The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Haymarket2008

So what attractions are getting the proper 50th treatment?

- Jungle Cruise (Reimagining)
- The Hall of Presidents (Biden AA)
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel (Gold leaf additions)

That is all I can think of.....

I'm really disappointed they have yet to move forward with the no-brainers:
Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peter Pan, Tiki Room, Country Bears, Big Thunder, Carousel of Progress, etc.

Mainly minor refreshes and touch ups of note and a small amount of truly major overhauls.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The issue with Slinky's footprint isn't its size; it's the fact that it is the only thing occupying its footprint. IMO, the answer to DHS's lack of B/C tickets is to give TSL a huge flat ride package. A Critter Carousel, reskinned TriceraTop Spin, and a Flik's Flyers/Emotional Whirlwind reskin all throughout the rides course. Put one inside the first turn after the launch, one in the u-turn after the helix, and one in the turn after the second launch. Increases DHS ride count by ~33% and fills a big hole in the current line up.
They could just pickup the third dumbo ride at MK Magic Carpets of Aladdin and move it to DHS and I don’t think anyone would even notice.

Bonnie’s Flying Play Mats.

Magic Feather

Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peter Pan, Tiki Room, Country Bears, Big Thunder, Carousel of Progress, etc.

Mainly minor refreshes and touch ups of note and a small amount of truly major overhauls.
Some of those no brainers will still be done in a rolling fashion throughout the anniversary.
One of the big shifts is the anniversary being a rolling excel ration with openings instead of everything open by Oct 1st so Let’s celebrate!

The Rocketeer

It would have been nice if they had packed TSL with a lot of smaller attractions like the parachute drop, The Half pipe coaster thing and a real honest to goodness Pizza Planet restaurant...in addition to what they currently have... They just don't go far enough...
Even Pandora...Needs one more attraction... Everything feels like the bare minimum...
You're absolutely right. Pandora has a lot of potential for a third attraction.

RSoxNo1

From what I've seen online, Orlando's Toy Story Land is somewhat better than the TSL/TSPLs in Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai, though it could use a lot of improvement. The main problem, aside from the lack of any shade, is that it is overhyped. It's a decent supporting land, but it's being stretched as one of the main draws of the park and clearly wasn't designed to get the wait times that it does. It should've been the last addition of the overhaul of the park, not the first but... it would've been cancelled just like the mini Cars Land/Radiator Springs Racers or the Monster's Inc door coaster or whatever they were going to add after Galaxy's Edge before they apparently just gave up.
Toy Story Land is probably the best, "cheap" themed land/mini-Land in WDW (Comparing it to Storybook Circus and Dinorama). It's certainly not without it's flaws, but it's fine for what it is.

RSoxNo1

Au contraire:View attachment 548744
Red Boxes are locations where a path could cross under the track with enough clearance to access the pads (provided that some kind of cover is placed above guests for safety purposes. With the exception of brief closures of Slinky to accommodate the parts of construction that would get pretty close to the track, it could be done without modifying Slinky or closing it. Now: will this happen? Probably no chance. But it's cool to think about the kinetic potential.
Agreed, it needed at least another B-ticket type attraction or my personal push, a Speedway type attraction.

If I was calling the shots for DHS, it would have made more sense to better utilize the Slinky Dog space to get 4-5 attractions on the same footprint, put Mickey and Minnie's in Animation Courtyard and give GMR a proper refurb. That would have given the park 11-12 rides instead of 9.

RSoxNo1

Did Disney announce Carrousel updates?

DoleWhipDrea

Does adding yet another Dumbo-style attraction truly help capacity if guests see that it’s just a knock-off of what they would want to ride in MK, though? IMHO I would think there’s a significant percentage of guests skip it because it’s not actually Dumbo (I’ll add Astro Orbiter in there too due to the novelty of being up so much higher.)

What these parks really need are quality dark rides that keep guests cool and out of the heat and the rain.

Squishy

Does adding yet another Dumbo-style attraction truly help capacity if guests see that it’s just a knock-off of what they would want to ride in MK, though? IMHO I would think there’s a significant percentage of guests skip it because it’s not actually Dumbo (I’ll add Astro Orbiter in there too due to the novelty of being up so much higher.)

What these parks really need are quality dark rides that keep guests cool and out of the heat and the rain.
I'm surprised they haven't rethemed Astro Orbiter to Incredibles or some other IP yet...

UNCgolf

Toy Story Land is probably the best, "cheap" themed land/mini-Land in WDW (Comparing it to Storybook Circus and Dinorama). It's certainly not without it's flaws, but it's fine for what it is.

Maybe it's better than Storybook Circus (an incredibly low bar to clear)? I don't think it's better than Dinorama as a whole concept (Slinky Dog Dash is certainly a better attraction than anything in Dinorama). I don't like Dinorama at all, but it at least has a clear theme and story. Toy Story Land is essentially just a bunch of scattered props. The other problem is that TSL isn't supposed to be comparable to either of them at WDW. It was supposed to be a major addition to the park -- at least if you go by the way Disney hyped it and the amount of land they used to build it -- not some cheap add-on. It's much bigger than Storybook Circus or Dinorama, for one.

They treated it more like New Fantasyland than Storybook Circus. While New Fantasyland is certainly not as good as it should have been, it's far better than TSL. To be fair, it's possible Dinorama was hyped too. It was long enough ago that I don't really remember. However, the fact remains that Toy Story Land is roughly twice the size of Dinorama.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

Agreed, it needed at least another B-ticket type attraction or my personal push, a Speedway type attraction.

If I was calling the shots for DHS, it would have made more sense to better utilize the Slinky Dog space to get 4-5 attractions on the same footprint, put Mickey and Minnie's in Animation Courtyard and give GMR a proper refurb. That would have given the park 11-12 rides instead of 9.
Not doing this was/is absolutely the biggest mistake in the park's history. A revitalized Animation Courtyard anchored by the character who "started it all" was a complete no brainer, and would have been a perfect time to add a new walkway behind Sunset Ranch Market to finally alleviate the bottlenecks and dead ends on that side of DHS. But more importantly, it would have allowed for proper refurbishment of what was, literally, the park's centerpiece attraction that so perfectly encapsulated the theme, allure, and "purpose" of the studios park.

To paraphrase Martin, idiots...

To bring this back to the 50th wish list, can we at least get Tower of Terror back to full operation of all its effects? Or did I miss all that finally getting addressed? I am curious what the "beacon of magic" effects will look like. Separate from that programming, some theme appropriate projection mapping on the exterior would be fun, maybe as a way to bring back the sparking effect for the HTH sign or an occasional flash of lightning bolts across the facade.

cjkeating

Dinorama was not hyped anywhere near as much as TSL...
And Dinorama WAS built on a budget... TSL (despite its value-engineering) was anything but cheap.

RSoxNo1

Maybe it's better than Storybook Circus (an incredibly low bar to clear)? I don't think it's better than Dinorama as a whole concept (Slinky Dog Dash is certainly a better attraction than anything in Dinorama). I don't like Dinorama at all, but it at least has a clear theme and story. Toy Story Land is essentially just a bunch of scattered props. The other problem is that TSL isn't supposed to be comparable to either of them at WDW. It was supposed to be a major addition to the park -- at least if you go by the way Disney hyped it and the amount of land they used to build it -- not some cheap add-on. It's much bigger than Storybook Circus or Dinorama, for one.

They treated it more like New Fantasyland than Storybook Circus. While New Fantasyland is certainly not as good as it should have been, it's far better than TSL. To be fair, it's possible Dinorama was hyped too. It was long enough ago that I don't really remember. However, the fact remains that Toy Story Land is roughly twice the size of Dinorama.
Dinorama has a good backstory, but it doesn't make the end product any better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom