They can't be serious

mguimond1990

Original Poster
$145 a night for Pop in mid Sept 2019?! $130 for All-Stars. The balls they have to charge that absurd amount..especially when Cabana Bay (a nicer version of Pop) at Universal is $112/night for the same week. They really are pushing folks out with prices like that.

mguimond1990

Original Poster
One word - Skyliner. You think $145 is high? You ain’t seen nothing yet. I can assure you that Cabana Bay is no longer $112 in September. I just left Universal and Cabana Bay was $200 per night.
Screenshot_20181006-160719_Chrome.jpg

It's definitely $112 a night. As you can see from the screenshot that's Sept 15th-20th 2019. Don't know why you paid $200

Last edited:

WallyWorld

$145 a night for Pop in mid Sept 2019?! $130 for All-Stars. The balls they have to charge that absurd amount..especially when Cabana Bay (a nicer version of Pop) at Universal is $112/night for the same week. They really are pushing folks out with prices like that.

So...pay the cheaper rate....and if you want to go to Disney, pay the Uber/car rental price...I think Disney knows this in setting their price.

Dad 2 M & M

So...pay the cheaper rate....and if you want to go to Disney, pay the Uber/car rental price...I think Disney knows this in setting their price.
Right on.....
Cuz, they'll get that easily, and more.
Oh course they will.....

Wait for the Fall discounts to come out late next Spring/Summer if you don't want to pay full rate.....and see if you can still get a 5 night stay! Go ahead and book that attractive rate at that Universal resort, as Disney can wait to fill up their resorts.

By the way, their is limited availability now for 5 Night Sun - Fri stay in October. We did find Sports (our least favorite Value Resort) for $120 a night Passholder Holiday Room Offer, and the Regular Rate is $150.00!! Again, the Regular Rate is $150 now, and is considered "Fall Season" rate until the last week of the month, when lower "Fall 2" pricing begins.

Sept/Oct 2018 Regular Rates for a Value Resorts, prices released June 20, 2017:

Pop Century
Aug 26-Sep 15 Standard Room $141 (Considered Value 2 Season)
Sep 16-Oct 4 Standard Room $154 (Considered Fall Season)

All Star Sports/Music/Movies
Aug 26-Sep 15 Standard Room $121 (Considered Value 2 Season)
Sep 16-Oct 4 Standard Room $138 (Considered Fall Season)

Last point to everyone dancing in the streets because "Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018 "......try to book a 5 night stay during these "soft" times....

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

One word - Skyliner. You think $145 is high? You ain’t seen nothing yet. I can assure you that Cabana Bay is no longer $112 in September. I just left Universal and Cabana Bay was $200 per night.
Well done!

Cabana Bay is that cheap if you'll commit this far in advance! Disney would never discount this far in advance as they tend to discount, or extend discounted offers much later to fill resorts to capacity. Plus, the OP was quoting a Sunday Check-in, Friday Check-out, which is one of the tougher 5 night stays to capture. You'd almost have to book now to have any chance of getting those dates.....thus the non-discounted price.....

Dad 2 M & M

Heck those look low to me these days, and I'm as critical of WDW's pricing in general as anyone.
They might be a bargain, relative to the increase that might be coming.......there is SOOOOO much construction going on in DHS, EPCOT, and resort transportation! AK and MK both were expanded recently......

Doubt anyone would be shocked if the rates at Pop don't go up Caribbean, but what about the rates at Swan n Dolphin, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk? Is there a premium to be charged to those resort guests to avoid the International Gateway Entrance? Special entrance for those resorts?

mguimond1990

Original Poster
Well done!

Cabana Bay is that cheap if you'll commit this far in advance! Disney would never discount this far in advance as they tend to discount, or extend discounted offers much later to fill resorts to capacity. Plus, the OP was quoting a Sunday Check-in, Friday Check-out, which is one of the tougher 5 night stays to capture. You'd almost have to book now to have any chance of getting those dates.....thus the non-discounted price.....

I'm so confused as to why you think it's almost impossible to book a 5 night trip. I stayed at Cabana Bay Sept of this year..sunday-friday and booked the trip two weeks before we left. I know I didn't pay $112 a night. I believe it was closer to $125, but the resort wasn't anywhere near capacity. Now if you're talking about Disney resorts then I understand, because those always appear to fill up.

Dad 2 M & M

I'm so confused as to why you think it's almost impossible to book a 5 night trip. I stayed at Cabana Bay Sept of this year..sunday-friday and booked the trip two weeks before we left. I know I didn't pay $112 a night. I believe it was closer to $125, but the resort wasn't anywhere near capacity. Now if you're talking about Disney resorts then I understand, because those always appear to fill up.
I went back and reread my post and realize it wasn't very clear. I was referring to Disney Resorts and the challenge involved with booking a 5 night Sunday-Friday stay; hope that clears up the confusion.

There were a couple of points in my post:

1) The Disney prices you quoted for next September are non-discounted "Value 2" and "Fall" rates
2) Annually, the discounted rates for Disney Resort stays in the Fall are released in the Summer....generally September discounts are released in Mid-June. If you wait until the discounts are released, you will most likely be shut out of ANY 5 Night Stay at a Disney Value Resort, much less a Sunday-Thursday discounted stay. In other words, if you wait until next June to book your Sept 5 night stay, there probably will not be anything available.
3) Disney doesn't discount a year in advance and DOESN'T HAVE TO to fill their resorts

You made the last point for me. Cabana Bay MUST struggle to fill rooms, and thus are willing to give discounts up to a year in advance. Further, if you were able to get that Sunday-Friday 5 night stay two weeks out THIS year (last month), in the $125 range per night, they really are struggling and deep discounts should follow.

I took a look at the Universal website, perused the rooms and cancellation policies. I found the $112 room for 5 nights, added it to my cart(with no intentions of purchasing) , and proceeded to checkout. The deposit was $125 (equivalent of 1 nights rate + tax) with no cancellation penalty if cancelled 5 days prior. Those terms are definitely favorable as some resorts have discounts with "no cancellation" terms.

If $112 is in your optimal range, why not go ahead and book?

mguimond1990

Original Poster
I went back and reread my post and realize it wasn't very clear. I was referring to Disney Resorts and the challenge involved with booking a 5 night Sunday-Friday stay; hope that clears up the confusion.

There were a couple of points in my post:

1) The Disney prices you quoted for next September are non-discounted "Value 2" and "Fall" rates
2) Annually, the discounted rates for Disney Resort stays in the Fall are released in the Summer....generally September discounts are released in Mid-June. If you wait until the discounts are released, you will most likely be shut out of ANY 5 Night Stay at a Disney Value Resort, much less a Sunday-Thursday discounted stay. In other words, if you wait until next June to book your Sept 5 night stay, there probably will not be anything available.
3) Disney doesn't discount a year in advance and DOESN'T HAVE TO to fill their resorts

You made the last point for me. Cabana Bay MUST struggle to fill rooms, and thus are willing to give discounts up to a year in advance. Further, if you were able to get that Sunday-Friday 5 night stay two weeks out THIS year (last month), in the $125 range per night, they really are struggling and deep discounts should follow.

I took a look at the Universal website, perused the rooms and cancellation policies. I found the $112 room for 5 nights, added it to my cart(with no intentions of purchasing) , and proceeded to checkout. The deposit was $125 (equivalent of 1 nights rate + tax) with no cancellation penalty if cancelled 5 days prior. Those terms are definitely favorable as some resorts have discounts with "no cancellation" terms.

If $112 is in your optimal range, why not go ahead and book?
I definitely agree that universal must have a hard time filling their resorts during "slow periods" and unfortunately I can't see that changing until the inevitable third park is complete. I can also see an issue with the new value resort they are opening next year for $79/night. I imagine that takes away from Cabana Bay even more. Or even Aventura.

I guess the whole point of my original post was I was just so shocked to see Pop that high. We went a little over a year ago and paid maybe $101? But I also think that was the discounted fall rate that you have mentioned. $145 just seemed high, and I think it's infuriating when Disney tries to justify increases or prices because of some transportation advantage (like skyliner, or monorail)..all of universals resorts have a walking path to the parks (with the exception of the new value being built) and the prices don't seem asinine.

To each their own. I know people will pay the $145 for Pop and I hope they have a blast 😊

Dad 2 M & M

I definitely agree that universal must have a hard time filling their resorts during "slow periods" and unfortunately I can't see that changing until the inevitable third park is complete. I can also see an issue with the new value resort they are opening next year for $79/night. I imagine that takes away from Cabana Bay even more. Or even Aventura.

I guess the whole point of my original post was I was just so shocked to see Pop that high. We went a little over a year ago and paid maybe $101? But I also think that was the discounted fall rate that you have mentioned. $145 just seemed high, and I think it's infuriating when Disney tries to justify increases or prices because of some transportation advantage (like skyliner, or monorail)..all of universals resorts have a walking path to the parks (with the exception of the new value being built) and the prices don't seem asinine.

To each their own. I know people will pay the $145 for Pop and I hope they have a blast 😊
Just want to point to 1 thing here - From your post above - But I also think that was the discounted fall rate that you have mentioned. $145 just seemed high - $145 is the Standard Non-Discounted Rate for next September, not the DISCOUNTED RATE as the discount will not be released until next June 2019....

Based on this year, 2018, here is a sample of September Standard and Discounted Rates:

All Star Sports/Music/Movies
Standard Room - $125 Non-discounted, $112 Magical Holidays Room Offer - AP offer is even less
Preferred Room - $145 Non-discounted, $131 Magical Holidays Room Offer - AP offer is even less

Pop Century
Standard Room - $140 Non-discounted, $126 Magical Holidays Room Offer - AP offer is even less
Preferred Room - $160 Non-discounted, $144 Magical Holidays Room Offer - AP offer is even less

I love your passion, but the "some sort of transportation advantage" is really going to draw people out to those resorts. The Gondola is will result in Pop being packed with those willing to pay primo $$$ to stay.

The walking path you mention is not seen as added value by many who would stay at Pop Century. Pop already charges a Premium for a Preferred Room, as most will pay to be closer to Classic Hall and busing. Those people are willing to pay more for a shorter walk in the Resort.....and surely are the people who will pay primo $$$ for the Gondola privilage......

We are in the minority as we are willing to PAY MORE for the "privilege" of attending with reduced crowds. The After Hours Event, aka known as "Money grab" are tremendous and we attend those every chance we get!!

Dad 2 M & M

Thanks for this info, as I don't keep up with Universal.

What is the status of the 3rd park? They really need to be careful as Disney is spending $$$ and prying people away is going to get even tougher......

LUVofDIS

We are in the minority as we are willing to PAY MORE for the "privilege" of attending with reduced crowds. The After Hours Event, aka known as "Money grab" are tremendous and we attend those every chance we get!!

This is off topic, but we are considering the After Hours this December, we normally attend two parties at MK during this time, I love the fireworks and Parade and the all around atmosphere of the parties. We are thinking of doing one party and an After Hours event, is the After Hours that good that you can accomplish all the rides in those three hours? I know you can enter the parks at seven, and actually we could enter anytime as we are AP members. But I would want to focus on the three hours with "low crowds".

mguimond1990

Original Poster
Thanks for this info, as I don't keep up with Universal.

What is the status of the 3rd park? They really need to be careful as Disney is spending $$$ and prying people away is going to get even tougher......
Just from the rumors I've read on these forums I think 2022 is the goal for the third park? It seems the hold up is figuring out what to do with the Nintendo IP they aquired.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is you can book a resort at the current offered rate now and if they offer discounts later, you can call and apply the discount to your reservation.

The risk is that if your resort has booked near capacity when they release the discounts it may not be included in the discount offering. Then you have to decide if you want to switch your reservation to a resort that does have a discount or stay at the resort you originally chose. I actually booked a preferred room at Pop one year and when the discounts were announced, Pop wasn't available, but the discount at POFQ was slightly cheaper than my original booking, so I upgraded. If a lot of folks had waited, maybe Pop would have been included and I'd have saved more $$$, but I'll never know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom