Theme breaking entertainment added to Disney’s Boardwalk

UNCgolf

It’s sad they destroyed seashore sweets to make the generic looking ample hills. I think everything to the left of trattoria needs reworked. Combine the bakery and ice cream shop into one well laid out space, that bakery is far too small for its volume, and then update ESPNs interior or new concept.

Completely agreed. Rebuild something like Seashore Sweets but make it larger with the bakery and ice cream in one place. Ideally they would add milkshakes as well.

CaptainAmerica

It’s sad they destroyed seashore sweets to make the generic looking ample hills. I think everything to the left of trattoria needs reworked. Combine the bakery and ice cream shop into one well laid out space, that bakery is far too small for its volume, and then update ESPNs interior or new concept.
The whole place is a bust. It was SUPPOSED to be a cool spot to hang out after hours, like a mini Disney Springs, but they never committed to offering guests transportation and they don't even let locals park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
all that sounds like it will come in above the $0.00 renovation budget set aside for it…

The whole place is a bust. It was SUPPOSED to be a cool spot to hang out after hours, like a mini Disney Springs, but they never committed to offering guests transportation and they don't even let locals park.
Did you go there for the first time last week?

UNCgolf

It's still a pretty great spot to hang out after hours -- we spent at least two nights there on our last two trips, despite not staying at any of those hotels. I'm not sure it would work if it was as easy to access as Disney Springs; it's not really designed to handle that many people.

That doesn't mean it's perfect as is, though. It could use some work.

Prince-1

The fact that you are calling it a ”mini Disney Springs“ shows how thin your argument is. And how ludicrous.

Pre-Covid the BW at night was always packed with people eating, enjoying cocktails, walking around, watching various street performers, riding the Surrey bikes, and having a great time. It was far far from a bust.

CaptainAmerica

The fact that you are calling it a ”mini Disney Springs“ shows how thin your argument is. And how ludicrous.

Pre-Covid the BW at night was always packed with people eating, enjoying cocktails, walking around, watching various street performers, riding the Surrey bikes, and having a great time. It was far far from a bust.
The vision for the Boardwalk (the area, not the resort) when it was conceived has not been borne out. It has failed. This is not a matter of opinion, it is universally recognized within the company.

The Boardwalk was not routinely "packed" prior to covid. The only people who go there to hang out are CPs.

Why do you think they can't keep tenants for more than a year or two?

UNCgolf

The vision for the Boardwalk (the area, not the resort) when it was conceived has not been borne out. It has failed. This is not a matter of opinion, it is universally recognized within the company.

The Boardwalk was not routinely "packed" prior to covid. The only people who go there to hang out are CPs.

Well that's definitely not true. There were plenty of non-CP there last time I was at Disney, including me and my GF. Jellyrolls was busy and while there probably were some CP there, there were a lot of people who were much too old to be CP.

The idea of having random shops there never made much sense, though. It doesn't work as a shopping location. It works very well as a dining/entertainment spot, though -- it's better than Disney Springs for somewhere to hang out at night.

Cmdr_Crimson

It used to be more highly themed -- see Seashore Sweets compared to what exists now. It's part of the same general decline in theme that's been going on at Disney for the past decade or so.

With that said, it never fully committed to the early 20th century theme across all locations even when it was new.
Next thing will see is a Dollar tree on the pier where everything is $12 to $15....🤣

CaptainAmerica

Well that's definitely not true. There were plenty of non-CP there last time I was at Disney, including me and my GF. Jellyrolls was busy and while there probably were some CP there, there were a lot of people who were much too old to be CP.
Obviously it's not 100% CPs but I was a local for several years. It's a popular cast spot and a semi-popular DVC spot. It doesn't get much traffic otherwise.

The idea of having random shops there never made much sense, though. It doesn't work as a shopping location. It works very well as a dining/entertainment spot, though -- it's better than Disney Springs for somewhere to hang out at night.
If you're staying at Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk that's true. If you're staying at Wilderness Lodge, you have *no way of getting home.* You'd have to leave by the time Epcot closes, click in through the IG, walk the length of the park while dodging fireworks crowds, then hopping a bus back to your resort with those same aforementioned crowds.

Yes, I understand that we're in a world of Uber and Lyft now, but 1) that's a fairly recent development and 2) it's not a viable option for parents with children.

UNCgolf

Obviously it's not 100% CPs but I was a local for several years. It's a popular cast spot and a semi-popular DVC spot. It doesn't get much traffic otherwise.

If you're staying at Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk that's true. If you're staying at Wilderness Lodge, you have *no way of getting home.* You'd have to leave by the time Epcot closes, click in through the IG, walk the length of the park while dodging fireworks crowds, then hopping a bus back to your resort with those same aforementioned crowds.

Yes, I understand that we're in a world of Uber and Lyft now, but 1) that's a fairly recent development and 2) it's not a viable option for parents with children.

Oh I completely agree that it doesn't really work as a place for kids at night unless they're staying at Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk (or Swan/Dolphin I guess). Even then, there's not much for kids there unless it's one of the movie nights (and they can do that at their own resort). It's really a spot for adults, especially since Jellyrolls is 21 and up.

Prince-1

Obviously you do not understand what an opinion is because everything you just stated is literally your opinion. It’s also obvious that you were not there before Covid because when my family and I stayed there 2-3 a year it was always busy and not with cast member but with guests.

As for places not staying more than a year or two, let’s see….

Flying Fish
ESPN
Big River Grille
Trattoria al Forna
Wyland Galleries

And if you need any more straws to grasp I have a whole bunch in my pantry. Just let me know when I can send them to you.

Last edited:

Prince-1

Well to be fair it hardly had or has shops there. It has the Screen Door General Store, the Wyland Galleries, and the store inside the hotel itself but that was about it. It definitely was not made for shopping.

TP2000

They are picking on this group because they are bored with their regular lives.

They have decided these artists don’t deserve a job, because it doesn’t match what they want to see in their head. And that becomes the modus operandi to try and bring some power and control back to their lives.

It’s really quite sad actually.

I have no earthly idea how you got to that conclusion from the previous comments here.

No one is advocating them losing their job. People just want Disney to maintain the higher standards they once laid out for themselves, especially at their expensive "Deluxe" hotels.

This singing group needs at least a themed backdrop and props, since they appear to be performing in front of a closed storefront; potted plants, boardwalk paraphenalia. The group needs some sort of a wardrobe coordinator, because they just look like 28 year olds going on a weeknight Target run for toothpaste and beer. Do they need full 1930's accurate costumes and wigs? No, but they need something far better looking and more cohesive than what they are wearing.

And what's with the very sloppy stagecraft?!? (This is not entirely the group's fault, it's mostly the fault of the management that allowed this to go forth in front of paying customers at a "Deluxe" property without funding an effective stage manager or appropriate support) I've seen groups performing at hippie streetfairs with better stagecraft and showmanship. They've got their 64 ounce Big Gulps left on speaker boxes, backpacks and more Big Gulps thrown against the wall, sound equipment just plopped there on the ground, etc. And what is with that weird rope thing as their stageline?

If they weren't 30 years old, they look like they could be performing in a high school cafeteria on Student Talent Day.

group.jpg

As you know, DCA's Paradise Garden Grill has a rotating array of different bands and groups that perform at the bandstand there. They all have a different look or cultural vibe. They perform old songs and new songs, modern Disney songs and American classics. It's classy and upscale, fun and relaxed, inspired by "vintage" but part of today.

They don't look like they're running to Target, and they left their Big Gulps backstage. (Photo from our friend and fellow poster, @Mousertainment)

img_0114-sm-wm.jpg

No one wants that acapella group at The Boardwalk to lose their jobs, and no one is trying to transfer their personal frustration with their broken dishwasher or broken marriage to a theme park operation. We just want Disney to put in some extra effort, especially at their most expensive hotels, and live up to the old showmanship standards that Disney themselves created and used to brag about to their customers.

Last edited:

TP2000

The performers seem to be quite good. It's the higher level decisions about the group that don't make sense, especially in a time where all forms of live entertainment in WDW are so limited.

Yup. The performers do have talent. They just have not been given proper support from WDW management for wardrobe, stage management, lighting and tech support, sets/props, and staging.

Someone at least bought them Big Gulps though.

Have you seen a video? Link it, I can't find one!

It wasn't the 1990's, it was 1989. And it was at Disneyland when Splash Mountain opened there.
It was horrific, but oh so good!

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I mean, I kinda get it, but there are far bigger fish to fry. I always assumed that the Boardwalk was meant to look vintage but not that it is actually set in the past.

Also relatively minor, but friends I know have seen Goofy walking around Tower of Terror. Just regular Goofy. THAT is very theme-breaking.
Don't you mean bigger fish to FLY?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I have no earthly idea how you got to that conclusion from the previous comments here.

No one is advocating them losing their job. People just want Disney to maintain the higher standards they once laid out for themselves, especially at their expensive "Deluxe" hotels.

This singing group needs at least a themed backdrop and props, since they appear to be performing in front of a closed storefront; potted plants, boardwalk paraphenalia. The group needs some sort of a wardrobe coordinator, because they just look like 28 year olds going on a weeknight Target run for toothpaste and beer. Do they need full 1930's accurate costumes and wigs? No, but they need something far better looking and more cohesive than what they are wearing.

And what's with the very sloppy stagecraft?!? (This is not entirely the group's fault, it's mostly the fault of the management that allowed this to go forth in front of paying customers at a "Deluxe" property without funding an effective stage manager or appropriate support) I've seen groups performing at hippie streetfairs with better stagecraft and showmanship. They've got their 64 ounce Big Gulps left on speaker boxes, backpacks and more Big Gulps thrown against the wall, sound equipment just plopped there on the ground, etc. And what is with that weird rope thing as their stageline?

If they weren't 30 years old, they look like they could be performing in a high school cafeteria on Student Talent Day.

View attachment 616820

As you know, DCA's Paradise Garden Grill has a rotating array of different bands and groups that perform at the bandstand there. They all have a different look or cultural vibe. They perform old songs and new songs, modern Disney songs and American classics. It's classy and upscale, fun and relaxed, inspired by "vintage" but part of today.

They don't look like they're running to Target, and they left their Big Gulps backstage. (Photo from our friend and fellow poster, @Mousertainment)

img_0114-sm-wm.jpg

No one wants that acapella group at The Boardwalk to lose their jobs, and no one is trying to transfer their personal frustration with their broken dishwasher or broken marriage to a theme park operation. We just want Disney to put in some extra effort, especially at their most expensive hotels, and live up to the old showmanship standards that Disney themselves created and used to brag about to their customers.
I didn’t even notice the 7-11 cups when I was there, now I’m even more bothered! This is supposed to be DELUXE DISNEY RESORT HOTEL. What happened to SHOW?

Muffinpants

I feel like Disney is moving forward. Right now 80s baby's are going to be turning 40 soon. This is who they wanna market to. I see zero issue with this band performing. I would 100% be ok with a more updated entertainment here.

The era this was originally for is long gone and not even a thought to most people. Disney will not cater to the 70+ crowd the original theme was meant to.

Street clothes are perfectly fine to me if they are good.

Tldr: time to move on with the times pretending to be back in this era is no longer a fun and exciting experience.

Muffinpants

I didn’t even notice the 7-11 cups when I was there, now I’m even more bothered! This is supposed to be DELUXE DISNEY RESORT HOTEL. What happened to SHOW?
No it's a board walk area show.. go inside the resort if you want theme. Man I am really curious what age group everyone is that is complaining.. kinda getting silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom