Theme breaking entertainment added to Disney’s Boardwalk

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I vote minor issue, the theme of the Boardwalk is... a beach Boardwalk. So I guess the problem would be the " time" period. They would definitely fit in on today's Atlantic city or Ocean City Boardwalk. Now if they were in "turn of the century" costumes they may seem off singing hip-hop Disney tunes.
If anything I'll say they could be more uniform.
I think they were simply catering to a younger, hipper audience.
Who is the “younger, hipper audience” borrowing the money from to pay those prices?

ToTBellHop

I get that…but the point was that those types of boardwalks are indicative of the east coast.

eisner was an New Yorker who loved the east coast (make sense now?)
Iger was a New Yorker who wouldn’t leave Bel Air (make sense now?)

chapek is a weasel that crawled out of the burning river in Cleveland or something

That’s for when they do the Canal Street DVC villas
When you think of it, $249/point will be a steal to have exclusive access to all those “designer” handbags.

Sandurz

Was curious what this would be since they did do the DJ on Main Street in the last few months but the minute I saw that this was about something at one of the resorts, you lost me. I wouldn't even give this a second thought if I walked past in person.

vikescaper

Since it is at a resort and not a park, I’m fine with this. Now if it was a band playing swing music in Future World (oops, I mean World Celebration, World Nature and World Discovery) then I would take issue.

dreday3

To me, this feels a lot like the Splash Mountain Rap commercial from the 90's. In the future, this will be looked back upon and mocked due to its awkwardness and how far off theme it is. In my opinion, it is bad show.

Have you seen a video? Link it, I can't find one!

ToTBellHop

Are these what we call “street clothes”? Maybe I‘m just not “street” enough. Then again, this is a resort in Jersey. Maybe if we are lucky, they’ll add a burlesque show with a back room akin to the Adventurer’s Club where guests are empowered to fulfill their dreams of joining the Mob. They can make it more Disney by having the brute who helps people swim with the fishes named “Bruno”.
1643207827928.jpeg

eliza61nyc

Are these what we call “street clothes”? Maybe I‘m just not “street” enough. Then again, this is a resort in Jersey. Maybe if we are lucky, they’ll add a burlesque show with a back room akin to the Adventurer’s Club where guests are empowered to fulfill their dreams of joining the Mob. They can make it more Disney by having the brute who helps people swim with the fishes named “Bruno”.
View attachment 616676
Lol you guys are old. The Boardwalk at AC is bit like 42nd Street times Square, the old days of burlesque shows and peep shows are far and few between. It's been sanitized. Lol you're more inclined to guest trying to get directions to the Ralph Lauren poll outlet mall or senior bus trips 🤣

ToTBellHop

Lol you guys are old. The Boardwalk at AC is bit like 42nd Street times Square, the old days of burlesque shows and peep shows are far and few between. It's been sanitized. Lol you're more inclined to guest trying to get directions to the Ralph Lauren poll outlet mall or senior bus trips 🤣
I’m going full 1930s. Disney needs to transport me to a world I can’t visit!

FerretAfros

I could be mistaken, but this appears to be the same group that was performing during the Marathon a few weeks ago, immediately after exiting Dinorama, around mile 17.

When I ran by, they were singing "Magic Happens," the theme song from the parade at DL, which stood out to me for a few reasons:
  1. Music from the parks is rarely performed outside of its original setting
  2. The parade only ran for 2 weeks on the opposite side of the country, so it was unlikely many runners would recognize the song
  3. It was bound to fuel baseless rumors about the parade coming to WDW (it's not)
  4. The group must have been a Disney group, but didn't appear to be one that I recognized (like Voices of Liberty)
Outside groups (high school marching bands, DJs, kite teams, etc.) often perform at runDisney events, so it wouldn't have been unusual for a non-Disney group to perform in this location. Yet this unknown Disney group showed up instead. And with their matching white pants and coordinating jewel-tone jackets, they seem to have been somehow related to the 50th, though the connection was far from clear when running past.

Due to their location immediately after leaving the onstage area of the park and somewhat obscured by containers, there don't seem to be many photos or videos showing them during the race. Even in bioreconstruct's aerial photos of the course through DAK have them just out of frame. I found a few videos where they can be heard singing pop songs like Uptown Funk, and they can be seen around 28:20 in the video below singing The Lion Sleeps Tonight (which I suppose fits the location). In general, there doesn't seem to be a particular theme to the types of songs they performed.

Oddly, for a one-off event where they were located backstage next to literal dumpsters and storage containers, they had matching outfits that clearly indicated they were a professional music group. Yet for (presumably) regular performances onstage, they look like they're just wearing whatever clothes they had on that day, and could be random guests who started singing. The group already has costumes; why aren't they wearing them?

The performers seem to be quite good. It's the higher level decisions about the group that don't make sense, especially in a time where all forms of live entertainment in WDW are so limited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom