I am certain the mesh roof is intentional, just as how the solid roof of the Magic Kingdom monorail station is seen as a design flaw hampering safety for egress during summer rain, and half an hour later a safety feature during high temperatures once the rain passes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom