they're cutting all the other perks so will they do this?

Peter Venkman

Original Poster
so we know there's no more extra magic hours, Fastpass or free magic bands and that Magical Express is on its way out too. so what does Disney do to make paying all that money to stay on WDW property worth it?

will they drop the hammer and bring Fastpass back and only make it available to those staying on-site?

I have to admit thats a hell of a perk and that alone would probably make me and many other people decide to stay in the bubble.

you have to assume they are at least discussing it as a possibility and weighing Maxpass available to everyone (on and off-site) who wants to pay as an alternative revenue idea. I actually think if they go with Maxpass they will eliminate regular Fastpass and it would be a pay only option since it would make things simpler for everyone.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
so we know there's no more extra magic hours, Fastpass or free magic bands and that Magical Express is on its way out too. so what does Disney do to make paying all that money to stay on WDW property worth it?

will they drop the hammer and bring Fastpass back and only make it available to those staying on-site?

I have to admit thats a hell of a perk and that alone would probably make me and many other people decide to stay in the bubble.

you have to assume they are at least discussing it as a possibility and weighing Maxpass available to everyone (on and off-site) who wants to pay as an alternative revenue idea. I actually think if they go with Maxpass they will eliminate regular Fastpass and it would be a pay only option since it would make things simpler for everyone.
The Extra Magic Hours program was not eliminated, it was modified and renamed. FastPass has been suspended due to COVID and we have no idea whether it will be back or not.

StarshipDisney

I concur. They must do something to lure me back or else I will be staying off site in September. I love the Contemporary Resort but I am absolutely not paying that kind of money for what they offer right now (which is nothing).

nickys

Premium Member
I think EMH will be back when the College Program is back because most of the cast working EMH were CPs. Disney probably doesnt have the staffing for it
EMH as such isn’t returning. Parks are opening earlier than official opening already, so changing the procedure and having it only for resort guests shouldn’t take much more staff.

I doubt the College Programme will start again until 2022. They still have CMs furloughed and laid off, many of who have recall rights. No way they can bring in CPs before recalling those first.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It’s possible. A lot of new builds going up. JW over in Bonnet Creek. More Hilton properties going up on Western Way. A ton of new builds on Palm Pkwy just north of Lake Road. All within a 10 minute drive or an affordable ride share cost.

Disney will do something. Will it be FP for those on property? Or preference with ADRs or priority with the park res system (assuming it sticks around for a while)?

They’ll do something. What that something is - too early to tell.

Goofyernmost

They're not worried, for about 50 years now the Disney Corp. has been slowly brainwashing everybody with the idea that "if you don't submerse in 24/7 Disney Pixie Dust you will have completely missed out on the magic". They know that even if they replaced resort toilet paper with sandpaper, people will just blindly spend every cent they have, and then some, to submerge. I feel lucky that my early experiences were dictated by limited income and a crazy thing happened, I have been going steadily for 38 years and after a number of years I tried onsite and hated it. Not only did I spend more money than I wanted but, and this is going to seem strange, but very little magic happened while my eyes were closed and I was asleep. Plus I didn't get to drive under the WDW welcome arches at the entrance everyday. I also got to experience the real Magic of riding the ferry from TTC across the lagoon and watch with anticipation the Castle getting closer and closer. I don't feel like a missed a moment of "the magic" and when my vacation was done, I still had money left. Imagine that!

Goofyernmost

I have to agree with everything you said, but no they will not drop any hammer until it really shows up on the bottom line. Right now, it makes no sense to even speculate. The pandemic has changed the entire process of looking at what is influencing guest numbers. It wouldn't surprise me if they attempt, when this madness is done, to try and keep away many of the "free" perks that were the hallmark of Disney in the past. But, it is going to be a bit if time before the economy returns to pre-pandemic levels. So what stays and what doesn't is going to be, in my mind, at least a five year process before all economical segments will feel comfortable with spending big bucks on luxury vacations. At least the same amount of time that it took 9/11 to recover. So far we have had, based on lives lost, a 9/11 every single day for the last year, it's just that we don't get to witness the deaths directly and no buildings have fallen down.

I have gone on record a number of times with my distain for Fast Pass. I have always been an advocate of the sale of Fastpasses instead of the first come, first served method which was true with every incarnation of FP. I think the idea that the pay extra method makes for an advantage for the wealthy. However, having seen how Universal handles theirs, what it boils down to is if you can afford to spend that much money on a vacation, then what they charge for the pass is not even a concern. It becomes a situation of individuals deciding for themselves if it is worth the minor extra cost. Personally, it would bother me far less to have to wait in line a little longer because of pass holders if I knew, which I did at Uni, that they paid extra for that and I could have as well. I just decided not too.

crawale

There seems to be no advantage at all to staying on property. There is no extra advanced dining times which was a biggie for us. 30 minutes extra admission time is nothing compared to all the checks you have to go through and actually get to a place in the parks where the rides are. Since COVID the staff seem to have become a lot more surly - don't really blame them - but certainly no longer 'magical'.

Goofyernmost

There seems to be no advantage at all to staying on property. There is no extra advanced dining times which was a biggie for us. 30 minutes extra admission time is nothing compared to all the checks you have to go through and actually get to a place in the parks where the rides are. Since COVID the staff seem to have become a lot more surly - don't really blame them - but certainly no longer 'magical'.
I wouldn't single the CM's out, nothing at all has been magical over the last year and the financial hardships that the CM's have probably had to take on the chin, would make anyone surly, especially with the attitude that has come out regarding masks and protecting others. There is usually a reason for any surliness and if it wasn't ourselves it was probably the person they had to deal with seconds ago. Let's all try a little understanding and realization that the CM's are human beings with no power over policy.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
To add. There's nothing that stops anyone from enjoying a lot of the amenities you would enjoy if you'd stayed on property. You can still stay off property for $125-$150 a night and score an ADR at Kona. Eat at the Poly, grab a drink, watch the water parade, watch the fireworks, walk along the path to the GF. Enjoy an afternoon or an evening - and ride share it back in 15 minutes to your hotel. Only thing you really can't (not supposed) do is the pool.

Personally, my trips are a mix. I'll stay on property and off. But I'll spend plenty of time at the resorts regardless where it is I put my head down every night. If a Disney moderate/deluxe is at a fair rate I try for on-property. But If I'm looking at $350/night for POFQ vs $149 for a Hilton, Homewood, or Marriott it's going to be the $200 savings per night that sways the decision. Especially while Disney offers very little incentive to persuade me to spend the extra money.

IMHO where Disney is really dropping the ball is with those that had an unwavering loyalty to the brand. Many are no longer "as loyal" and I think in the years to come Disney will really start feeling that impact. The "bubble" has been burst for some, is in the process of being burst for others, and non-existent for yet others. But that being said, you'll still have those that believe in the bubble. There'll just be less of them.

nickys

Premium Member
Onsite didn’t get advanced dining booking. You still get length of stay up to 10 days.

And the 30 minutes early entry will presumably be done as EMH was once it’s introduced. Modelling by @lentesta and his Touring Plans team have suggested it will make a significant difference for onsite guests. It it means any offsite guests cannot benefit from rope drop at any park. I think it will be a bigger advantage for onsite guests who can be at the parks in time than most people expect.

lentesta

Premium Member
Onsite didn’t get advanced dining booking. You still get length of stay up to 10 days.

And the 30 minutes early entry will presumably be done as EMH was once it’s introduced. Modelling by @lentesta and his Touring Plans team have suggested it will make a significant difference for onsite guests. It it means any offsite guests cannot benefit from rope drop at any park. I think it will be a bigger advantage for onsite guests who can be at the parks in time than most people expect.

If you're there in time to take advantage of it, Early Theme Park Entry is going to be a huge advantage for on-site guests. Even at today's reduced crowd levels, it's anywhere from 1 to 2+ hours less in line than off-site guests who arrive at official park opening.

And that's with an optimized touring plan.

eliza61nyc

There seems to be a lot of threads trying to 'forecast" what Disney is going to do along with railing against the price of staying on site.
So I'll give my standard answer.

People who stay on site are NOT stupid, brainwashed, sheep or any of the other adjectives folks here like to assign to them. They are different and choose to spend their money the way they see fit. That's the great thing about earning it, you get to spend it on twindley winks if you so choose.

Who knows if the mouse is going to bring any thing back. who knows what anything is going to be like post pandemic. I'd settle for not having to wear a mask.

whether or not something is "worth" doing is purely personal, I thought paying 500 bucks for a theater ticket was crazy until Hamilton came along. If you don't think it's worth staying on site simply don't do it. Disney has absolutely no obligation to make the vacation affordable for everyone.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Being a 38 year veteran of WDW attendance, I can with no doubts say that Rope drop is the most overrated event at Disney. I have been to all parks at Rope drop including MK's which is by far the most extravagant of any of the parks and even that is a do once and done. Believe me there is nothing about Rope drop that would get me to spend anywhere from $100. to $500. per night extra. The only thing they could offer me that might get me to stay onsite would be unlimited, every attraction Fastpass on my schedule not theirs. I don't think that will be coming soon.

nickys

Premium Member
Being a 38 year veteran of WDW attendance, I can with no doubts say that Rope drop is the most overrated event at Disney. I have been to all parks at Rope drop including MK's which is by far the most extravagant of any of the parks and even that is a do once and done. Believe me there is nothing about Rope drop that would get me to spend anywhere from $100. to $500. per night extra. The only thing they could offer me that might get me to stay onsite would be unlimited, every attraction Fastpass on my schedule not theirs. I don't think that will be coming soon.
I haven’t done rope drop either, not my idea of a vacation. But it’s the equivalent of 3-4 FPs if you’re at the front of the line to enter. A lot of people use it to very good effect, leaving more time to do the rest of the park. Or of course, to ride the things they couldn’t get an FP for.

StarshipDisney

There seems to be no advantage at all to staying on property. There is no extra advanced dining times which was a biggie for us. 30 minutes extra admission time is nothing compared to all the checks you have to go through and actually get to a place in the parks where the rides are.

Concur. I guess our next trip we will stay at the Embassy Suites and save $5,000 over staying at the Contemporary Resort. That is $5,000 that Disney will not get so congrats to them on the business plan.

No, just being on property...to me...is not worth $5,000. I absolutely loved FastPass and hope they bring it back...even if I have to pay for it. But if I don't need to stay on property to buy it, then again I'll save the big bucks and stay at a deluxe off property accommodation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom