They need to Eliminate Genie Plus and Lightning Lane

Djsfantasi

The issue with standby is that, well, standby-only causes severe congestion with an "entry gets you unlimited rides, if you want to wait" style of payment.

If you want standby-only, you'd need to bring back ticket books. Otherwise, I'd advocate that the way Fastpasses used to work prior to FP+ is probably the best solution. Limited in number in a visible way, you go to a kiosk to get them (maybe now you can scan your smartphone or Magicband instead), come back when it says, etc. It could cause issues for the mobility impaired but I'm sure there's a workaround they could figure out. No different from the mobility impaired being disadvantaged by the morningtime ropedrop rush which there's no real solution for.
I hope you don’t mean literally bring back ticket books. With the existing computing power, you could implement the old concept of physical ticket books with MDE, MagicBands or plastic tickets. The latter two could use kiosks to check what entitlements you had left.

And Disney could dynamically change an attractions rating to modify demand in real-time.

wdwfan4ver

Sorry, I think they are going to stay forever. The park reservation system is more likely to go away although I feel that is unlikely to happen. I think Disney wanted an excuse for the reservation system and covid-19 fit in perfectly.

The problem with getting a rid of the Genie+ and Lightning lane is Management would be saying they would be saying they misestimated how much guests would put up with. Disney is in a double down mood and the people responsible for Genie + are still in the company.

If WDW park attendance ever goes down higher than Disney wants, Genie+ and Lightning lane still will be there. What Disney would do for drawing more guests would be deals on their hotels, or some type of a dining plan.

wdwfan4ver

If Bob Chapek or Josh announced at D23 they were eliminating Genie+ and Lightning Lane they would get a standing ovation.
I know, but I don't see that happening. I am not a fan of Genie+ and Lightning lane for having to pay for it.

Chapek himself was talking positive about Genie+ and Lightning lane earlier this year in terms of sales.

Karakasa

I hope you don’t mean literally bring back ticket books. With the existing computing power, you could implement the old concept of physical ticket books with MDE, MagicBands or plastic tickets. The latter two could use kiosks to check what entitlements you had left.

And Disney could dynamically change an attractions rating to modify demand in real-time.
Oh, not literally, of course! Just meant in the sense of "free/cheap to get in, every attraction costs money".

Ginzuishou

Perhaps lightning lane usage will die down, but it will probably never go away. It's sad that it came to this (paying extra to get on a ride because you are not guaranteed to get on anymore), but they are trying to recoup from the pandemic and also deal with the enormous amount of crowds.

esskay

I can live with lightining lane and genie+ (and no I wont pay for it). The reservation system needs to end though. Talk about making your trip a pain in the .

B O

They should, in the process, expand the DAS pass qualification to qualify those who are 60 and older and those with physical disabilities that make it painful to stand in a long line such as arthritis, back pain, knee replacement, autoimmune diseases, etc. They can go get a return time that is the same as the estimated wait time in the standby lane and instead of standing in line, they can go sit on a bench, go shopping or dining, go to the restroom, go watch a show, etc while waiting in line.
I recently had to speak to a DAS cast member because my husband is considered disabled by the ADA, they said he was fine to get a pass BUT if it is just that you can't wait in long lines because of standing they will assist you in getting a wheelchair because too many abused the fact that you used to rent a wheelchair for10 bucks a day & basically never wait in a line.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
but both AP and non-AP needs a reservation. So how does that mess with APers and not the rest of the pack? Wouldn't the limitations apply to all who attempt to enter a park???

As an example - They could make the pool of reservations for AP holders small, like 1000 per park per day while having a much, much larger pool (say, 40k per park per day) for non-AP tickets and resort guests. Or... not offer APs for sale.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
but is that what is actually happening? Logically it makes sense. Now that you brought it up I could totally see 2 pools.

My understanding is that AP's have a separate pool of park reservations. APs tend to be a very loyal bunch of park goers, but since Bob & Josh seem to have a very negative view of AP's, I would expect them to leave no stone unturned in their efforts to rid the US parks of them. Except they'll likely offer them, in limited quantities, at extremely high prices, to show everyone what upstanding guys they are to "their most loyal fans".

Married5Times

sounds like fraud to me..........total willful misrepresentation to a buying public........not that I think there's even a remote chance but class actions have been started for less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom