Thinking about Moving

Chriscampbell

Original Poster
I just came back from Orlando after spending 2weeks, I come from the UK and I have been saying I want to move to Orlando, I know it's not as easy as jumping on a plane and leaving but was just wondering is it expensive to move to Orlando e.g rent prices and such. If I am going to try and move it won't be for a few years until I finish college and save but I am just interested to see if anyone could give me some information.

Thanks Chris :)

wdwjmp239

I just came back from Orlando after spending 2weeks, I come from the UK and I have been saying I want to move to Orlando, I know it's not as easy as jumping on a plane and leaving but was just wondering is it expensive to move to Orlando e.g rent prices and such. If I am going to try and move it won't be for a few years until I finish college and save but I am just interested to see if anyone could give me some information.

Thanks Chris :)

First off Chris, welcome to the boards!

I live in Southwest Florida (Fort Myers, FL) which is about 3.5 away from Orlando (2 hours if you floor it on the highway and not get pulled over). I'm not sure how the rent situation is in Orlando, but I can tell you this that the prices on the homes in my part of Florida have dropped considerably over the last five years. In 2007-2008, a 3 bedroom/2 bath home in Naples, FL (which is where I lived before moving to Fort Myers) went for about $500,000 (US Dollars). In 2009, the housing bubble finally popped and the price of homes started to fall drastically. Foreclosures were up. People were losing their homes left and right down here. At the time, I was renting a 3 bed/2 bath condo for $1350/month in Naples with my wife.

We recently purchased our home in Fort Myers for $115,000 (it's a 3/2) and our mortgage is $600/month less than what we were paying for rent. Now is a good time to buy a home and it's actually cheaper than renting!

Maybe someone who lives in Orlando can give you a firsthand view as to what the rent/owning situation is up there.

Whatever you decide to do....rent or own...Florida will be glad to have you here.

:wave:

Chriscampbell

Original Poster
First off Chris, welcome to the boards!

I live in Southwest Florida (Fort Myers, FL) which is about 3.5 away from Orlando (2 hours if you floor it on the highway and not get pulled over). I'm not sure how the rent situation is in Orlando, but I can tell you this that the prices on the homes in my part of Florida have dropped considerably over the last five years. In 2007-2008, a 3 bedroom/2 bath home in Naples, FL (which is where I lived before moving to Fort Myers) went for about $500,000 (US Dollars). In 2009, the housing bubble finally popped and the price of homes started to fall drastically. Foreclosures were up. People were losing their homes left and right down here. At the time, I was renting a 3 bed/2 bath condo for $1350/month in Naples with my wife.

We recently purchased our home in Fort Myers for $115,000 (it's a 3/2) and our mortgage is $600/month less than what we were paying for rent. Now is a good time to buy a home and it's actually cheaper than renting!

Maybe someone who lives in Orlando can give you a firsthand view as to what the rent/owning situation is up there.

Whatever you decide to do....rent or own...Florida will be glad to have you here.

:wave:

Thanks for that :) I heard about all the foreclosures back here in Scotland it seems like much the same picture. I think rent at this moment would be best due to the fact when I move I will just half finished being a student so wouldn't have as much money as I could. All going well that is if I get a visa. I guess I will have age on my side as well because I will be nearly 21. Oh well at the moment its a dream for me. As I said I just got back and already started saving lets see how good that goes first.

Thanks for the info appreciated it

Chris :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom