The Yankee Trader closing for refurbishment - is a dedicated Haunted Mansion gift shop coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are talking about it... What is up with the old canoe and keel boat dock buildings? Seems like they could be used for something...They are odd sort of relics left behind... I am surprised they never enclosed and remodeled them to creat an actual shop that is closer and related to the Mansion...
Hi, former maid here!! I can't speak for the old canoe dock, but the keelboat building is used to store inventory for the Yankee Trader, and the queue is sometimes used at the mansion if the line gets insanely long. They wouldn't be a good fit as a gift shop because they are on the entrance side, not the exit. It would definitely mess up the flow of traffic.

Hi everyone! Speaking as a former maid, the Yankee Trader is definitely becoming a HM gift shop, just in case there was still a question about that being true. As for the on ride photo/video thing I have heard about a video during the Hitchhiking ghosts scene from a friend who worked in Photopass. Not really sure how it would work, but I definitely question what would happen if the Hitchhiking Ghosts were 101, which happens frequently. She also told me they are looking to make HM a permanent spot for Photopass photographers at the exit of the ride, which they had already started testing when I left. I think because they have guests buying Memory Maker now, they started getting complaints that there weren't enough photographers around the parks, which is something they are trying to remedy. They also kinda got themselves into that mess because they advertise with all of these pictures taken in places where they don't actually put photographers on a regular basis.
Also, someone suggested they had the cameras in there already and they've just been sitting there. Not true.

elchippo

I just realized....what will become of Leota's Wagon with this happening? Or has that disappeared already? I guess with a re-paint it could always go in Storybook Circus.

dstrawn9889

i would think they would keep it as well, since not everybody will want to go into a store, but you can easily see merchandise on a cart from the pathway

MissM

I just realized....what will become of Leota's Wagon with this happening? Or has that disappeared already? I guess with a re-paint it could always go in Storybook Circus.
I haven't seen the wagon in months. Jeez, maybe last year some time? I can't even recall the last time I saw it.

The wagon hasn't been there for quite some time, and will probably not return. It used to be right where Kingdom Crossing is now, so it would definitely be in the way of the walkway.

Magenta Panther

Related to HM merchandise....

I'm not 100% sure if this is new or not, but I've never seen it before: A Madame Leota tombstone car antenna topper!

uoF-KzL7vFc3zkPT0GcNiqFnm2h0Co5CJeuIMMqnz7s=w763-h1023-no

This is just a quick cell phone pic of it sitting on my desk but you get the idea. :)

I saw it in the Emporium Saturday night. The Halloween items are starting to go out and there were just a bare few Haunted Mansion items so far (none of the new line of items yet) and this was one of them. (There was also a Hitchhiking Ghost topper but I've seen that one before.) I had to snag it. It's actually really nicely sculpted with quite a bit of detail for being a foam topper.

Okay, that does NOT look like the Leota face on the tombstone. It looks more like George Washington! :p

Magenta Panther

That store is going to be EXTREMELY popular! Could be a real complement to the attraction, reminiscent of Ollivander's at Potterland. I wonder if we'll hear Leota's voice within the shop, and maybe see some added spookery with lightning effects and so on. I hope TDO goes all out on this. And the merch looks great. I honestly don't have a lot of Disney stuff - a few t-shirts and mugs and a watch - but I'm definitely interested in those new HM goodies.

Maelstrom Troll

Good luck to all the gals who will be trying to get the D&B HM bags. I tried so hard to get the last edition for my wife and had no luck even though I scoured the website, called, and had friends look for me. It seems that quite a few people buy them just to sell them at twice the price on Ebay. Hopefully, this time we will have better luck.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Good luck to all the gals who will be trying to get the D&B HM bags. I tried so hard to get the last edition for my wife and had no luck even though I scoured the website, called, and had friends look for me. It seems that quite a few people buy them just to sell them at twice the price on Ebay. Hopefully, this time we will have better luck.

This time they aren't limited additions so hopefully after the first big rush we should be able to get them.

MissM

I wonder if most people know what "mori" means? Granted, I'm glad they are going with a sophisticated name. That's a pleasant surprise.
To be honest, I wasn't sure. So I googled it. For those curious:

Memento mori (Latin 'remember that you will die'), or also memento mortis, “remember death”, is the Latin medieval designation of the theory and practice of the reflection on mortality, especially as a means of considering the vanity of earthly life and the transient nature of all earthly goods and pursuits. Memento mori has been an important part of ascetic disciplines as a means of perfecting the character, by cultivating detachment and other virtues, and turning the attention towards the immortality of the soul and the afterlife.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_mori

I must say there is great irony in using a phrase which is meant to show material things are fleeting on a gift shop. :D

Mike S

To be honest, I wasn't sure. So I googled it. For those curious:

Memento mori (Latin 'remember that you will die'), or also memento mortis, “remember death”, is the Latin medieval designation of the theory and practice of the reflection on mortality, especially as a means of considering the vanity of earthly life and the transient nature of all earthly goods and pursuits. Memento mori has been an important part of ascetic disciplines as a means of perfecting the character, by cultivating detachment and other virtues, and turning the attention towards the immortality of the soul and the afterlife.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_mori

I must say there is great irony in using a phrase which is meant to show material things are fleeting on a gift shop. :D
Holy crap that's dark. But it's only fitting for something like the Haunted Mansion :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom