Pre-Trip The worlds on fire, let’s go to Disney World trip

I first started stalking this page as my unofficial travel agent in 2010. Over the years I’ve ghosted it whenever a Disney trip felt too far from a reality. But, I’m back for a new trip.

Cast:
Your humble author: 41 year old male (7th trip as an adult + 3 as a kid)
DW: 42 year old female (7th trip as an adult)
DS: 16 years old ( 7th trip)
DD1: 13 years old (7th trip)
DD2: 9 years old (5th trip)

Joining our usual cast of character is my brother- 32 years old. It will be his first trip since he was 5.

Particulars:
- Pop Century (2 rooms)
- 7 days / 6 nights
- No park hopping
- Driving in from Atlanta, the day before, and sleeping off property that night.

Miscellaneous:
-First trip to Disney since 2018. First stay above a couple days since 2016.
- We love Pop, but this will be our 3rd stay there, but first since 2013.
- Only dining ressies are returning favorites for us- Sci-fi and Whispering Canyon and new to us, Wine Bar George.
- New to us- Galaxy’s edge, toy story land, Pandora, Mickey / Minnie railroad (RIP great movie ride), skyliners, and all Covid protocols.

I’ll be leveraging this thread to get info on a wide array of topics, but specifically areas i mentioned in the new to us bullet. I’m the planner of the group, but I’ve lost a fair amount of muscle memory with this last gap in visits, to say nothing of Covid.
Thanks in advance.

Loco_driver

You see, my family is setting me up for failure. No one mentioned seat size. I’m 6’6 and 250 pounds. Thanks for the get out of jail free card.
I meant to add earlier to also watch out for flight of passage in Pandora. The leg restraints are very tough on tall people. I had trouble getting my legs far enough under the “ledge” for lack of a better word, which made it hard for the leg restraints to close. I did manage to slide them far enough under to get the restraint to close, but it was a little uncomfortable. It’s got to be one of the most ridiculous and unnecessary seat deigns I’ve ever seen, but I feel that way about most of pandora lol. Many people seem to love that attraction and land though, so what do I know.

jharvey

Original Poster
I meant to add earlier to also watch out for flight of passage in Pandora. The leg restraints are very tough on tall people. I had trouble getting my legs far enough under the “ledge” for lack of a better word, which made it hard for the leg restraints to close. I did manage to slide them far enough under to get the restraint to close, but it was a little uncomfortable. It’s got to be one of the most ridiculous and unnecessary seat deigns I’ve ever seen, but I feel that way about most of pandora lol. Many people seem to love that attraction and land though, so what do I know.
I spent years following the design of that land and I was worried that I would not be able to fit- due to weight. I’ve lost a backstreet boy in weight so I thought I was in the clear... Being tall is no fun some times.

Loco_driver

I spent years following the design of that land and I was worried that I would not be able to fit- due to weight. I’ve lost a backstreet boy in weight so I thought I was in the clear... Being tall is no fun some times.
There have been issues related to the back restraints being hard on larger people. I weigh more than you and I am an inch shorter. I had no problem with the back restraint, just the legs. From what I’ve read it looks like anyone over about 6’ 3” struggles with that.

Being tall can be inconvenient sometimes. But just think of all the cool stuff you can do! Change light bulbs without a ladder, get stuff off the top shelf at the grocery store for short people, look at the top of everyone else’s head, the list goes on! 🤣🤣🤣

Songbird76

You see, my family is setting me up for failure. No one mentioned seat size. I’m 6’6 and 250 pounds. Thanks for the get out of jail free card.
My brother did it and he's 6'4" and about 500 lbs. He didn't fit in FOP. He was kind of upset on 7DMT when they put a single rider in with him when he barely fit himself. I remember when I got in wondering if he was going to fit because even -I- felt cramped and I'm half his size!

littleroo

My oldest is tall and fluffy. He didn't make it on Hagrids and barely fit on FOP. I know he was very frustrated and embarrassed but I reminded me of the things he can do that average size people can't do. My husband also finds Space Mountain challenging.

BwlrBry212

I’m a borderline boomer or I would find a Michael Scott meme to share
Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by The Office

Got you covered!

jharvey

Original Poster
My oldest is tall and fluffy. He didn't make it on Hagrids and barely fit on FOP. I know he was very frustrated and embarrassed but I reminded me of the things he can do that average size people can't do. My husband also finds Space Mountain challenging.
Being tall is awesome, and so is being fluffy. I was as fat as bear for 39 years. Got tired of getting winded from thinking too hard. Long story short, remind your boy thicc is a thing and it’s in.
I will ride space mountain at gun point only. I’ve never ridden and will never ride. I cannot emphasize this enough, I am a coward.

jharvey

Original Poster
Day 2: Animal Kingdom (Sunday)
Park Hours: 8am-7pm

A few points. First, we’ve always done breakfast at the resort. I love, absolutely love, the potatoes at Disney resorts. But for this trip, sans fastpass, we are doing pop tarts, etc in the room, then getting to it on 8am open days.
- I/ we love animal Kingdom. That said, in all of our previous trips, when sacrifices needed to be made, it was always Animal that took the cut.

So, we will do the same as day 1, and get to the bus stop as close to 6:30am as possible.

Top priority is identical to several thousand of my closest friends- Flight of passage. We’ve obsessed over Pandora since 2011 (I think) when they first mentioned the deal. Our trips never lined up to allow us to partake. I am a Star Wars obsessive. But Pandora is my top must do for the trip.
After FOP and NRJ, we will be Kilimanjaro bound.
-After that, we separate. I will rely on my 9 year old to act as my beard to get me out of riding Everest. Ella and I will snack while the other 4 take their lives into their hands. Jokes on them, I’m carrying policies on 3 of them.
- Because I trend towards masochism, I aim to do Kali as our last attraction prior to lunch. We love it, and I don’t care, let’s roll.
- Lunch at Satu’li canteen. Not lying, if FOP is my top must do new thing for this trip, Satu’li is top 5ish.
- this is where I’m thinking of falling back into my old touring habits. I have planned a 2 hour midday break. We are not swimming folk. In the past, midday break meant nap time. My 13 year old is a judgmental little cuss, and is trying to guilt me into skipping this.
- when we get back, I plan to hit one of my top 20 favorite Disney attractions- it’s tough to be a bug. Don’t judge, I love it.
- then it’s a lot of wandering around. Dinosaur will be the only thing I’m thinking would be a priority after our return.
- my last objective, for the night, is to wander Pandora at night. I’d love to ride FOP once more at the end of the night if possible.

- My family loves Disney Springs, so we are aiming to eat there. At park close I’m thinking we catch a bus that is convenient to Disney Springs. Ideally, in a non-coco world, that would mean a bus trip to POR then catching a boat to Disney Springs. So, that’s my big ask for this day-

Ive already gotten some good suggestions for food options in DS. If I refuse to drive it, or ride share, what would be your quickest way to get from AK to Disney Springs at park close?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member

A few points. First, we’ve always done breakfast at the resort. I love, absolutely love, the potatoes at Disney resorts. But for this trip, sans fastpass, we are doing pop tarts, etc in the room, then getting to it on 8am open days.
- I/ we love animal Kingdom. That said, in all of our previous trips, when sacrifices needed to be made, it was always Animal that took the cut.

So, we will do the same as day 1, and get to the bus stop as close to 6:30am as possible.

Top priority is identical to several thousand of my closest friends- Flight of passage. We’ve obsessed over Pandora since 2011 (I think) when they first mentioned the deal. Our trips never lined up to allow us to partake. I am a Star Wars obsessive. But Pandora is my top must do for the trip.
-After that, we separate. I will rely on my 9 year old to act as my beard to get me out of riding Everest. Ella and I will snack while the other 4 take their lives into their hands. Jokes on them, I’m carrying policies on 3 of them.
- Because I trend towards masochism, I aim to do Kali as our last attraction prior to lunch. We love it, and I don’t care, let’s roll.
- Lunch at Satu’li canteen. Not lying, if FOP is my top must do new thing for this trip, Satu’li is top 5ish.
- this is where I’m thinking of falling back into my old touring habits. I have planned a 2 hour midday break. We are not swimming folk. In the past, midday break meant nap time. My 13 year old is a judgmental little cuss, and is trying to guilt me into skipping this.
- when we get back, I plan to hit one of my top 20 favorite Disney attractions- it’s tough to be a bug. Don’t judge, I love it.
- then it’s a lot of wandering around. I’m thinking Dinosaur will be the only thing I’m thinking would be a priority after our return.
- my last objective, for the night, is to wander Pandora at night. I’d love to ride FOP once more at the end of the night if possible.

- My family loves Disney Springs, so we are aiming to eat there. At park close I’m thinking we catch a bus that is convenient to Disney Springs. Ideally, in a non-coco world, that would mean a bus trip to POR then catching a boat to Disney Springs. So, that’s my big ask for this day-

Ive already gotten some good suggestions for food options in DS. If I refuse to drive it, or ride share, what would be your quickest way to get from AK to Disney Springs at park close?
A bus would be your only option.

littleroo

Being tall is awesome, and so is being fluffy. I was as fat as bear for 39 years. Got tired of getting winded from thinking too hard. Long story short, remind your boy thicc is a thing and it’s in.
I will ride space mountain at gun point only. I’ve never ridden and will never ride. I cannot emphasize this enough, I am a coward.
How do I like and love at the same time!! Thank you!!

Songbird76

- then it’s a lot of wandering around. Dinosaur will be the only thing I’m thinking would be a priority after our return.

Do you know what time the park closes? Will it be dark yet by that time? I thought the parks were closing relatively early at the moment. We never got to see Pandora at night on out last trip, and that was one of the things I really wanted to do, but our first AK day, I had scheduled a fastpass for the safari at something like 8pm, but got an email a few weeks before that there was an extra ticketed event that night and my fastpass had been changed because the park would be closed except for the special event ticket holders. For our 2nd AK day, I had bought tickets for Hoop-Dee-Doo, so we had to leave the park early to get to Fort Wilderness. So we never got to be in AK after dark. Plus, after our first AK day, my son refused to set food back in AK ever again, so he stayed at the resort when we went to AK, and we couldn't leave him alone ALL day, even if we had been able to get in after dark. Next trip, I guess.

jharvey

Original Poster
Do you know what time the park closes? Will it be dark yet by that time? I thought the parks were closing relatively early at the moment. We never got to see Pandora at night on out last trip, and that was one of the things I really wanted to do, but our first AK day, I had scheduled a fastpass for the safari at something like 8pm, but got an email a few weeks before that there was an extra ticketed event that night and my fastpass had been changed because the park would be closed except for the special event ticket holders. For our 2nd AK day, I had bought tickets for Hoop-Dee-Doo, so we had to leave the park early to get to Fort Wilderness. So we never got to be in AK after dark. Plus, after our first AK day, my son refused to set food back in AK ever again, so he stayed at the resort when we went to AK, and we couldn't leave him alone ALL day, even if we had been able to get in after dark. Next trip, I guess.
Closes at 7pm, and with the time change, I’m sure it will not be pitch black, but they typically let you wonder for up to an hour after close. I’ll take advantage of their kindness as this is our only AK day of the trip.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Shhhhh....
Take a Saratoga Springs bus. Get off at the Congress Park stop. Walk the little pathway all the way to your left and cross the bridge into DS.

littleroo

I know this is not a really popular method in these sights but we use uber xl for a family of 5 a good bit when we are vacationing. It is very reasonable and fast! From Universal to the airport it was 30 dollars plus tip. Very hassle free in my opinion and worth the money!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom