The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

UNCgolf

There's 50 statues.

I think there's room for characters that even the fine folks of WDWMagic discussion boards don't approve of. :D

It's 50 characters -- the number of statues they ultimately end up with is unknown but will certainly be less than 50. I know that doesn't affect your point; just pointing it out for anyone who thinks there are going to be 50 statues and thus more than 50 characters because of the doubling.

Disney has such a huge catalog that there are going to be a ton of characters left out and just about everyone is going to have some character (or whole movie, more likely) they wanted to see that isn't represented. I don't see any reason to get upset about it.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

It's 50 characters -- the number of statues they ultimately end up is unknown but will certainly be less than 50. I know that doesn't affect your point; just pointing it out for anyone who thinks there are going to be 50 statues and thus more than 50 characters because of the doubling.

Disney has such a huge catalog that there are going to be a ton of characters left out and just about everyone is going to have some character (or whole movie, more likely) they wanted to see that isn't represented. I don't see any reason to get upset about it.

Why would it be less than 50? Don't they call the one of Walt and Mickey the "Partners Statue"? I would think that two characters in the same connected piece would be considered one statue.

UNCgolf

Why would it be less than 50? Don't they call the one of Walt and Mickey the "Partners Statue"? I would think that two characters in the same connected piece would be considered one statue.

When they reveal the character, they have what is basically an advent calendar of a castle separated into 50 boxes to represent the 50 characters. With each of the dual statues, they've taken up two spaces on the castle (one per character) instead of being grouped together as one entry.

I don't know if Disney has actually confirmed it's 50 characters and not statues, but that's what everything seems to suggest.

DisneyDodo

When they reveal the character, they have what is basically an advent calendar of a castle separated into 50 boxes to represent the 50 characters. With each of the dual statues, they've taken up two spaces on the castle (one per character) instead of being grouped together as one entry.

I don't know if Disney has actually confirmed it's 50 characters and not statues, but that's what everything seems to suggest.
And also, they're calling this the "Disney Fab 50 Character Collection," not "Statue Collection."

DisneyDodo

So.... B-list character chosen for the golden statues... This anniversary is really shaping up to be a gigantic mehhhhhhh. Why couldn't they have spent that money instead for a proper Coco overlay on the Where's Donald attraction in the Mexico pavilion...it would have actually made so much sense.... Can't wait for the golden feather duster and foot stool representing Beauty and the Beast...
I like Dante and have no problem with him and other sidekicks being included per se, but I do wish there were some rhyme or reason to the characters being chosen - whether the 50 most iconic Disney characters, the 50 most prominently featured at WDW, etc. - as opposed to just some arbitrary collection of 50 characters

G00fyDad

now i get it keegan-michael key GIF by The Paley Center for Media

That makes sense now. LOL

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Coco is extremely popular from where I from and I love the Latine representation that it brings to Disney as it’s one of the few films that really has few stereotypes as characters (if at all) however what does Dante have to do with the parks? Literally makes 0 sense and I wish they wouldn’t have used a slot for hin, and that’s coming from someone who has Coco as their number one Pixar film. Like I legitimately own multiple peices of merchandise that either feature Dante or are only Dante
This is just alebrije jealousy talking!!

;)

brb1006

I nominate either Lucifer from Cinderella or Figaro from Pinocchio.

Oh Figaro!!! Yes. He will be our cat representative.

And speaking of Pinocchio - out of all the fairies in the movies, I would love to see The Blue Fairy represented. She gets no love! Move over Tinkerbell... :D
Y'all are sleeping on Marie from The Aristocats as a true contender as a 50th statue. She's one of the few Disney characters from the pre-renaissance era that still gets attention from modern Disney.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Even with the recent news, two months is still enough time for things to improve hopefully. My only concern is how they would handle crowds and especially their new 50th show. Also, now that HEA is ending for good people will want to see it for the last time in the next month or so.

I don't get the logic of requiring people to wear masks indoors and on attractions but allow them to be like sardines in a can in the castle hub and main street outdoors and without masks at night? Will they discontinue fireworks again?

TTA94

Even with the recent news, two months is still enough time for things to improve hopefully. My only concern is how they would handle crowds and especially their new 50th show. Also, now that HEA is ending for good people will want to see it for the last time in the next month or so.

I don't get the logic of requiring people to wear masks indoors and on attractions but allow them to be like sardines in a can in the castle hub and main street outdoors and without masks at night? Will they discontinue fireworks again?

Exactly. If things do not get under control I feel fireworks will end again. Quite honestly it might be just as well for them to cut fireworks for the remainder of the summer, helping reduce the spread, then relaunch the end of September/October.

Squishy

Exactly. If things do not get under control I feel fireworks will end again. Quite honestly it might be just as well for them to cut fireworks for the remainder of the summer, helping reduce the spread, then relaunch the end of September/October.
Things would have to get really bad to end fireworks again, in addition they are returning a projection show to DHS on the 1st of August.

tcool123

Things would have to get really bad to end fireworks again, in addition they are returning a projection show to DHS on the 1st of August.
Id argue the projection show is a better move than fireworks simply because they can run projections throughout the night and hypothetically spread crowds throughout the entire night versus a huge glob of people

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom