Think there will be a return to the 180-day window for ADR’s?

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I get why WDW switched to the 60-day window for ADR’s, what with the uncertainty of capacity limits and required spacing and all of that. But with those limitations clearly going by the wayside, does anyone feel like there will be a return to the 180-day booking window? And if so, when do you think that might happen?

BTW, the point of this thread is not to morph into an argument as to which window is better, blah blah blah. We all have our own opinions in that regard and that’s totally fine. I’m just genuinely curious as to whether there has been any rumor or speculation or indication that the 180-day window might be coming back.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight!

SteveAZee

I get why WDW switched to the 60-day window for ADR’s, what with the uncertainty of capacity limits and required spacing and all of that. But with those limitations clearly going by the wayside, does anyone feel like there will be a return to the 180-day booking window? And if so, when do you think that might happen?

BTW, the point of this thread is not to morph into an argument as to which window is better, blah blah blah. We all have our own opinions in that regard and that’s totally fine. I’m just genuinely curious as to whether there has been any rumor or speculation or indication that the 180-day window might be coming back.

It's an interesting question. I was never sure why it was 180 days in the first place, other than Disney needing to pick some arbitrary amount of lead time for ADR's.

I guess one question to ask is, what is the benefit to Disney for moving from 60 days back to 180 days?

PirateFrank

A few weeks ago, some blogger or lifestyler wrote an article (cant really remember who or when)....the article was centered around the fact that some people were experiencing a website glitch and being able to search for availability out 180 days, instead of the now 60 days. When they tried to make a reservation, though - they got an error message.

The blogger speculated that this might mark a return to 180 days. I sincerely hope this not to be the case, as I am within 180 days of my upcoming multi-family trip and any change to the reservation system will likely be a surprise - despite my now daily checking to make sure we dont get screwed out of ADRs.

I dont know why they originally increased the time frame from 60 to 180 days....but I can say, it was one of my largest sources of planning frustration, because it required me to carve into stone when and we're we'll be 6 months out from a trip....and when those plans changed (especially as a result of fastpass selections made/lost at the 60 day mark), you were inevitably faced with the scenario that you had to drop an ADR and hunt for an undesirable alternative.

JIMINYCR

We did the 60 days on our last trip which worked fine but I wonder if when theres a time when it gets back to more capacity about the competition for those tables, especially for the more popular restaurants. I think Disney would return to 180 days for their planning and staffing for reliability. Theres enough people who book trips far enough in advance that the 180 days works to reserve dining that far ahead. Ive always thought it might give me an advantage to get in before others who delay making the decision to book trips. Weve dined at so many WDW spots that we pretty much know where we wish to dine on a trip, so its not hard for us to plan ahead. Or why 60 and not open it up to 90 days or 120 days.... Disney decisions have not always been consistent or sensible.

bee

The blogger speculated that this might mark a return to 180 days. I sincerely hope this not to be the case, as I am within 180 days of my upcoming multi-family trip and any change to the reservation system will likely be a surprise - despite my now daily checking to make sure we dont get screwed out of ADRs.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm guessing Disney will announce at least a few days to a couple weeks in advance of the effective date, IF they change back to 180.

SteveAZee

We did the 60 days on our last trip which worked fine but I wonder if when theres a time when it gets back to more capacity about the competition for those tables, especially for the more popular restaurants. I think Disney would return to 180 days for their planning and staffing for reliability. Theres enough people who book trips far enough in advance that the 180 days works to reserve dining that far ahead. Ive always thought it might give me an advantage to get in before others who delay making the decision to book trips. Weve dined at so many WDW spots that we pretty much know where we wish to dine on a trip, so its not hard for us to plan ahead. Or why 60 and not open it up to 90 days or 120 days.... Disney decisions have not always been consistent or sensible.
I don't know much about running restaurants in a huge place like Disney, but it seems like staffing and food orders aren't going to be done in any useful way at 180 days... so much can and does change. That's what was odd for me. Perhaps it's just for those who really like to plan ahead to feel like they've got an advantage, which is fine by me since I'm one of those people. Still, making a reservation then having to plan everything else around that seems backwards.

JIMINYCR

I don't know much about running restaurants in a huge place like Disney, but it seems like staffing and food orders aren't going to be done in any useful way at 180 days... so much can and does change. That's what was odd for me. Perhaps it's just for those who really like to plan ahead to feel like they've got an advantage, which is fine by me since I'm one of those people. Still, making a reservation then having to plan everything else around that seems backwards.
Prior to the covid restrictions we never had a problem planning a morning in one park and a dinner in another later that evening. Changing park plans on the spur of a moment could be possible. We could hop over earlier or later, at our choosing, to make it for our dining reservation time. So there was no issue about planning other things that would make any inconvenience. And there are many spots that if you dont arrange for dining far enough in advance you get locked out. Just read the posts of frustrated, disappointed people trying to get ADR's who are trying daily but with no luck. Yes there is some advantage of booking further in advance for some spots, and depending on the time of year your trip is booked.

SteveAZee

Prior to the covid restrictions we never had a problem planning a morning in one park and a dinner in another later that evening. Changing park plans on the spur of a moment could be possible. We could hop over earlier or later, at our choosing, to make it for our dining reservation time. So there was no issue about planning other things that would make any inconvenience. And there are many spots that if you dont arrange for dining far enough in advance you get locked out. Just read the posts of frustrated, disappointed people trying to get ADR's who are trying daily but with no luck. Yes there is some advantage of booking further in advance for some spots, and depending on the time of year your trip is booked.
Yeah, it was strange for me in 2019 planning all the restaurants 180 days in advance, then occasionally wanting to move or switch things... sometimes successfully, sometimes not... waiting for someone else who also planned 180 days out to cancel (thanks MouseDining).. then also canceling plans the night before due to dining fatigue... it just seemed overwrought but also necessary because of the need to plan so far in advance. I'm not sure 60 days vs 180 is any better or worse. Then there was juggling FP+ ressies around the dining reservations. :rolleyes:

JIMINYCR

Yeah, it was strange for me in 2019 planning all the restaurants 180 days in advance, then occasionally wanting to move or switch things... sometimes successfully, sometimes not... waiting for someone else who also planned 180 days out to cancel (thanks MouseDining).. then also canceling plans the night before due to dining fatigue... it just seemed overwrought but also necessary because of the need to plan so far in advance. I'm not sure 60 days vs 180 is any better or worse. Then there was juggling FP+ ressies around the dining reservations. :rolleyes:
The other issue that had been so frustrating was when people would be allowed to book many ADR's in advance for the same day, or get another person in their party to book several ADR's as well, just to get them booked and then deciding which to cancel just prior to their trip.

G00fyDad

The other issue that had been so frustrating was when people would be allowed to book many ADR's in advance for the same day, or get another person in their party to book several ADR's as well, just to get them booked and then deciding which to cancel just prior to their trip.

Exactly. You'd think that Disney could curb that sort of thing. Maybe add the need for a credit card to all TS locations with a cancellation fee within the last 7-14 days before the ADR? Or maybe just monitor the ADR's people are booking and block them from booking more than "X" amount per day?

SteveAZee

Exactly. You'd think that Disney could curb that sort of thing. Maybe add the need for a credit card to all TS locations with a cancellation fee within the last 7-14 days before the ADR? Or maybe just monitor the ADR's people are booking and block them from booking more than "X" amount per day?
It sure seems like Disney has a habit of putting systems into place without someone looking at it and saying "that looks good... let me see all different ways I can break it or exploit it".

Editor516

I’ve always benefitted from the 180-day window, but I enjoy planning. I know, I’m weird that way.

I have a trip booked for December and it’s weird to be within the 180-day window and have no dining reservations yet. I hope Disney brings it back soon - but smartly, as I think throwing it open all at once will lead to a Disney computer system crash.

In the meantime, like an earlier poster said, I check for availability daily to make sure I don’t miss out on what I want.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member

When I called WDW travel 2 days ago to change resort hotels, at the end of our call the person did the usual reminder of things WDW wants you to know...

When they got to dining, the person said to me that current dining reservation window were at 60 days out and if and when they change we would be notified by email 24 hours before we would be able to book our dining reservations for our next stay in November. The person then checked that my email was correct.

correcaminos

Ugh I hope not. I loathe planning months in advance. These cancelations give people like me a chance at dining the day of or the night before.

Surprised people really want to continue 180 days or even make it so we all have to uber plan vacations. Not a fan.

G00fyDad

Ugh I hope not. I loathe planning months in advance. These cancelations give people like me a chance at dining the day of or the night before.

Surprised people really want to continue 180 days or even make it so we all have to uber plan vacations. Not a fan.

But if they require a credit card and a charge for canceling ADR within 7 to 14 days then that would make sure that there were more options available for you on your "day of". It would prevent people from hoarding ADR's and effectively shutting everybody out. There would be a bunch of ADR's opening up at about 15 days or more before the date you need.

I personally know somebody who used to do that and they thought it was hysterical. They would grab as many ADR's as they possibly could and then they would decide last minute where they actually wanted to eat. Most of their ADR's they didn't even bother to cancel. They just let it expire. Some places require a credit card so they would absolutely cancel those but they still waited till last minute.

correcaminos

But if they require a credit card and a charge for canceling ADR within 7 to 14 days then that would make sure that there were more options available for you on your "day of". It would prevent people from hoarding ADR's and effectively shutting everybody out. There would be a bunch of ADR's opening up at about 15 days or more before the date you need.

I personally know somebody who used to do that and they thought it was hysterical. They would grab as many ADR's as they possibly could and then they would decide last minute where they actually wanted to eat. Most of their ADR's they didn't even bother to cancel. They just let it expire. Some places require a credit card so they would absolutely cancel those but they still waited till last minute.
First of all every single sit down I went to last month required a credit card deposit. What you are describing would require cancelation and multiple MDE accounts. They fixed that type of booking hoarding years ago.

If you require cancelation a week in advance that means I still have to look more than a day or two out. Not my thing really.

If they go back to 180 days and make it harder to cancel Disney will lose more of my money. None of the food is worth that much stress.

G00fyDad

If they go back to 180 days and make it harder to cancel Disney will lose more of my money. None of the food is worth that much stress.

Fair enough. I understand why it is a bother to a lot of people to book really far out. It is just the selfish side of my I suppose but I hope they bring it back. I am not heading down there until November 2022 and we already know where we want to eat.

correcaminos

Fair enough. I understand why it is a bother to a lot of people to book really far out. It is just the selfish side of my I suppose but I hope they bring it back. I am not heading down there until November 2022 and we already know where we want to eat.
I'm heading back in November of 2021 and have no clue, though just me. Very little idea for next years trips too, but menus have changed so much that I won't bother to look for a while.

If you do like planning in advance then trip 30, 60, 90 or 180 days should not matter much. I'm still missing the screens from Epcot where you booked your meals, so I'm old school lol

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
First of all every single sit down I went to last month required a credit card deposit. What you are describing would require cancelation and multiple MDE accounts. They fixed that type of booking hoarding years ago.

If you require cancelation a week in advance that means I still have to look more than a day or two out. Not my thing really.

They definitely did not fix that “hoarding” years ago. On our trip just last month, we used 3 different accounts that members of our party had and grabbed as many ADR’s as we could at the 60-day mark. However, we then got together within a day or 2 of making the ADR’s and promptly cancelled all the ones we knew we weren’t going to use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom