they're cutting all the other perks so will they do this?

wendysue

They're not worried, for about 50 years now the Disney Corp. has been slowly brainwashing everybody with the idea that "if you don't submerse in 24/7 Disney Pixie Dust you will have completely missed out on the magic". They know that even if they replaced resort toilet paper with sandpaper, people will just blindly spend every cent they have, and then some, to submerge. I feel lucky that my early experiences were dictated by limited income and a crazy thing happened, I have been going steadily for 38 years and after a number of years I tried onsite and hated it. Not only did I spend more money than I wanted but, and this is going to seem strange, but very little magic happened while my eyes were closed and I was asleep. Plus I didn't get to drive under the WDW welcome arches at the entrance everyday. I also got to experience the real Magic of riding the ferry from TTC across the lagoon and watch with anticipation the Castle getting closer and closer. I don't feel like a missed a moment of "the magic" and when my vacation was done, I still had money left. Imagine that!
Ummmm...they replaced the toilet paper with sandpaper this year. :(

wendysue

Just returned home from WDW. Epcot and HS were the best parks for us as far as people following the social distancing and masks. MK was another story and we didn't stay long. The mask was a bit daunting for me, but made it through. I know there is not a lot they can do about the virus situation, but we won't return until things (hopefully) get somewhat back to normal. Too many things have been cut to make the cost worthwhile.

UNCgolf

If you're there in time to take advantage of it, Early Theme Park Entry is going to be a huge advantage for on-site guests. Even at today's reduced crowd levels, it's anywhere from 1 to 2+ hours less in line than off-site guests who arrive at official park opening.

And that's with an optimized touring plan.

The biggest issue with it is that it's only a benefit to a certain subset of resort guests. Of course, that actually makes it an even bigger benefit for that subset because not every resort guest will use it, but it's not a perk at all for a not insignificant number of guests.

nickys

Premium Member
The biggest issue with it is that it's only a benefit to a certain subset of resort guests. Of course, that actually makes it an even bigger benefit for that subset because not every resort guest will use it, but it's not a perk at all for a not insignificant number of guests.
As I said we have never used rope drop. But the perk is available to all resort guests.

JoeCamel

It makes me think FP+ has to come back, because lots of people are not going to consider it a "perk" to get up in time to be at Animal Kingdom at 7 a.m. on vacation.
Combination of EM1/2H plus reserved ride times just might be enough to sway people to stay onsite. I think they are looking for a way to fill rooms, even with vaccines it may be a year until international leisure travel can resume so this may pull domestic to the values replacing the tour groups for the time being. GP FP+? I don't think you will see it anytime soon if it ever comes back.

graphite1326

I wouldn't single the CM's out, nothing at all has been magical over the last year and the financial hardships that the CM's have probably had to take on the chin, would make anyone surly, especially with the attitude that has come out regarding masks and protecting others. There is usually a reason for any surliness and if it wasn't ourselves it was probably the person they had to deal with seconds ago. Let's all try a little understanding and realization that the CM's are human beings with no power over policy.
Speaking of masks and surliness; a friend of mine just got back from a family trip to the world. One incident was that they got on a boat (he didn't say which one). His father, who is older, was having trouble catching his breath with the mask on and let it slip down where is nose wasn't covered. The captain came over and said he needed to cover it up or get off the boat. He complied. The captain then said that the boat was done for the day and they had to get off. They complied. They left but was still standing where they could see the boat. The Captain then loaded passengers and proceeded to their destination. Have a magical day.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I switched My June trip from a costly lion king suite to a 4 bedroom 3 bath Airbnb that includes a private pool, jacuzzi, pool table, game/arcade room, giant kitchen, and personal movie theatre for $1,500.

There’s absolutely nobody on these forums that can convince me that staying on-site is better than that.

Goofyernmost

I switched My June trip from a costly lion king suite to a 4 bedroom 3 bath Airbnb that includes a private pool, jacuzzi, pool table, game/arcade room, giant kitchen, and personal movie theatre for $1,500.

There’s absolutely nobody on these forums that can convince me that staying on-site is better than that.
You won't get an argument from me. I can never enjoy myself when someone or something is picking my pocket clean of my hard earned money. Takes all the magic away for me. If I want to pay twice the value for a meal at a location onsite, I will do so. When I don't have a choice it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. So to speak! What is charged for a place to sleep is almost criminal to me. You don't even get a full range of TV choices onsite! I still love the parks and some of the other "extras" at WDW, but I have gotten nothing out of staying onsite except anger.

JIMINYCR

I wouldnt think it fair to withold FP+ from non staying guests. But Disney could easily make it a perk to resort guests by giving one to be prebooked for each day of stay. That at least would show some appreciation for the loyalty. Booked guests then would have a slight advantage when paying to stay and not slight non staying guests that badly.

Skibum1970

There seems to be a lot of threads trying to 'forecast" what Disney is going to do along with railing against the price of staying on site.
So I'll give my standard answer.

People who stay on site are NOT stupid, brainwashed, sheep or any of the other adjectives folks here like to assign to them. They are different and choose to spend their money the way they see fit. That's the great thing about earning it, you get to spend it on twindley winks if you so choose.

Who knows if the mouse is going to bring any thing back. who knows what anything is going to be like post pandemic. I'd settle for not having to wear a mask.

whether or not something is "worth" doing is purely personal, I thought paying 500 bucks for a theater ticket was crazy until Hamilton came along. If you don't think it's worth staying on site simply don't do it. Disney has absolutely no obligation to make the vacation affordable for everyone.

Thank you for a well presented answer. It really comes down to how people want to spend their money and time on vacation.

I would love for FP+ to never rear its ugly head again but that is also a preference.

Goofyernmost

There seems to be a lot of threads trying to 'forecast" what Disney is going to do along with railing against the price of staying on site.
So I'll give my standard answer.

People who stay on site are NOT stupid, brainwashed, sheep or any of the other adjectives folks here like to assign to them. They are different and choose to spend their money the way they see fit. That's the great thing about earning it, you get to spend it on twindley winks if you so choose.

Who knows if the mouse is going to bring any thing back. who knows what anything is going to be like post pandemic. I'd settle for not having to wear a mask.

whether or not something is "worth" doing is purely personal, I thought paying 500 bucks for a theater ticket was crazy until Hamilton came along. If you don't think it's worth staying on site simply don't do it. Disney has absolutely no obligation to make the vacation affordable for everyone.
You are but one individual in a large cross section of people. You may be able to afford to pay that elevated prices without making shambles out of your financial status. There are many that really cannot afford it and are spending money they haven't earned yet and are swimming in debt that they may never get out of.

Yes, it is a good experience and, like yourself, I'm sure there must be some solid reason why people are willing to pay the looonnngg price for what they offer. If it can be done and nothing else goes unpaid or shortchanged then more power to them. In my comments on it, I have been using my personal outlook on what is worth what. Of course, you are allowed to spend your money whatever way you want to spend it. But, excuse the rest of us if we question exactly what makes it worth that much more then surrounding options. If it's the ease of touring, no other independent transportation needed, earlier ability to line up Fastpasses or ADR's. OK, but there is nothing offered there that to me is worth anywhere near the cost. It is indeed a personal thing.

So when referring to brainwashed, I can think of no reason why that isn't valid. What have you determined has made it worthwhile. Disney has been flouting the concept of total immersion since the beginning of Disney itself. They obviously have convinced thousands of people that there is a value in what they charge. Fine... but understand that it is very difficult to see why when one sees the benefit of not spending more than what something is worth to people like me. I am a person that has enjoyed WDW enormously for 38 years with only one trip that included onsite. I apparently did not see the value even after experiencing it and even later years when I could have afforded to if I wanted. I could find no value in being basically an inmate (at least that is what it felt like to me). The bottom line is everything has a reason. People that will spend that much, I don't believe enjoy their experience one iota more then I enjoy mine.

eliza61nyc

You are but one individual in a large cross section of people. You may be able to afford to pay that elevated prices without making shambles out of your financial status. There are many that really cannot afford it and are spending money they haven't earned yet and are swimming in debt that they may never get out of.

Yes, it is a good experience and, like yourself, I'm sure there must be some solid reason why people are willing to pay the looonnngg price for what they offer. If it can be done and nothing else goes unpaid or shortchanged then more power to them. In my comments on it, I have been using my personal outlook on what is worth what. Of course, you are allowed to spend your money whatever way you want to spend it. But, excuse the rest of us if we question exactly what makes it worth that much more then surrounding options. If it's the ease of touring, no other independent transportation needed, earlier ability to line up Fastpasses or ADR's. OK, but there is nothing offered there that to me is worth anywhere near the cost. It is indeed a personal thing.

So when referring to brainwashed, I can think of no reason why that isn't valid. What have you determined has made it worthwhile. Disney has been flouting the concept of total immersion since the beginning of Disney itself. They obviously have convinced thousands of people that there is a value in what they charge. Fine... but understand that it is very difficult to see why when one sees the benefit of not spending more than what something is worth to people like me. I am a person that has enjoyed WDW enormously for 38 years with only one trip that included onsite. I apparently did not see the value even after experiencing it and even later years when I could have afforded to if I wanted. I could find no value in being basically an inmate (at least that is what it felt like to me). The bottom line is everything has a reason. People that will spend that much, I don't believe enjoy their experience one iota more then I enjoy mine.

Yes and there are many that can afford to stay onsite without making a "shambles' as you phrase it of their financial life. there are many families who sit down and make a budget and save for what they want. Sorry I reject this assumption that the only people who are staying onsite are drowning in debt or don't know how to simply budget or stupid

The reason why brain wash is not a valid description is that you are making the inference that we are not putting in conscious thought and analysis with our decision. as if some how after watching a Disney commercial people are suddenly comatose and incapable of adding and subtracting it out of a budget. how insulting and condescending

Enjoying the experience more than you IS NOT THE GOAL. that's where you lofty analysis is wrong. I'm not concerned with what you enjoy. My concern is what my family enjoys. simple things like the ability to walk home from epcot on a hot sunny summer night has value for my family. never do I plan a vacation and worry about what other people enjoy. We plan a vacation on what we enjoy and if things like waking up and be able to look at animals off my balcony is what brings us joy and value then we sit down and do the math.
Yes the ability to listen to the boats going back and forth from HS to Epcot in the morning means something to us.

my point is that what you feel like as a jail (inmate) is freedom for my family My objection is your assumption that because I see it as freedom, I am some how incapable of making a sound decision, ohh I must be under some kind of "influence".

Last edited:

plawren2

If you're there in time to take advantage of it, Early Theme Park Entry is going to be a huge advantage for on-site guests. Even at today's reduced crowd levels, it's anywhere from 1 to 2+ hours less in line than off-site guests who arrive at official park opening.

And that's with an optimized touring plan.
1/2 hr of early entry is not that much of an advantage, perhaps 2 rides once you take into account walking into park and between attractions, plus if that comes with reduced total hours (and no Fast Pass+) its even less of a benefit

nickys

Premium Member
1/2 hr of early entry is not that much of an advantage, perhaps 2 rides once you take into account walking into park and between attractions, plus if that comes with reduced total hours (and no Fast Pass+) its even less of a benefit
The point is that by the time the offsite guest arrives, the lines for the headliners will instantly be over 30 minutes and some will be an hour. At every park, every day. It’s a perk by hitting those who can’t take advantage of it.

aliceismad

Being a 38 year veteran of WDW attendance, I can with no doubts say that Rope drop is the most overrated event at Disney. I have been to all parks at Rope drop including MK's which is by far the most extravagant of any of the parks and even that is a do once and done. Believe me there is nothing about Rope drop that would get me to spend anywhere from $100. to $500. per night extra. The only thing they could offer me that might get me to stay onsite would be unlimited, every attraction Fastpass on my schedule not theirs. I don't think that will be coming soon.
I hate coming to the East Coast and having to wake up even earlier than I normally do while on the vacation. But for me and my family, rope drop is absolutely worth it. You can accomplish a lot in that first hour or two if you make a plan and know where to go.

Different people have different touring styles and different preferences. None is wrong. What works for you might be an absolutely horrible experience for me, and vice versa.

Lilofan

Fast pass at Universal Orlando is an additional price on top of the UO park ticket. It may be sooner than later WDW follows suit.

Goofyernmost

Yes and there are many that can afford to stay onsite without making a "shambles' as you phrase it of their financial life. there are many families who sit down and make a budget and save for what they want. Sorry I reject this assumption that the only people who are staying onsite are drowning in debt or don't know how to simply budget or stupid

The reason why brain wash is not a valid description is that you are making the inference that we are not putting in conscious thought and analysis with our decision. as if some how after watching a Disney commercial people are suddenly comatose and incapable of adding and subtracting it out of a budget. how insulting and condescending

Enjoying the experience more than you IS NOT THE GOAL. that's where you lofty analysis is wrong. I'm not concerned with what you enjoy. My concern is what my family enjoys. simple things like the ability to walk home from epcot on a hot sunny summer night has value for my family. never do I plan a vacation and worry about what other people enjoy. We plan a vacation on what we enjoy and if things like waking up and be able to look at animals off my balcony is what brings us joy and value then we sit down and do the math.
Yes the ability to listen to the boats going back and forth from HS to Epcot in the morning means something to us.

my point is that what you feel like as a jail (inmate) is freedom for my family My objection is your assumption that because I see it as freedom, I am some how incapable of making a sound decision, ohh I must be under some kind of "influence".
Read it again, that is not at all what I said. Actually I said the same thing you just did. Except that even though I can now afford it I find no value in it. You obviously do. And that is fine, but it is a personal decision because it is hard to detail what the attraction is to spend that much for basically the same experience that others are able to experience without paying that much. You are apparently very sensitive to the topic, so perhaps it is better that we just drop it. I have made clear my reasons why I don't find it worth the money. I have not yet been told a reason that might make me change my mind. However, if that is what you want to do, that is your right, I just don't understand it because we all see life through different lenses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom