They want to drive SW out of business

jensenrick

Original Poster
AJWs continue to harass SeaWorld and anyone who goes to SeaWorld and dares to say they had a good time.

Isn't it enough that they are stopping the breeding programs, and soon there will no longer be orcas at SeaW, or commerson's dolphins at Aquatica? But oh well, as long as the slackativists are happy- except they are NOT happy.

On instagram, I am following an adorable British couple who were visiting Orlando and it's all compliments and smiles until they hit SeaWorld and then the whiners start in-
"Aww, you guys, I never thought you would support unethical organizations and horrific treatment of these brilliant sentient creatures"
"eee, sea world is bad"
"you are supporting abuse"
"Guys!!! No!!! #emptythetanks #seaworldsucks #dontbuyaticket #weremakingprogress #endcaptivity"

I noticed that the Hashtag Warriors who stated #endcaptivity have weimaraners, but that's different (unless you ask PETA.)

I am quite sure, now that the slacktavists have had their success (although it's not enough until they have driven SeaWorld out of business) that they have their campaigns against other zoos and animal habitats. I guess it will just take another docu-drama to start on the next one.

And no, don't doubt that driving SeaWorld out of business is the final goal. Otherwise, why continue to harass people about buying tickets, when they have already stopped the breeding program?

matt78

Meanwhile, I'm actually contributing more to wildlife rescue programs and conservation funds by buying a ticket and spending money in the park while they sit behind their computers and do nothing.

I really am starting to think that these people have no idea about all the good SeaWorld does. If these people actually did a little research they would know that putting SeaWorld out of business will cause a lot more harm to wildlife than good. Either these people are stupid or they care more about their agenda than the animals they want to protect.

nerdboyrockstar

I really am starting to think that these people have no idea about all the good SeaWorld does. If these people actually did a little research they would know that putting SeaWorld out of business will cause a lot more harm to wildlife than good. Either these people are stupid or they care more about their agenda than the animals they want to protect.

That is exactly right.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Its not like SW has a rescue program, Which you can now visit at SW Orlando. I really enjoy SW, its a beautiful park.
If you haven't noticed, they are bringing in new rides, while the shows go quietly unchanged (Besides the Sea lion show which was last year). They know what they need to do to bring the people in. They are slowly changing their look.

Tom Morrow

This really is frustrating. It will never end because of lazy hashtag activism and the fact that its always "cool" to hate a corporation.

That said, SeaWorld/Busch doesn't do itself any favors with its Six Flags level of service. Actually, some Six Flags parks are better, service-wise. If they want to stay in the game then one thing they need to do is match Disney and Universal on ensuring a quality experience throughout for people who do visit.

Crazydisneyfanluke

This really is frustrating. It will never end because of lazy hashtag activism and the fact that its always "cool" to hate a corporation.

That said, SeaWorld/Busch doesn't do itself any favors with its Six Flags level of service. Actually, some Six Flags parks are better, service-wise. If they want to stay in the game then one thing they need to do is match Disney and Universal on ensuring a quality experience throughout for people who do visit.
I have had never had a problem with SW with service.

Tom Morrow

I have had never had a problem with SW with service.
Ehh. Things like requiring a bag check but also charging for lockers to check your bag, waiting 5 minutes for the ride operators to dispatch a single train, employees looking unapproachable and acting unprofessional... it adds up and gives the impression that they don't care if you actually have a quality experience when compared to Disney and Universal. Busch Gardens Tampa is far worse, though.

ryguy

I'll admit after Blackfish our family decided together to take Sea World off our list of things to do in Orlando. However, now that they have reconsidered there stance, I think Sea World will be added back to the list. In the end public pressure made them do the right thing, and I feel they should be rewarded for that, even though it probably wasn't from their heart. I also care about humans and never want a theme park to shutter, many good people work for Sea World and no rational person should want the place to close. Truthfully the outcome is a win-win for everyone (and thing) involved, so that's good.

LukaLand

I'll admit after Blackfish our family decided together to take Sea World off our list of things to do in Orlando. However, now that they have reconsidered there stance, I think Sea World will be added back to the list. In the end public pressure made them do the right thing, and I feel they should be rewarded for that, even though it probably wasn't from their heart. I also care about humans and never want a theme park to shutter, many good people work for Sea World and no rational person should want the place to close. Truthfully the outcome is a win-win for everyone (and thing) involved, so that's good.

I'm confused about what part of SW's changes you consider to be a win for the Killer Whales? I see 3 major changes made: the end of breeding, the cancellation of Blue World, and switching the show format. Obviously no one thinks Blue Worlds cancellation benefits the Killer Whales. This would have expanded and greatly enriched the whales lives. The end of breeding is being celebrated wildly, but it will cause the very things many criticize Seaworld for to occur with more frequency. There is no long term reliable birth control method for cetaceans. There's also been a Killer Whale birth resulting from two whales mating between a pool gate. This means that long term separation of the males and females will occur at some point. Which means more broken whale families, not less. It also leads to the very real possibility of increased agression due to sexual frustration in the animals. I understand that the PETA folks want these whales to not be replaced, but remember, reproducing is a very normal part of their lives. Only 4 calves (Nakai, Kohana, Makani, and Kamea) were the result of artificial insemination. The rest were concieved the old fashioned way. A few even without Seaworld's blessing, lol! As for the shows? They are an essential part of the whales exersize and enrichment program. While many celebrated the show change, it changes zero for the whales. Blue Worlds partial budget is going to a new, large TV and rockwork for the audience to see. The whale pool remains the same. The whales will still jump and slide out. Only now there will be footage of wild Killer Whales on the TV and a few facts presented. Nothing changes except the public's perception. And what about the Dolphins? If the changes made for the Whales is enough to convince you that Seaworld is ok again, you must not object to the care they recieve. Why not? Why are they any different?

One last fact that the anti-SW camp would love for no one to know: Corky, a 52 year old female Killer Whale at the San Diego park has outlived every single one of her wild pod. Her population is well studied, and she is their oldest member.

ryguy

Baby Steps Luna, Baby Steps. I agree about Dolphins, but my big beef was the breeding program. And they addressed it. Also what separates Sea World from most other aquariums is the fact that they have killer whales. Once we get into Dolphins now your talking about a lot more organizations involved. My hope is that other aquariums will see what Sea World is doing and change their attitude about having Dolphin programs. That will take time. Since blackfish many people's perception of animals in captivity has changed, and that's a good thing. But this problem is a long term problem, in the short term the current whales are making the sacrifice for the whales of the future. Truthfully whales, dolphins, and manatees should never be in captivity unless they are injured. And certainly never bred.

BrianV

They want Sea World to no longer be around meanwhile there are animals are over the world being killed for their fins and meat and nobody bats an eyelid because they're not behind glass.

You mean the 50+ billion animals consumed a year, mostly held in captivity until they are put down? Feel like we need a little perspective here.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
You mean the 50+ billion animals consumed a year, mostly held in captivity until they are put down? Feel like we need a little perspective here.

Yeah because the animals in captivity are far more important than the animals that are driven to or nearly to extinction in the open ocean

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom