The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Cmdr_Crimson

Has there been any updates on what they are doing with the other icons ToT and Tree of life for the anniversary? Or was it intended just for a projection mapping show? I would still like to see twinkling lights in the Tree of Life giving it a firefly effect during the evenings..

Jambo Dad

The only one that makes absolutely no sense to me is Rocket & Groot. Absolutely 0 history in Walt Disney World. And Why Frozone AND Edna? And Joe Gardener with practically nothing in the parks. Then certain films getting multiple statues. Why them yet leave out park staple characters like Muppets, UP, Bug's Life, Avatar, POTC, Haunted Mansion, or Princess and the Frog?

Just an odd list for something representing Walt Disney World.

Very happy Figment at least is included. As well as Orange Bird. Miracle.
Agree that Edna was enough for incredibles, and that Joe Gardner has no real park connection. rocket and Groot or anticipating the new coaster. your other obesrvations are spot on.

biggest miss - no statue for stargate and the tacos.🤪

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Has there been any updates on what they are doing with the other icons ToT and Tree of life for the anniversary? Or was it intended just for a projection mapping show? I would still like to see twinkling lights in the Tree of Life giving it a firefly effect during the evenings..
Just projection shows.

Dear Prudence

The new statues are pretty cheap looking, but Lady and the Tramp look amazing!!!!! I don't even care for that movie, and I think their sculptures are adorable.

ImperfectPixie

The new statues are pretty cheap looking, but Lady and the Tramp look amazing!!!!! I don't even care for that movie, and I think their sculptures are adorable.
They're *too* precise. Note the comment I made above about the Partners statue and how it has tool marks that make it evident that it was hand sculpted...these look like they could have been spit out by a 3D printer. They're cute and all, but don't have the charm and artistic character a hand-sculpt should have. (And believe me...I get that they're different styles and that in some styles precision is the focus - I tend to be a realist with my art - but for sculptures in a theme park made famous by art, locations, and animations that were primarily made or built by hand, they just don't seem to fit as well as they could.)

Dear Prudence

They're *too* precise. Note the comment I made above about the Partners statue and how it has tool marks that make it evident that it was hand sculpted...these look like they could have been spit out by a 3D printer. They're cute and all, but don't have the charm and artistic character a hand-sculpt should have. (And believe me...I get that they're different styles and that in some styles precision is the focus - I tend to be a realist with my art - but for sculptures in a theme park made famous by art, locations, and animations that were primarily made or built by hand, they just don't seem to fit as well as they could.)
I definitely greatly prefer the bronze ones. The new Chip and Dale have zero personality. The new statues have more exaggerated expressions, but they're soulless. It's too forced.

Cmdr_Crimson

They're definitely not as shiny as the advertised renders, that's for sure.

I mean, Partners looks like its made out of a heavy, solid metal:
View attachment 585806
Now this is what you call shiny gold..But, therein lies the problem of it keeping that chrome shine for 16 months in the Floridian sun and making the plaza a blinding light of shininess..
86bf295e6fdce7110357f547b30530ad.jpg

kevlightyear

Now this is what you call shiny gold..But, therein lies the problem of it keeping that chrome shine for 16 months in the Floridian sun and making the plaza a blinding light of shininess..
Yeah that's *too* shiny. There's a balance to strike, and I think they swung too far in the other direction. I just think it's interesting that the renders don't match the products, as if they waited until they were produced to decide on a finish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom