Theme Parks Have Rides, Right? WDW vs. DLR 2022 Edition

yensidtlaw1969

No they weren't! They were all woke, homeless hooligans!

While subjective, Pan and Frozen are considered E's internally, with Rapunzel a D and Tink a C.
Will Pan feature Animatronics? It just occurred to me that there were a decent bunch built for Shanghai's PPF, they could likely reuse the molds for some new figures in Tokyo.

Californian Elitist

Huh. That's pretty much the complete opposite of what everyone else has said here. Also the complete opposite of the photos that people have posted online of what Anaheim CM's "look" like now.

I've obscured their eyes and nametags because this is not their fault for lowering park standards and aesthetics like this, it's the direct fault of their management who wanted to lower the labor costs by widening the labor pool with lower standards. Basic labor economics 101 there on lowering labor costs, but the physical result in the Anaheim park is dramatically different this fall than it was just a few years ago.

View attachment 676604

EDIT: Look at the pants. It's clearly obvious those haven't been ironed/pressed in many wearings. They may have been thrown in a washer, but they weren't ironed. There's no leg crease or any body and structure to them any more. This is not his fault technically. It is ultimately the fault of his Fantasyland management for allowing him to go out onto the StorybookLand stage looking like this for paying customers.

Do they even call it "Onstage" in Anaheim any more? And if they still do, why?

View attachment 676605
Have you yourself gone to the parks recently and witnessed anything?

TP2000

Original Poster
Have you yourself gone to the parks recently and witnessed anything?

Nope. I've been busy with life.

Are you suggesting that the photos above of Disneyland CM's taken in October, 2022 are not real?

I also haven't been to Tokyo Disneyland since 2019. For the record. :)

TP2000

Original Poster
Will Pan feature Animatronics? It just occurred to me that there were a decent bunch built for Shanghai's PPF, they could likely reuse the molds for some new figures in Tokyo.

What also strikes me is that once DisneySea's Peter Pan's flying E Ticket opens, the original and much smaller C Ticket version at Tokyo Disneyland could close for a replacement of some sort.

Ryan120420

Huh. That's pretty much the complete opposite of what everyone else has said here. Also the complete opposite of the photos that people have posted online of what Anaheim CM's "look" like now.

I've obscured their eyes and nametags because this is not their fault for lowering park standards and aesthetics like this, it's the direct fault of their management who wanted to lower the labor costs by widening the labor pool with lower standards. Basic labor economics 101 there on lowering labor costs, but the physical result in the Anaheim park is dramatically different this fall than it was just a few years ago.

View attachment 676604

EDIT: Look at the pants. It's clearly obvious those haven't been ironed/pressed in many wearings. They may have been thrown in a washer, but they weren't ironed. There's no leg crease or any body and structure to them any more. This is not his fault technically. It is ultimately the fault of his Fantasyland management for allowing him to go out onto the StorybookLand stage looking like this for paying customers.

Do they even call it "Onstage" in Anaheim any more? And if they still do, why?

View attachment 676605

The hilarious part of the tattoo policy is that this is the example Disney showed when they introduced the change:

disney-cast-member-tattoo.png

Since the policy when into effect, I've seen some quite interesting tattoos, ranging from obvious gang tattoos to Mickey Mouse in a Jason mask welding a bloody chainsaw. And despite the policy banning tattoos larger than a closed hand, and on the neck; I've seen full on tattoo sleeves and neck tattoos.

TP2000

Original Poster
Since the policy when into effect, I've seen some quite interesting tattoos, ranging from obvious gang tattoos to Mickey Mouse in a Jason mask welding a bloody chainsaw.

Cute. You've been immersed in a world of Jason wielding a bloody chainsaw! Immersed!

And despite the policy banning tattoos larger than a closed hand, and on the neck; I've seen full on tattoo sleeves and neck tattoos.

Yes, I know. I have seen photos of CM's like that too. Other posters here have also detailed that experience in Trip Reports. It's obviously a free-for-all in Anaheim now, and management doesn't care either.

Why should management care, if TDA execs don't care? Those Dockers-clad managers in Fantasyland get their salary regardless of how many tats the biker guy driving StorybookLand boats is showing.

And by lowering the standards for StorybookLand boat drivers, TDA instantly widens their labor pool and thus can pay cheaper wages today with lower wage growth in the future. It's a Win-Win for both the TDA Exec and the Dockers-clad manager!

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

It's always amazing how silent so many have been about the wages of the CMs or how the average guest treats them but how loudly some scream and cry about tattoos, a very normal part of the world in 2022. Just interesting to me.

Perhaps some of you would like some cheese to go with your whine?

Californian Elitist

I have absolutely no idea what a photo of a Billionaire shrugging her shoulders means, but I assume you begrudgingly are forced to agree that the photos in this thread are real. That's all I needed. ;)
It means I’ve made my point. You’re throwing around choice words and “old man yells at cloud” rhetoric over something you’ve yet to experience/see with your own eyes.

Feel free to be shooketh by several photos of CMs with long hair. If you want the pristine perfection that is typical of Japanese culture, continue to not go to the DLR. Your complaints are absurd, especially given the fact that you’re currently not going to the parks.

EPCOTCenterLover

I was at DL about two weeks ago. I did not take photos of the Cast Members, but I was surprised by the number of those with multiple tattoos showing. (And my sleeved son would fit in perfectly.) The level of service was great, but it was a definite visual difference.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

On another note, I was talking with my colleague that came with me to DLR this last summer for her first visit. She had the opportunity over Fall Break to go to Walt Disney World for her first visit since 2017. Now that she's seen both, these were her thoughts on the present state of the parks:
-There were a number of sub-optimal things going on at DL that she attributed to DLR but I attributed to the way TWDC operates their parks now. Now having seen both months apart, she realized that I was correct and that many things that DLR is currently dealing with carry over to WDW, where they are just as bad or worse.
-Very justifiable frustration about the parking charges at the WDW hotels, which were not a thing the last time she visited.
-She and her sister were both very let down by Disney Enchantment. She enjoyed Harmonius but said it didn't blow her away like WOC did.
-Florida Pirates wasn't ruined forever for her, but is definitely inferior to the Disneyland version. What was interesting to me is that she noted that the 'Pirates water smell' was different and wasn't as strong or as good in Florida.
-She didn't set out any shared attraction as better at WDW, but in addition to Pirates felt that Small World and Space Mountain were both better at Disneyland.
-The cut down entertainment at WDW was definitely noticed.
-They had terrible luck with transportation, even having issues with the Skyliner going down at points (they stayed at Pop Century). "The Skyliner's great, when it works!" Transport seems to have been the biggest problem on their WDW trip. She talked about how much easier it was at DLR where transportation was basically a non-issue and how even though you're doing a lot of walking, since you're walking shorter distances it was easier to deal with.
-One Florida positive: they discovered Country Bear Jamboree for the first time and loved it!

Long story short, she expected WDW to easily retain its crown as her favorite Disney resort but said that based on how both resorts are operating right now, DLR was easily the better experience.

Stevek

Having spent a lot of days at WDW recently, one of my main take aways is this: None of the four WDW parks, individually, have enough rides to soak up the crowds. That is the single worst thing about the Florida Resort. Well, aside from the ruining of Epcot.

And, since I just came down with Covid two days ago (literally the day before I was going to get my next booster), I would like to point out that, while the Covid situation is not as awful as it once was, it’s not completely over. So far my symptoms are flulike with a really bad, persistent headache. This has torpedoed my plans to snag a Mr. Toad popcorn bucket. I am quarantining, playing Marvel Snap and marathoning Kim’s Convenience.
(Edit)
Personally, I’d rate Runaway Railway as a D ticket.
Hope you feel better soon. Kicked my butt a couple months ago.

shambolicdefending

On another note, I was talking with my colleague that came with me to DLR this last summer for her first visit. She had the opportunity over Fall Break to go to Walt Disney World for her first visit since 2017. Now that she's seen both, these were her thoughts on the present state of the parks:
-There were a number of sub-optimal things going on at DL that she attributed to DLR but I attributed to the way TWDC operates their parks now. Now having seen both months apart, she realized that I was correct and that many things that DLR is currently dealing with carry over to WDW, where they are just as bad or worse.
-Very justifiable frustration about the parking charges at the WDW hotels, which were not a thing the last time she visited.
-She and her sister were both very let down by Disney Enchantment. She enjoyed Harmonius but said it didn't blow her away like WOC did.
-Florida Pirates wasn't ruined forever for her, but is definitely inferior to the Disneyland version. What was interesting to me is that she noted that the 'Pirates water smell' was different and wasn't as strong or as good in Florida.
-She didn't set out any shared attraction as better at WDW, but in addition to Pirates felt that Small World and Space Mountain were both better at Disneyland.
-The cut down entertainment at WDW was definitely noticed.
-They had terrible luck with transportation, even having issues with the Skyliner going down at points (they stayed at Pop Century). "The Skyliner's great, when it works!" Transport seems to have been the biggest problem on their WDW trip. She talked about how much easier it was at DLR where transportation was basically a non-issue and how even though you're doing a lot of walking, since you're walking shorter distances it was easier to deal with.
-One Florida positive: they discovered Country Bear Jamboree for the first time and loved it!

Long story short, she expected WDW to easily retain its crown as her favorite Disney resort but said that based on how both resorts are operating right now, DLR was easily the better experience.
The distinct Pirates smell at Disneyland is definitely a thing. My family of west-coast veterans took our first ever trip to the swamp last year, and I noticed the difference. I'd also echo the comments on Small World and Space Mountain.

As far as ride comparisons go, the only attraction I thought was clearly better at WDW than at DLR was Splash Mountain. The differences were subtle, but significant to me.

I think the two resorts are just apples-to-oranges for the most part. Most people will probably prefer whichever one they grew up with. For me, the major pros in WDW's favor were a couple of the unique attractions like Everest and CoP, and then the ones that used to be at Anaheim like the PeopleMover and Treehouse.

BubbaisSleep

I just wanted to get that quoted for posterity. ;) And to thank you for the big laugh this afternoon! 🤣

That's the key point for me, too. Disneyland, and even DCA, is a really well designed tapestry of experiences. It has the most E Tickets of any park ever, and will likely never be dethroned from that. But it also has the most D/C Tickets of any park; smaller rides that fill out the day's experiences to great effect and make you realize you were at a wonderful theme park.

Animal Kingdom and DHS are the worst offenders at WDW; light on rides and almost entirely made up by E Tickets with height requirements. Then at Magic Kingdom, they have a paltry roster of smaller rides, and four (4!) of them are basically the same experience, a spinner.

Magic Kingdom has Dumbo, and Astro Orbiter, and Flying Carpets. And then they spent a bunch of money and marketing buzz to build... wait for it... a double Dumbo spinner! :banghead:

It will add a much-needed E Ticket and thrill ride to Magic Kingdom, but I am still baffled by them plopping a cloned Tron ride right next to Space Mountain.

I don't think history will be kind to that Tron decision. And it also tells me that the people in charge don't really know what they're doing or why their parks are supposed to exist. :rolleyes:
Prosperity is key!!! Bigger isn’t always better Lol 😂

Completely agree with you! DL has a roster which is undefeatable at the moment. WDW managed to make its sidewalks bigger but also made their attractions smaller, and it shows. Which is why you can really feel the impact when just 1 major attraction breaks down at the WDW parks. Tron is a quick fix for capacity & thrills but doesn’t necessarily help balance the other side of the park which needs it. Even if they do redo Space after Tron opens, it will still be two coasters next to each other. Odd choice, I’m just glad I love coasters haha.

The scary part is that WDW seems to be settling back into their many years of nothing new. Yes they just opened some new stuff, but all that did was further amplify that these new attractions/updates should have been done a long time ago as each park still feels behind. Maybe DHS has had the most successful turnaround as it’s feeling closer to a full-day park with their balance and offerings. Today Epcot is still a humongous festival park with a lot of meh attractions & AK is still a gorgeous park with too few attractions. Not to mention all of AK’s future bluesky endeavors just seem to be replacements instead of additions.

TP2000

Original Poster
It's always amazing how silent so many have been about the wages of the CMs or how the average guest treats them but how loudly some scream and cry about tattoos, a very normal part of the world in 2022. Just interesting to me.

Perhaps some of you would like some cheese to go with your whine?

We had a big discussion about labor rates here a year or so ago when they allowed tats and anything goes hair and nails and beards and overall lazy grooming.

My opinion is that labor rates for unskilled, entry-level jobs at Disneyland (ride ops, burger ops, shop cashiers, custodial sweepers, ticket-takers, parking attendants, etc.) should be several bucks above California's already high minimum wage ($15.50 an hour now), or on par with In-N-Out at around $18 or $19. That wage would be fair so long as they retained the traditional grooming and performance standards, and considering that CM's have to deal with parking crap and crummy amenities and a park environment that's always at least Defcon 3.

BUT... once you remove all grooming standards and allow for mediocre service skills, you don't get to expect In-N-Out wages any longer. A buck over CA minimum wage for CM's is appropriate now, because the standards have been obviously lowered and thus the labor pool has been dramatically widened.

This is all Basic Labor Economics 101. More supply of eligible employees drives down the labor rate. Less supply of eligible employees drives up the labor rate.

RobWDW1971

Is that Thor and Santa?
What's even worse is Stinky Pete was the photographer at the big Mickey pumpkin right on Main Street so everybody visiting the park had to walk right by him.

Welcome to Walt Disney's Disneyland! Where we have completely given up!

TP2000

Original Poster
Prosperity is key!!! Bigger isn’t always better Lol 😂

Completely agree with you! DL has a roster which is undefeatable at the moment.

And yet, it would take WDW building a dozen rides in every park within one decade to get to where they should be, using Disneyland as the comparison.

WDW managed to make its sidewalks bigger but also made their attractions smaller, and it shows. Which is why you can really feel the impact when just 1 major attraction breaks down at the WDW parks.

The physical layout of WDW's Magic Kingdom was clearly done by Richard Nunis and the Park Operating Committee of the late 1960's, men who all knew instinctively and from personal experience how the park should operate. They are ready to host 20 Million guests per year at Magic Kingdom with those walkways and park infrastructure.

The failure though is that, for the most part, they stopped building rides at Magic Kingdom by 1980. They have the sidewalks for 20 Million guests per year, but they have the ride capacity for only 10 Million. Then they let Epcot devolve into its sorry state, and vastly underbuilt the ride capacity at DHS and DAK.

WDW execs did this to themselves over the last 30 years. Their predecessors set them up for great operational success, and they blew it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom