Theme Parks or Amusment Parks

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
Do you think the theme parks or amusment parks will last longer (like in 100 years what will be left). And also how do you tell T-Parks from A-parks?

MrPromey

Well, an amusement park is just that. A series of exhibits strung together to keep people entertained. There is usually very little order to where things are placed (other then where there is room) and all theming if at all is pretty much minimal. A theme park has some kind of order. There is usually a theme of some sort that either carries the entire park (Like, Epcot, MGM, AK, BG, SW or US) or carries separate areas (such as MK or [shutter] IOA).
Theme parks almost always have only one central entrance and are designed with attractions that compliment each other being placed together. There is also usually a much higher attention to detail placed in both the attractions and customer areas. Amusement which were often started on a very small scale as a way to attract people to a part of town or to promote the use of public transportation around the turn of the century have been around a lot longer but most suffer from the lack of a master plan in their design. They started out small and expanded over the years/decades wherever they were able to find room regardless of whether two attractions would fit well together or not.
Today, because theme parks are regarded as higher quality, many amusement parks have begun to add theming to their attractions and to pay more attention to landscaping and other environmental conditions such as music and unique architecture in an attempt to blur the like between theme park and amusement park. IMHO, for instance, IOA is a highly themed modern amusement park which while top of the like for an amusement park, falls short in many of it's areas from being a good theme park. On the other hand, US, run by the same people is a full theme park that carries it's theme throughout. (not that I'm saying it's as good as Disney, mind you ;) )

I'm sure I've missed a few things in this post that others on the board will probably be able to add but this should provide you with the basic concept...

The Mom

Premium Member
wdwmaniac, I think that you've asked an interesting question. Obviously, amusement parks have been around for over 100 years, but very few individual parks have lasted that long. I grew up within walking distance of one, and it has been closed for decades, yet was a thriving enterprise at one time. So yes, amusement and theme parks will probably be around in 100 years. I suspect that Disney , Universal, and Busch Parks will be, but doubt that all, if any, of the 6 Flags will make it.

I suspect that only the "destination" parks will survive. The others are for day trips near populated areas, or as another diversion in a vacation area...the beach, mountains, etc. These areas change over time due to development, economy,natural changes, etc. so if the area changes, the park fails.

I will let someone else express his/her definition of what distinguishes a theme park from an amusement park.....this post is getting too long! ;)

MrPromey

I've thought a little on my previous post and have decided that I was being a little hard on IOA when I said it was more of a themed amusement park. It fits all the basic requirements of what makes up a theme park and in reality they do a better job than others (such as Bush Gardens) which have already been established as known theme parks. Disney is pretty much in its own category because many of their own standards go far beyond the definition of theme park. When I was comparing IOA to US, I was thinking more along the lines of what makes a Disney park than I was what makes a theme park... My apologies...

To expand a bit on the theme/amusement, an amusement park would have no problem putting an attraction along the lines of Splash mountain next to something like space ranger spin. While this is a bad example because no amusement park would invest in an attraction like Splash mountain it makes my point about how they really don't care that the two have drastically conflicting themes and are right next to each other.

Tramp

Originally posted by marciahahn
yes, amusement and theme parks will probably be around in 100 years. I suspect that Disney , Universal, and Busch Parks will be, but doubt that all, if any, of the 6 Flags will make it.

I agree Marcia...I can see the Amusement Parks fade into history much like the greats of yesteryear such as Palisades and Coney Island...

Theme Parks have a 'better' chance of survival cuz they are owned by conglomerates with diversified holdings that can survive economic downturns. If Disney consisted only of the Theme Park division, I doubt you would see it 100 years from now.

mightyduck

The Six Flags in New Jersey is themed and they did some serious creative spinning to make the rides "fit" the themed areas because it was done after the fact. Cast member training at Six Flags requires learning the difference between theme parks and amusement parks and being able to explain to guests why Six Flags is a theme park and why that's better for them.

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
It Six Falgs NJ is not as nice as Disney and there Safari Sucks!! I like the coasters there, Like Meduas. But six Flags Seems like a big amusement park like the paramont parks. They are themed but are no theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom