Theme breaking entertainment added to Disney’s Boardwalk

JMcMahonEsq

Are we also going to get up in arms about the outdoor movies the boardwalk plays on the inflatable outdoor screen? Doesn’t seem turn of the century to me and it’s right out there for anyone to see!

Epcot82Guy

I agree that the theme is loose whether it's set in the 30s or is modern day with a hotel harkening back to the 30's. However, this is UNTHEMED entertainment. So, it doesn't fit Disney at all or the atmosphere their resorts are intended to create. If they were a flash mob that suddenly formed to sing and then dispersed, maybe. (And they should pop up at various places vs. a roped off area.) Just singing Disney songs in casual street clothes does not a story make, as much as others think it does.

Tom Morrow

I mean, I kinda get it, but there are far bigger fish to fry. I always assumed that the Boardwalk was meant to look vintage but not that it is actually set in the past.

Also relatively minor, but friends I know have seen Goofy walking around Tower of Terror. Just regular Goofy. THAT is very theme-breaking.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I mean, I kinda get it, but there are far bigger fish to fry. I always assumed that the Boardwalk was meant to look vintage but not that it is actually set in the past.

Also relatively minor, but friends I know have seen Goofy walking around Tower of Terror. Just regular Goofy. THAT is very theme-breaking.
If Goofy was accidentally sent back in time, it would explain a lot about what happened to the Hollywood Tower.

matt9112

They are picking on this group because they are bored with their regular lives.

They have decided these artists don’t deserve a job, because it doesn’t match what they want to see in their head. And that becomes the modus operandi to try and bring some power and control back to their lives.

It’s really quite sad actually.

Its not that hard to match when your in a group.

CntrlFlPete

Maybe it's because I'm from the Northeast, but the Boardwalk to me has always come across as extremely lightly themed. It's basically a hotel-themed hotel as far as I'm concerned. The only theming element is the construction material used to make the ground you're walking on, i.e. if it wasn't a walk-made-of-boards, you wouldn't know you were on a boardwalk to begin with. That could be why this doesn't bother me. The DJ on Main Street bothered me, and if they stuck these guys in Harambe or Batuu it would bother me. But "various types of musical performers" don't feel out of place in that location whatsoever.

They use this ALL THE TIME, everywhere across property.

Sergio in Epcot, for example

View attachment 616673

yes, I mentioned a rope would look more authentic -- I've been to many places w/ street performers -- mimes often use a rope, that is what Sergio is using, it is not a rope light, heck, after a day at Disney, folks understand tape, I would find any of those options less offensive -- not biggie, just my opinion anyway.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No i want to see you defend this.
You mean like how I defended the new costumes of Voice of Liberty?

Indeed. The men look like they're about to take your Applebee's order, and the women look like they're bridesmaids in a wedding in which the bride is making sure she's the only one that looks good.

Also, with the exception of the one woman with the darker blue (they don't match with one another!!), none of the blues or reds match the hue and saturation of the U.S. flag. 🙄

If you're at war with me thinking I'm an uncritical pixie duster, you're going to continually lose and look like a fool because I've got plenty of critical comments about Disney on record here.

You really need to break out of your black and white attitude of thinking someone's eithere all in our all out. That's not how the real world works.

Casper Gutman

You mean like how I defended the new costumes of Voice of Liberty?

If you're at war with me thinking I'm an uncritical pixie duster, you're going to continually lose and look like a fool because I've got plenty of critical comments about Disney on record here.

You really need to break out of your black and white attitude of thinking someone's eithere all in our all out. That's not how the real world works.
You downplayed and obfuscated the ongoing Uyghur genocide in order to defend Disney.

Incomudro

Already posted in another thread but feel this needs it’s own. Tonight at the Boardwalk part of the entertainment offerings included an a capella group singing modern Disney songs. They appear to be third party wearing regular street clothes. Nothing was done to make their songs or wardrobe fit the highly themed surroundings. It’s just an inexplicable decision and totally breaks the themed area Disney is always so proud to boast about. We need to speak up about these decisions and tell them we expect better from this brand.

guest.services@disneyworld.com

View attachment 616609
This is terrible, and doesn't belong there.

UNCgolf

Maybe it's because I'm from the Northeast, but the Boardwalk to me has always come across as extremely lightly themed. It's basically a hotel-themed hotel as far as I'm concerned. The only theming element is the construction material used to make the ground you're walking on, i.e. if it wasn't a walk-made-of-boards, you wouldn't know you were on a boardwalk to begin with. That could be why this doesn't bother me. The DJ on Main Street bothered me, and if they stuck these guys in Harambe or Batuu it would bother me. But "various types of musical performers" don't feel out of place in that location whatsoever.

It used to be more highly themed -- see Seashore Sweets compared to what exists now. It's part of the same general decline in theme that's been going on at Disney for the past decade or so.

With that said, it never fully committed to the early 20th century theme across all locations even when it was new.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
It used to be more highly themed -- see Seashore Sweets compared to what exists now. It's part of the same general decline in theme that's been going on at Disney for the past decade or so.

With that said, it never fully committed to the early 20th century theme across all locations even when it was new.
It’s sad they destroyed seashore sweets to make the generic looking ample hills. I think everything to the left of trattoria needs reworked. Combine the bakery and ice cream shop into one well laid out space, that bakery is far too small for its volume, and then update ESPNs interior or new concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom