Third parking garage coming to Disney Springs

Monorail_Red_77

Yep, the area labeled Pond PP1 will be the replacement pond for the one being filled in.
that area is kinda weird. Jan 2014 there was no pond. Then by Feb 2015 there was a large pond built. now they are going to fill it in again for the new garage. I wonder if they didn't think they'd need the garage or thought it would go in another place. Seems like a waste of money, effort and resources to actually plan it this way.

Jan 2014
DS 2014-01-17.jpg

Feb 2015
DS 2015-02-18.jpg

mm121

that area is kinda weird. Jan 2014 there was no pond. Then by Feb 2015 there was a large pond built. now they are going to fill it in again for the new garage. I wonder if they didn't think they'd need the garage or thought it would go in another place. Seems like a waste of money, effort and resources to actually plan it this way.

Jan 2014
View attachment 188835

Feb 2015
View attachment 188836
that does seem odd, but i'd guess a 3rd garage wasn't in the original plan

or they were thinking a different location like over by the west west side for a future garage

though since the focus of the 3rd garage is cast it makes sense to put it across the street and not use prime real estate on the disney springs side of the street

i'd be curious to see how they plan to handle the pedestrian flow from the 3rd garage over to springs

G00fyDad

that does seem odd, but i'd guess a 3rd garage wasn't in the original plan

or they were thinking a different location like over by the west west side for a future garage

though since the focus of the 3rd garage is cast it makes sense to put it across the street and not use prime real estate on the disney springs side of the street

i'd be curious to see how they plan to handle the pedestrian flow from the 3rd garage over to springs

Another pedestrian bridge.

mm121

Yes, another pedestrian bridge is confirmed.
i'm aware, just curious where there fitting it in at

i'd put it across the south end of the lime garage keeping pedestrian flows out of the interior of the garage
upload_2016-10-17_7-52-37.png

however people earlier said they''d connect the two garages together pedestrian wise

Last edited:

G00fyDad

i'm aware, just curious where there fitting it in at

i'd put it across the south end of the lime garage keeping pedestrian flows out of the interior of the garage
View attachment 188965
however people earlier said they''d connect the two garages together pedestrian wise

For aesthetics I would connect the two garages instead of having the bridge run across the face of the existing Lime garage blocking the view.

jt04

I remember the days when some claimed that they would never build garages in the DTD area. Fun times.

This seems like the best opportunity yet for them to provide slots for employees with electric cars to have complimentary recharge stations. If they agree to also allow their vehicles to be used for back-up power. Win-win.

mm121

I remember the days when some claimed that they would never build garages in the DTD area. Fun times.

This seems like the best opportunity yet for them to provide slots for employees with electric cars to have complimentary recharge stations. If they agree to also allow their vehicles to be used for back-up power. Win-win.
It would take an awful lot of cars to power DS, and i'd think that would be bad for the batteries.

Not sure how many disney employees or other retail employees at DS can afford electric cars on a retail salary

as someone said awhile back this garage could be an opportunity for tesla charging as the other garages have regular electric vehicle charging

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

You might see four ChargePoint operated bays like in the other garages.

jt04

It would take an awful lot of cars to power DS, and i'd think that would be bad for the batteries.

Not sure how many disney employees or other retail employees at DS can afford electric cars on a retail salary

as someone said awhile back this garage could be an opportunity for tesla charging as the other garages have regular electric vehicle charging

I was thinking more as a source for emergency lighting power while back up generators fire up. Something like that.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I've parked in both garages many times since they've opened and I've never had a problem finding a place to park. Are they anticipating a big surge in guests?

Lime has been reaching capacity.

A pedestrian overpass is in the plans. I think this garage is mainly going to be focused on CM's and well as overflow for the really busy times.

I kinda scoffed at the idea of a third garage at first, but then I went to Disney Springs last night and both garages were closed because they were full to capacity when I left around 8pm.

It's not NEEDED immediately. Remember, they went through 2 years or so where parking was an absolute crap show at DS while building the garages.

The garages don't overflow that often, the main reason for this garage is for CM parking and overflow on the busiest of days.

Just an additional data point on the need (or lack thereof) for the third garage. Tonight at 7:30 pm, lime and orange were full and the surface parking on the same side of BVD was also full. They were directing people to the surface lot across BVD where there were a few spots left. So they'll get use out of the third garage on some days.

bhg469

Was Orange really closed, though? Because there have been numerous time I've driven to DS, saw the 'closed' sign above the entry way, yet driven on in regardless and found plenty of parking. Unless there are physical blockades, I never believe take the sign at face value.
There are so many cars constantly coming and going, it is impossible for them to say it it is full. Between faulty sensors and the flow of patrons it is hard to believe.

On my last visit I had the pleasure of parking in the lot across the street, and to make things more fun, that lot was almost full.

TimeTrip

I've gone to the Orange garage a few nights when its been marked "full" and been able to get a spot on the top deck pretty easily. It might take some circling though if you go for a lower deck.

The "full" sign usage is likely certainly deter this kind of behavior though, otherwise there would be too many people trying to circle the decks.

*Q*

I've gone to the Orange garage a few nights when its been marked "full" and been able to get a spot on the top deck pretty easily. It might take some circling though if you go for a lower deck.

The "full" sign usage is likely certainly deter this kind of behavior though, otherwise there would be too many people trying to circle the decks.
I've done the same thing, I'd say they throw up the FULL sign when the garage is maybe at least 80-85% full. They'd certainly get some good mileage out of a third garage.

Figment2005

There are so many cars constantly coming and going, it is impossible for them to say it it is full. Between faulty sensors and the flow of patrons it is hard to believe.

On my last visit I had the pleasure of parking in the lot across the street, and to make things more fun, that lot was almost full.
They could also have the sign set to say full at a certain percentage to help alleviate the amount of guests just randomly driving around hoping for a spot. Parked cars are people that could be shopping or dining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom