Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

muddyrivers

It seems like a lot of the unique stuff from QS/food court is disappearing. People just want to chow down on burgers and nuggets and it's such a shame.

Yeah these little touches seem to fade away when businesses become focused on shoving more people in to a location to get people in and out. I remember when I went to POP's food court and it sounded like I was in a high school cafeteria rather than a Disney eatery.

John park hopper

They taste the same, but are slightly smaller and as unbelievable as it is are not all that inexpensive. All they are is pure vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate coating. I will say that it isn't the same. Buying them there and eating them immediately at WDW has some sort of magical pull that makes them better, but they really aren't. Like I said just smaller and around $7.00 for four of them
At 4 for $7 dollars ($1.75 each) is a lot better than WDW $5.75 each Mickey Bar. Don't think I get 4 bucks worth of enjoyment just eating it at WDW. That's just me

Goofyernmost

At 4 for $7 dollars ($1.75 each) is a lot better than WDW $5.75 each Mickey Bar. Don't think I get 4 bucks worth of enjoyment just eating it at WDW. That's just me
Yes, but for Walmart's that is wealthy poor person cost. Besides the rest of what you pay for at WDW is atmosphere. It is cheaper to drink at home then go out, but the atmosphere is lacking. Same thing! It isn't me. I bought some and even though I could not distinguish any change in flavor it just was not the same. Besides, at home I would consume all four, probably in one sitting, but wouldn't think about doing that at WDW. Scientifically, that means it takes four of those to mentally equal one onsite Mickey Bar. Argo, more expensive with less psychological pleasure. Also after paying more for the same flavor rush you don't get to go to an attraction right after you get the chocolate stain off you shirt from falling chunks of chocolate. (I'm a sloppy eater)
In later years of traveling to WDW instead of getting excited about the overall experience, which at this point I just take for granted, my sole thought was on when I could get my first Mickey Bar. It was kind of like my early road trips to Florida my focus would be on that cold OJ at the Welcome Station on I-95. That came from my first experience at about the age of 14 on a trip with my family. They don't even do that anymore as of the last time I went (pre-pandemic). I'm guessing it will not ever be done again.

Matt_Black

Speaking of Pop , well next door really...I used to love the Art of Animation food court station that was called tandoori. I just happened to go there last summer right before they changed it. As always the food was very good, and it was always fairly popular whenever I visited. I don't know why they got rid of it. Instead of the usual junk fast food, you could get a serving of butter chicken, good basmati rice, and awesome veggies like baked winter squash or spinach w/paneer. It was a great option for vegetarians and even the naan was tasty. WDW even had a real tandoori oven. Just so sad. I used to go over to the AoA food court just to get that platter; it was that good!

They... They got rid of it?:(

MickeyLuv'r

They... They got rid of it?:(
Interesting....
For the time being, I think it is closed.
On the WDW website menu, the tandoori items are listed.
On another Disney related website - one that has been reliable for 15+ years - the tandoori items are not listed. (says menu was last checked in Jan 2020.)
They are listed on the WDWMagic menu page.

So, I'm not really sure. WDW frequently changes menus, so it is entirely possible they brought it back after removing it for a time. I have certainly seen that happen over the years.

novum

Can someone add a line or a circle to show where the Magic Kingdom would later be built at?
Wow I love that one can see the Poly Longhouses going up in the left of the picture. And the footprint for the Golf Resort "nw" of that....great find.

I too have fond memories of getting lost in the details of the Great Fountain in the middle of the Great Ceremonial Hut while my father checked us into the hotel, but I honestly believe the new lobby is a good change. The open space follows modern arch. and design theory, and brings the lobby in line with all the other high end hotel lobbies.

Also about the Poly, in the waterfall pools out front (around the wooden walkway from the car drop off into the lobby) did they use to have koi fish in there? For some reason, I remember that, but I'm not sure its an accurate memory lol.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They taste the same, but are slightly smaller and as unbelievable as it is are not all that inexpensive. All they are is pure vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate coating. I will say that it isn't the same. Buying them there and eating them immediately at WDW has some sort of magical pull that makes them better, but they really aren't. Like I said just smaller and around $7.00 for four of them

The Mickey ice cream bars sold in stores are absolutely different than the ones sold in the parks. And it's not even a question - Dark chocolate vs milk chocolate coating. Different tasting ice cream.

Goofyernmost

The Mickey ice cream bars sold in stores are absolutely different than the ones sold in the parks. And it's not even a question - Dark chocolate vs milk chocolate coating. Different tasting ice cream.
Vanilla Ice Cream shaped like Mickey's head coated in rich chocolate on a stick. How much room is there for difference in those two items. I didn't notice any difference other then size and atmosphere. Mileage may vary!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Vanilla Ice Cream shaped like Mickey's head coated in rich chocolate on a stick. How much room is there for difference in those two items. I didn't notice any difference other then size and atmosphere. Mileage may vary!

As per usual, just because you don't notice a difference doesn't mean there isn't one. In fact, there was a discussion on the list of ingredients, and the two bars are different.

Goofyernmost

As per usual, just because you don't notice a difference doesn't mean there isn't one. In fact, there was a discussion on the list of ingredients, and the two bars are different.
As per usual???? I believe that the line Mileage may vary is saying that others might be different, but as usual, the thing wasn't read all the way through. BTW, after this post I will not be drawn into a discuss of such a ridiculous topic. If you feel that they are different, fine I described how it seemed to me. Since it is about personal experience we are both correct so nothing left to argue about. Have a magical day.

Last edited:

dave&di

Wow I love that one can see the Poly Longhouses going up in the left of the picture. And the footprint for the Golf Resort "nw" of that....great find.

I too have fond memories of getting lost in the details of the Great Fountain in the middle of the Great Ceremonial Hut while my father checked us into the hotel, but I honestly believe the new lobby is a good change. The open space follows modern arch. and design theory, and brings the lobby in line with all the other high end hotel lobbies.

Also about the Poly, in the waterfall pools out front (around the wooden walkway from the car drop off into the lobby) did they use to have koi fish in there? For some reason, I remember that, but I'm not sure its an accurate memory lol.
I would be interested to see the view with the bungalows from ’Tahiti’ building (I don’t think it’s called that now?) we stayed there in 2010 and had a magnificent view, I don’t think I’d like it now!
A0384014-EA66-4104-BB5C-DFCA97DDB1F7.jpeg
27F66C0A-1CCA-48A3-9911-2A123F12073A.jpeg
CEF96F43-8494-4F48-81BB-4F216A018803.jpeg

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Yes they did have Koi there, but they were removed prior to hurricane Irma in 2017 and did not return.

HarperRose

That's surprising. IME, the smell of chocolate chip cookies was almost overwhelming on Main Street, especially late at night.

I also recall a conversation I had some years ago with a CM over by Sleepy Hollow. That was back when they had their own chocolate chip cookies, and they made fresh ice cream sandwiches with their fresh baked cookies. Main Street still sold official branded Nestle Tollhouse cc cookies, but the SH ones were not Nestle. I forget exactly how I asked, but something along the lines of surprise that the SH ones weren't Nestle. she said they hadn't been Nestle in some years, but the one time they tried, people protested. She went on to say Disney would probably never change them.

Sigh.

The SH chocolate chunk cookies are now gone. They were SOOO good!

On a crazy side note (with apologies to you, GoofGoof), the other day I saw Mickey ice cream bars (the kind with ears +chocolate coating) at Target. I wasn't able to buy an though because they would have melted too fast, so I can't say if they taste like the ones at WDW.
They don't taste anything like the ones at WDW. Save your money for the real deal. :)

This thread will showcase changes to Walt Disney World over the years. My intent is to post pairs of photographs, from years ago to present day, of various WDW views to show the changes occurring to WDW. Some changes will be quite apparent (i.e., buildings, vegetation), while other changes will be more subtle (i.e., paint colors, details). You may enjoy "finding the differences" as you review the paired photos. All current photos were taken from as near as possible the exact spot as the original so that the perspective will be the same. However, some conditions were not controllable, such as weather.

I will only post photo pairs on occasion, so stay tuned. I have been collecting these photographs from private individuals and my own collection for some time, so I want to ensure they are accurate comparisons. Enjoy! - WDWtraveler

First photo pair: Then: October 1973. Cinderella Castle as viewed from Fantasyland's Mad Tea Party. The building on the right is Cheshire Café. Note the castle hillside is planted with grass.

View attachment 101071

Now: July 2015. 42 years later, the trees on the hillside obscure most of Cinderella Castle.

View attachment 101072
It wasn't pink back then.

Second photo pair. Then: October 1973. The Contemporary resort from the monorail. Big '70's cars in the parking lot. Very few hedges, lots of grass to mow.

View attachment 101806

Now: July 2015. The trees grew, and a convention center was added. Note some parts of the building are painted white. SUV's dominate the parking lots. More hedges and planting beds than grass.

View attachment 101807
I think it looks much better now with all the foilage

The_Jobu

Does anyone know precisely where this spot is in the park? I'm guessing America Gardens but I'm not sure. Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but I thought all the photo/location experts would be in here.

speech.png

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Forty-seventh set of photo pairs. The Universe of Energy Pavilion at Epcot.

Then: July 2017. View at the front of the pavilion. It had already closed by July 2017, before construction walls appeared. The mirrored surface of the pavilion and landscaping formed a large part of the attraction's first impression.
IMG_9854.JPG

Now: June 2022. Guardians of the Galaxy replaced the attraction in the same building.

IMG_3715.JPG

Then: July 2017. View from the right side of the Universe of Energy pavilion, with Spaceship Earth in the background. Note the large sloping extension of the pavilion's roof towards the attraction's iconic sign.

IMG_9860.JPG

Now: June 2022. View from the right side of Guardians of the Galaxy pavilion, with Spaceship Earth in the background.

IMG_3708.JPG

Then: July 2017. View of the left side of Universe of Energy pavilion, the attraction entrance. The sloping extension of the roof line in front of the entrance occupied a large part of the attraction's courtyard.

IMG_9857.JPG

Now: June 2022. The view of the left side of Guardians of the Galaxy pavilion, the attraction entrance. The mirrored surface of the pavilion was replaced with matte panels. Landscaping around the entrance was removed.

IMG_3710.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom