The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Sir_Cliff

I also think the new Beauty and the Beast ride in Tokyo (while far from perfect) looks significantly better than Rat, although it would be a worse fit than Rat and should go in New Fantasyland if it ever comes to WDW.
Of course it's all subjective, but my impression of both is completely the opposite. While I also prefer physical sets to screens, to me Ratatouille is a good use of screens and trackless vehicles and B&tB looks like a bad use of both. Maybe people who have been on B&tB have a different impression, but Rat actually seems more immersive to me as you are navigating through tight spaces and, with the necessary suspension of disbelief, it creates the sensation of being a mouse running through a kitchen. On B&tB, it appears that you spend what seems like interminable periods twirling through large open rooms with a bunch of other vehicles looking at scenery around the edges of the room while the songs from the film play.

Brenthodge

And wait until you see that parade at night.

The show that they do afterwards is the best show I have ever seen at an amusement park. Cedar Point knocked their 150th Anniversary out of the park. Too bad WDW couldn't do the same.
Yeah, I guess it’s asking too much of a worldwide media conglomerate that has an almost endless catalog of IP and sone of the most creative designers anywhere to actually step up and create something amazing. we’ll just leave that to the regional operators who have to liscense all their IP (so the blissfully don’t use a lot) and really fo nothing but operate theme parks. But hey…GOLD STATUES we can promote and people can post pics of!!!

UNCgolf

Of course it's all subjective, but my impression of both is completely the opposite. While I also prefer physical sets to screens, to me Ratatouille is a good use of screens and trackless vehicles and B&tB looks like a bad use of both. Maybe people who have been on B&tB have a different impression, but Rat actually seems more immersive to me as you are navigating through tight spaces and, with the necessary suspension of disbelief, it creates the sensation of being a mouse running through a kitchen. On B&tB, it appears that you spend what seems like interminable periods twirling through large open rooms with a bunch of other vehicles looking at scenery around the edges of the room while the songs from the film play.

I think BatB is absolutely a bad use of trackless vehicles (which is why I said it's far from perfect), and the winter scene is terrible. But the Be Our Guest scene and the ballroom as physical spaces look much better than anything in Rat to me -- the physical space I'm inhabiting is usually the most important part of a ride to me, which is why I like Navi River Journey so much more than other people, and why screens do almost nothing for me. The actual physical sensation of moving around in a ride is minor to me. Rat is helped by having some physical props/sets, but you mostly whirl past them to watch the next scene on a screen.

If a ride consists almost entirely of watching something happen on a screen, it's never going to feel very immersive to me. I don't know if that's a result of playing a ton of video games in my life (especially when I was younger) or what, but since I don't care much about the physical sensation, it usually feels like I could get most of the experience just watching it at home. I even feel that way about Flight of Passage to an extent, which is why I don't like it as much as others -- I still enjoy it, though. It's also why Shanghai Pirates has never looked all that great to me.

trainplane3

Honestly I’m embarrassed for Disney that they are being shown up by cedar point in the anniversary parade competition.

Yep. That was a preview. The parade is ran at night and looks great. The rollerbladers on the coaster float are so much fun to watch. They do a oval loop on the float while a few launch off the ramp and skate through the parade.

So much movement, crowd interaction, and just pure fun. The parade stop is cute too.

The celebration at the end of the night is fun too:

Oh, and they park the floats in the midway after the show so you can really look at them. Might toss up a few pictures of those if people are interested.

It felt like a party. Everyone was having a blast. The giveaways in the park were nice. This is probably the closest feeling of "Year of a Million Dreams" I've gotten since then.

Oh and while there's still time for Disney to announce it, they had their own unique song just for the 150th.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I think BatB is absolutely a bad use of trackless vehicles (which is why I said it's far from perfect), and the winter scene is terrible. But the Be Our Guest scene and the ballroom as physical spaces look much better than anything in Rat to me -- the physical space I'm inhabiting is usually the most important part of a ride to me, which is why I like Navi River Journey so much more than other people, and why screens do almost nothing for me. The actual physical sensation of moving around in a ride is minor to me. Rat is helped by having some physical props/sets, but you mostly whirl past them to watch the next scene on a screen.

If a ride consists almost entirely of watching something happen on a screen, it's never going to feel very immersive to me. I don't know if that's a result of playing a ton of video games in my life (especially when I was younger) or what, but since I don't care much about the physical sensation, it usually feels like I could get most of the experience just watching it at home. I even feel that way about Flight of Passage to an extent, which is why I don't like it as much as others -- I still enjoy it, though. It's also why Shanghai Pirates has never looked all that great to me.
I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I guess for me the sensation of moving through a physical environment really tips an attraction over the edge for me, and I do find Rat handles that well with the pacing and combination of physical sets and screens. On Rat, I find it very easy to suspend disbelief and enjoy what I find a very fun attraction.

I have a fairly similar feeling to you about Flight of Passage, though. I enjoyed it, but there is something about being essentially stationary in front of a screen that doesn't quite hit me in the same way as attractions where you actually move through physical environments. Maybe this speaks to my lack of an ability to suspend disbelief!

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Having seen BatB and ridden Rat several times I’m glad they didn’t do BatB. Surprisingly perhaps.

I think I'm glad they didn't do it at EPCOT, because Rat is a better overall fit (even if I still don't think it's a great fit and I'd prefer no IP rides at all). I would like them to put it in at New Fantasyland, although I don't expect that to happen. There are also numerous ways they could have made BatB better; I'm certainly not suggesting it's a home run attraction.

And just to clarify -- I don't think Rat is a mistake or anything like that. I'm not suggesting it's actually a bad ride the way I think some others (FEA, TSMM...) are. It just doesn't look like something that's going to move the needle for me personally.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I guess for me the sensation of moving through a physical environment really tips an attraction over the edge for me, and I do find Rat handles that well with the pacing and combination of physical sets and screens. On Rat, I find it very easy to suspend disbelief and enjoy what I find a very fun attraction.

I have a fairly similar feeling to you about Flight of Passage, though. I enjoyed it, but there is something about being essentially stationary in front of a screen that doesn't quite hit me in the same way as attractions where you actually move through physical environments. Maybe this speaks to my lack of an ability to suspend disbelief!

I do want the sensation of moving through the environments (although I'd take a walkthrough of a highly detailed environment over a ride through a sparse one or lack of one entirely). I really meant I don't care so much about any physical thrill. That's not to say I don't enjoy it at times -- e.g. I love the drop on rides like Splash Mountain and Jurassic Park River Adventure, but the drop is supplementary to the ride. It enhances the experience, but it's not why they're great rides; if all the sets, AAs, etc. were removed the drop itself wouldn't be nearly enough to make them worth waiting for.

Roller coasters and other rides that jerk around rapidly tend to give me motion sickness now, so obviously that's a factor, but even when I was younger and that wasn't an issue, the sheer physical thrill of an unthemed roller coaster didn't really interest me. I never got much from that experience; I wanted things to look at and experience beyond the physical thrill.

KIGhostGuy

Yep. That was a preview. The parade is ran at night and looks great. The rollerbladers on the coaster float are so much fun to watch. They do a oval loop on the float while a few launch off the ramp and skate through the parade.

So much movement, crowd interaction, and just pure fun. The parade stop is cute too.

The celebration at the end of the night is fun too:

Oh, and they park the floats in the midway after the show so you can really look at them. Might toss up a few pictures of those if people are interested.

It felt like a party. Everyone was having a blast. The giveaways in the park were nice. This is probably the closest feeling of "Year of a Million Dreams" I've gotten since then.

Oh and while there's still time for Disney to announce it, they had their own unique song just for the 150th.

And don’t forget it’s not solely Entertainment for the 150th. Cedar Point also brought back a defunct attraction with Snake River Expedition. Their Celebration is very focused on capitalizing on the park itself as the brand.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I do want the sensation of moving through the environments (although I'd take a walkthrough of a highly detailed environment over a ride through a sparse one or lack of one entirely). I really meant I don't care so much about any physical thrill. That's not to say I don't enjoy it at times -- e.g. I love the drop on rides like Splash Mountain and Jurassic Park River Adventure, but the drop is supplementary to the ride. It enhances the experience, but it's not why they're great rides; if all the sets, AAs, etc. were removed the drop itself wouldn't be nearly enough to make them worth waiting for.

Roller coasters and other rides that jerk around rapidly tend to give me motion sickness now, so obviously that's a factor, but even when I was younger and that wasn't an issue, the sheer physical thrill of an unthemed roller coaster didn't really interest me. I never got much from that experience; I wanted things to look at and experience beyond the physical thrill.
Why does the subject of "walk-Through" attractions keep coming up? There are none currently and mostly because you are then stuck waiting behind throngs of people who hang out in the space making the line never ending. Walk through attractions just don't work... Which is why Disney used a conveyance system in attractions like The Haunted Mansion and Pirates Of The Caribbean... A Walk-Through attraction doesn't interest me in the least...A well designed dark ride is really what people want...
The park itself is already a sort of "walk Through" attraction...

UNCgolf

Why does the subject of "walk-Through" attractions keep coming up? There are none currently and mostly because you are then stuck waiting behind throngs of people who hang out in the space making the line never ending. Walk through attractions just don't work... Which is why Disney used a conveyance system in attractions like The Haunted Mansion and Pirates Of The Caribbean... A Walk-Through attraction doesn't interest me in the least...A well designed dark ride is really what people want...
The park itself is already a sort of "walk Through" attraction...

That's an oddly specific takeaway from my post that really had nothing to do with walkthrough attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom