The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

MadTeacup

It appears to be a (trained) staffing issue. Starting up, adjusting, and monitoring these laser systems are not trivial tasks. Remember that these lasers are reasonably high powered and can burn a person's skin if aimed incorrectly - that's why they are tested and tuned every time they are powered up for a show.
The only FAA requirement is that they get a call each night before the show(s) - the flight advisory (?) is only filed once per year and is current.
Lastly, I asked an Imagineer about use the laser(s) by more than one show and her reply was that it's just a show controller on the other end of an Ethernet link, and can be used by any show at any time, without any special interface or change of control script.
I'm not sure if the lasers are powerful enough to burn skin considering they don't scorch the paint on the castle. However, you are correct that there is a certain focus height tolerance that exists. It's typically more to ensure that the lasers never point to a human eye. In the VoLM theater there are actually lines painted on the walls where the lasers must not go past. Every morning before park opening, a trained technician must come to test the lasers. If just one of the lasers points below the lines, the whole laser system is shut off until the laser responsible can be refocused. Also, if the daily laser test cannot take place, the lasers will not be used. I imagine there are similar procedures for all other shows featuring lasers. As you mention, one of the current issues with live entertainment is the lack of trained staff.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't get it - how big are these statues? Life size? or are they more of a display on a table somewhere?
1627337975393.png

UNCgolf

I don't get it - how big are these statues? Life size? or are they more of a display on a table somewhere?

Based on the concept art, more the latter than the former.

I don't think they're small, though -- I'd guess they're maybe 2-3 feet tall? Hard to say for sure until we actually see one installed, or at least see one with something else in the image for perspective.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Based on the concept art, more the latter than the former.

I don't think they're small, though -- I'd guess they're maybe 2-3 feet tall? Hard to say for sure until we actually see one installed, or at least see one with something else in the image for perspective.
Like this..?

The "Iridescent Eight" in front of the castle:
Mickey & Minnie
Donald & Daisy
Goofy & Pluto
Chip 'n Dale

Oddly, Mickey will be in that garden twice as he's part of the partners statue.

MadTeacup

They appear to be the same size as the current Hub statues that have existed now for decades, I believe. I think this is a low-key way of eliminating the Br'er Rabbit statue without drawing attention to its removal.

UNCgolf

They appear to be the same size as the current Hub statues that have existed now for decades, I believe. I thing this is a low-key way of eliminating the Br'er Rabbit statue without drawing attention to its removal.

I doubt that. Disney could just remove that overnight at some point and most people wouldn't notice.

Beyond that, the people that would care have to know that statue is almost certainly going to disappear at some point. I don't think Disney is worried about any backlash.

MadTeacup

I doubt that. Disney could just remove that overnight at some point and most people wouldn't notice.

Beyond that, the people that would care have to know that statue is almost certainly going to disappear at some point. I don't think Disney is worried about any backlash.
I'm not saying the whole project is based around it. I AM saying that I expect the new statues in the HUB to be a permanent replacement to what is there and a clever way of removing Br'er Rabbit without that character being singled out. The fact that these "Additions" will draw less attention to Br'er Rabbit's removal is a win for the company.

Nmoody1

What a gigantic "so what!!"
Small shiny statuettes around the 4 parks...
That money would have been better spent on creating the Main Street Magical Windows like Disneyland has...
Or a new attraction...
Or painting the castle back to it's normal color.
It's the most value engineered and lackluster 50th Celebration ever!
You can sell the statues after the celebration though and make $$$

tcool123

Video for Edna Mode statue announcement -

So far this is has been the biggest let down for a statue for the lineup in terms of announcements. Lumiere and Cogsworth are fine representations for New Fantasyland or Sunset Boulevard, Timon & Pumba are a perfect fit for Animal Kingdom representation, Pooh and Piglet are fine representations for Fantasyland. But Edna? Her "attraction" hasn't even been open since reopening, but if she was placed at Contemporary given the new rooms I suppose it would be a stretch but it would fit 🤷‍♂️

Figments Friend

Gonna be a huge crowd there on the 1st, methinks.
Hoo boy....can't wait for the fun!
✨

Remember kids, BRING YOUR OWN FOOD with you!
Smuggle in as many snacks as you can.
The lines for food and even mobile pick up will likely be insane, and the added chaos will make it a must.
You can thank me for the tip when it's all over.

😎

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom