Thinking about honeymooning to DLP. Thoughts?

rk03221

Original Poster
My wife and I used to work at WDW and met there, we’ve already done everything there so we want something new and a Disney park for our honeymoon. We’ve also been to DL in California. Just want to hear thoughts on DLP and if it’s a good place to honeymoon. We want to save a Disney Cruise for when we have kids and Tokyo is out of our budget (unfortunately).

aquitania

If you're looking for a Disney park then DLP would certainly fit the bill, with the added bonus that you could spend some time in Paris on the same trip! The park is very beautiful, probably one of the most scenic of the castle parks making it a good atmosphere for a honeymoon destination, though you may want to lower expectations about the amount of honeymoon 'magic' you may experience. My understanding is that while DLP will certainly note your special occasion and there are 'I'm celebrating' badges you can get at City Hall, you can expect a bit less fuss being made of you, in comparison to the kind of reception you might receive at the American parks. This being said I have not honeymooned at Paris or any other of the parks so cannot say for certain!

rk03221

Original Poster
If you're looking for a Disney park then DLP would certainly fit the bill, with the added bonus that you could spend some time in Paris on the same trip! The park is very beautiful, probably one of the most scenic of the castle parks making it a good atmosphere for a honeymoon destination, though you may want to lower expectations about the amount of honeymoon 'magic' you may experience. My understanding is that while DLP will certainly note your special occasion and there are 'I'm celebrating' badges you can get at City Hall, you can expect a bit less fuss being made of you, in comparison to the kind of reception you might receive at the American parks. This being said I have not honeymooned at Paris or any other of the parks so cannot say for certain!

Thanks! We are more so looking for a new Disney adventure. Overall would you say DLP and the Studios Park they have there a good Disney experience?

LukaLand

I've spent a lot of time in both US parks and spent 4 days at DLRP last year. The park is beautiful, detailed, and perfectly Disney. Feels more like Disneyland to me than WDW. I loved it. If you truly love Disney, you will really appreciate all the details. Unlike most I didnt hate WDS but it's much more sterile.

rk03221

Original Poster
I've spent a lot of time in both US parks and spent 4 days at DLRP last year. The park is beautiful, detailed, and perfectly Disney. Feels more like Disneyland to me than WDW. I loved it. If you truly love Disney, you will really appreciate all the details. Unlike most I didnt hate WDS but it's much more sterile.

Do you know if they do the ticked Christmas or Halloween parties there like the US? We were looking at going in sept-January

cjkeating

Do you know if they do the ticked Christmas or Halloween parties there like the US? We were looking at going in sept-January

There is a ticketed Halloween event on October 31st however most seasonal entertainment is included in the ticket price. The entrainment offers slightly each year, Christmas is bigger than Halloween but both are really good.

SplashJacket

I've personally been to DLP 3 times, WDW many times, and all the others once. DLP is very expensive (on par with Orlando and sometimes even more); this is especially true considering what the resort has to offer. DLP will forever hold a special place in my heart, but if you can get a good deal on airfare for Tokyo, even if it is considerably more than DLP, you will probably end up paying the same amount. The hotels at DLP, tickets, and sit-down food are exponentially more expensive than Tokyo, despite being inferior in those aspects. I must admit, Tokyo's merchandise did stand out as expensive, but the merchandise was the most unique.
If your honeymoon is in a year’s time, Disneyland Paris should be undergoing major transformations for Olympic preparations. If your honeymoon is post-summer 2020 then you will be able to experience post-Olympics Tokyo—already the holy grail mind you—and therefore the parks and city will be more pristine than ever. The Beauty and the Beast land will also open which will have an industry-leading ride ala Shanghai's Pirates.
I understand budgets are what is preventing you from visiting Tokyo, but if there is some wiggle room, I do not believe it will be that far off from Paris. Consider the admission price being half of Paris, the food at every quick service being inexpensive, but very good quality and taste. Mind you, even higher-quality sushi than what can be found in the States will allow you to be stuffed and only set your wallets back $25 a person, or if you go to your hotel’s market $5.

Parc Disneyland Paris shines for its impeccable romanticized design and longer off-seasons crowd wise. The second park is Disney’s worst park on Earth, but if you view it as an extension of Parc Disneyland, you’ll enjoy the rides it offers.

Tokyo DisneySea is the literal embodiment of Christ for theme parks. The theme design aspect is interwoven in the fabric of the park and intertwines every land together in a way no theme park on Earth comes close to. In addition to that, the park’s theming is better than even Potter and is most in line with Galaxy’s Edge. You’ll also always have a great meal wherever you go, and you’ll not pay much at all; most cases half of Paris. Tokyo Disneyland Park is also fantastic. It’s like a mesh of the “best-of” Magic Kingdom & Disneyland Anaheim in its design, but also features unique improvements and rides like Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc. The nighttime parade is also on another level as with the Cast Members.
I say this not to scare you from Paris—it is most certainly worth a visit and is great! Yet if you have your eyes set on Tokyo, the all-in cost is very similar, and you will not regret it.
Paris I would say is a better tourist city than Tokyo, but both are great, and you can of course always venture off into the surrounding cities. I don’t know how long you will be staying or what caliber of the hotel you’ll want to stay at, but Disneyland Paris ‘requires’ 2 full days, while Tokyo will require 4; although I’d recommend 3 and 6 respectively. It balances out since you’ll probably want more time in Paris than Tokyo.
If you’re able to have flexible airfare another benefit of that is the cheaper fair usually translates to lower crowds at the parks (better experience, cheaper hotels), but consult crowd calendars for information.
The best source for the general planning of the resorts are going to be https://www.disneytouristblog.com/ and https://tdrexplorer.com/

As for DCL, I've been on multiple Disney Cruises, and have absolutely fallen in love. The experience is like no other. Disney Cruises boast flawless service and a big part of the cost difference is that you are paying upfront along with an overall well-themed ship. I’d personally say the ideal age for kids on cruises would be at least over age 6, perhaps even as old as 9; however, what makes the cruise so great is that there is always loads to do for everyone despite one’s age. Teenagers will have the most fun, but I have yet to meet someone who didn’t fall in love with cruises. A big part of Disney Cruises is the people you meet onboard no matter your age, so have an open mind when aboard and socialize a lot. If not, there’s still loads tons to do, but it’s something many first-timers overlook. I'd recommend at least 5 days for a Disney Cruise.

Also, seasonal entertainment is included at both parks, but Tokyo takes the cake in terms of its luxurious decorations.
Reply here or PM me if you’d like further information! You’ll really enjoy both Paris and Tokyo and I’m sure you won’t regret either of them!

rk03221

Original Poster
I've personally been to DLP 3 times, WDW many times, and all the others once. DLP is very expensive (on par with Orlando and sometimes even more); this is especially true considering what the resort has to offer. DLP will forever hold a special place in my heart, but if you can get a good deal on airfare for Tokyo, even if it is considerably more than DLP, you will probably end up paying the same amount. The hotels at DLP, tickets, and sit-down food are exponentially more expensive than Tokyo, despite being inferior in those aspects. I must admit, Tokyo's merchandise did stand out as expensive, but the merchandise was the most unique.
If your honeymoon is in a year’s time, Disneyland Paris should be undergoing major transformations for Olympic preparations. If your honeymoon is post-summer 2020 then you will be able to experience post-Olympics Tokyo—already the holy grail mind you—and therefore the parks and city will be more pristine than ever. The Beauty and the Beast land will also open which will have an industry-leading ride ala Shanghai's Pirates.
I understand budgets are what is preventing you from visiting Tokyo, but if there is some wiggle room, I do not believe it will be that far off from Paris. Consider the admission price being half of Paris, the food at every quick service being inexpensive, but very good quality and taste. Mind you, even higher-quality sushi than what can be found in the States will allow you to be stuffed and only set your wallets back $25 a person, or if you go to your hotel’s market $5.

Parc Disneyland Paris shines for its impeccable romanticized design and longer off-seasons crowd wise. The second park is Disney’s worst park on Earth, but if you view it as an extension of Parc Disneyland, you’ll enjoy the rides it offers.

Tokyo DisneySea is the literal embodiment of Christ for theme parks. The theme design aspect is interwoven in the fabric of the park and intertwines every land together in a way no theme park on Earth comes close to. In addition to that, the park’s theming is better than even Potter and is most in line with Galaxy’s Edge. You’ll also always have a great meal wherever you go, and you’ll not pay much at all; most cases half of Paris. Tokyo Disneyland Park is also fantastic. It’s like a mesh of the “best-of” Magic Kingdom & Disneyland Anaheim in its design, but also features unique improvements and rides like Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc. The nighttime parade is also on another level as with the Cast Members.
I say this not to scare you from Paris—it is most certainly worth a visit and is great! Yet if you have your eyes set on Tokyo, the all-in cost is very similar, and you will not regret it.
Paris I would say is a better tourist city than Tokyo, but both are great, and you can of course always venture off into the surrounding cities. I don’t know how long you will be staying or what caliber of the hotel you’ll want to stay at, but Disneyland Paris ‘requires’ 2 full days, while Tokyo will require 4; although I’d recommend 3 and 6 respectively. It balances out since you’ll probably want more time in Paris than Tokyo.
If you’re able to have flexible airfare another benefit of that is the cheaper fair usually translates to lower crowds at the parks (better experience, cheaper hotels), but consult crowd calendars for information.
The best source for the general planning of the resorts are going to be https://www.disneytouristblog.com/ and https://tdrexplorer.com/

As for DCL, I've been on multiple Disney Cruises, and have absolutely fallen in love. The experience is like no other. Disney Cruises boast flawless service and a big part of the cost difference is that you are paying upfront along with an overall well-themed ship. I’d personally say the ideal age for kids on cruises would be at least over age 6, perhaps even as old as 9; however, what makes the cruise so great is that there is always loads to do for everyone despite one’s age. Teenagers will have the most fun, but I have yet to meet someone who didn’t fall in love with cruises. A big part of Disney Cruises is the people you meet onboard no matter your age, so have an open mind when aboard and socialize a lot. If not, there’s still loads tons to do, but it’s something many first-timers overlook. I'd recommend at least 5 days for a Disney Cruise.

Also, seasonal entertainment is included at both parks, but Tokyo takes the cake in terms of its luxurious decorations.
Reply here or PM me if you’d like further information! You’ll really enjoy both Paris and Tokyo and I’m sure you won’t regret either of them!

Thank you so much for your detailed response! We looked at Airbnbs around DLP are they are extremely cheap ($45-70 a night). Unfortunately for us the plane tickets alone to Tokyo from where we are in the states run $2500-3000 round trip alone, that’s too much for us (not including hotel+ park tickets, food, etc.) Tokyo would be something in the years to come. I discussed it with my fiancée that DCL is something we’d love to do a trip with our kids in the future, so she wants to wait on that (we’d be open to it for a honeymoon though). Then there is DLP. DLP seems like a great honeymoon because we get best of both worlds, Disney and Paris so we are leaning towards that. I’m sure we wouldn’t be disappointed in DLP, a new Disney adventure is all we really want

Last edited:

aquitania

a new Disney adventure is all we really want
Then I'm sure you will be happy with Paris! As others have said, the Studios park is less impressive than the main park as it is currently embarking on a much needed long term multi-year expansion/refurbishment which means it won't be in the best condition for a couple of years yet. However, the main park is coming off the back of the 25th anniversary which saw lots of improvements and enhancements and now is a good time to visit! Plenty of Disney adventures to be had, with a European twist.

September to January will be chilly (depending on what part of the States you are from!) but queues will be lower than the summer months (though might be worth checking European school holiday dates around October). Paris has good Christmas overlays and its Halloween offer is quickly catching up with the American parks, with a few ticketed events. Christmas is particularly romantic and you could also do Christmas markets in Paris itself!

rk03221

Original Poster
I've been to DLP and loved it. That said, I would not make it my main honeymoon destination. I would make Paris the honeymoon destination and then spend 2-3 days at DLP. The City of Paris is definitely more romantic than DLP.

That would be the plan, split it up between DLP and Paris. I doesn’t look like DLP is even big. How crowded does it get even during the most crowded? Anything compared to America crowded? We were thinking of going in September-January

JillC LI

That would be the plan, split it up between DLP and Paris. I doesn’t look like DLP is even big. How crowded does it get even during the most crowded? Anything compared to America crowded? We were thinking of going in September-January
I'm not sure. We were there on July 4th which was obviously not a holiday in France but it was summertime. It was crowded but doable. We only spent one day total in both parks. We were there before rope drop, did the Studios in the morning and DLP in the afternoon. Obviously we couldn't do everything, and we didn't do any sit-down meals, but we hit everything unique to Paris. Loved the landscaping and castle in DLP. Sounds like a wonderful honeymoon!

SplashJacket

DLP is relatively dead during the winter so crowds should be nonexistent.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

Provided you are not there on a weekend and not during school holidays (mostly mid October thru the first week in November), it shouldn’t be very crowded. To give you an example of weekday versus weekend crowds: last year I was there towards the end of September during the half marathon weekend. Friday morning I was on Pirates alone in my own boat; Saturday morning I went back and it was a 45 min wait.

The thing to think about is that DLP is in a place that does have winter weather - provided you are dressed appropriately for the temperatures, standing in an outside queue is fine, but if you have to stand (or walk thru) an inside queue, you won’t appreciate the same clothes that are keeping you warm outside. So you’ll want to think of proper layering techniques. This same clothing advice would be valid for when you are visiting Paris as well.

fradz

How long in total would the stay in France be? If you would like, I can help you plan ahead and suggest you some romantic places to see and that (hopefully) your wife woud love! :)

cheezbat

I took my girlfriend out to Paris last year and proposed to her in front of Sleeping Beauty castle at Disneyland Paris. We both absolutely loved the resort...to echo many on here, WDS park is not so great, but Disneyland park is gorgeous with some fantastic rides and it’s absolutely romantic. We only planned a few days there, but ended up spending 4 days between the parks. A few of the resort hotels were really nice too. It’s a change from WDW, but it’s a good change.
Paris is a great city to honeymoon!

rk03221

Original Poster
How long in total would the stay in France be? If you would like, I can help you plan ahead and suggest you some romantic places to see and that (hopefully) your wife woud love! :)

Thank you so much I will pm you later after work!

rk03221

Original Poster
I took my girlfriend out to Paris last year and proposed to her in front of Sleeping Beauty castle at Disneyland Paris. We both absolutely loved the resort...to echo many on here, WDS park is not so great, but Disneyland park is gorgeous with some fantastic rides and it’s absolutely romantic. We only planned a few days there, but ended up spending 4 days between the parks. A few of the resort hotels were really nice too. It’s a change from WDW, but it’s a good change.
Paris is a great city to honeymoon!

Thank you and that’s awesome! We are doing an Airbnb near DLP ($45-70/ night). We may do one night in a Disney resort but they are way way too pricey imo. Would 4 days be enough? We’d do 4 days in DLP and 4 days in Paris.

cheezbat

Thank you and that’s awesome! We are doing an Airbnb near DLP ($45-70/ night). We may do one night in a Disney resort but they are way way too pricey imo. Would 4 days be enough? We’d do 4 days in DLP and 4 days in Paris.
I think 4 and 4 is perfect!

fradz

I would do 3-3 and 2 something else, but I'm not really a first timer anymore for either activity, so this could vary!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom