The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

TTA94

Just speculation, but since its now confirmed the 50th is running until 2023, I have a strong feeling we are not going to be seeing anything new debuting until probably Spring 2022, Including Harmonious, With the exception of the new projections and maybe a HEA tag. I know some had already predicted the 2022 timeframe. I would imagine WDW is going to deliberately plan it that way to keep the excitement up for the 50th in 2022. Also makes complete sense for them to make a big deal of pre Covid entertainment returning around the 50th kickoff, then move into some new entertainment in 2022.

phillip9698

Can anyone who was a WDW regular around the time of the 25th answer a question for me. How early in advance were the changes to the castle made in order to have everything ready for the 25th? Were the weeks preceding the event doomed with a castle that was covered with scaffolding?

Edit- As mentioned below the 50th for Disneyland may be a better reference point, any thoughts?

Reason im asking is because im planning a trip for mid September and want my kids to at least be able to see the castle on their first visit.

Last edited:

mm52200

Can anyone who was a WDW regular around the time of the 25th answer a question for me. How early in advance were the changes to the castle made in order to have everything ready for the 25th? Were the weeks preceding the event doomed with a castle that was covered with scaffolding?

Reason im asking is because im planning a trip for mid September and want my kids to at least be able to see the castle on their first visit.
Probably a better point of reference would be the timeline for Disneyland’s 50th in 2005. The 25th was a complete repainting of the castle and whatnot. This will be more similar to the overlay in 2005.

TK294

I am 100% okay with ToT as the park icon if it keeps the ride safe from a Guardians makeover!
After watching the newest episode of WandaVision last night, there was a moment where the music sounded Very similar to ToT as you're in transit to the ride shaft.
I am not nearly as knowledgeable as many of you about the Marvel restrictions so I'm not sure if WDW can change the ride or not...but I could see them using Wanda's powers "on the fritz" as a ride theme.
Hopefully they leave a classic just as it is but the chance for marketing new merch might be irresistible.

LittleBuford

Note: This is a continuation of the original 50th anniversary thread from 2015 available at https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/magic-kingdom-50th-anniversary-plans.900622/

VIDEO - Walt Disney World Resort 50th Anniversary Celebration plans to be unveiled​

Did they manipulate the footage to make the castle look better, or has the paintjob already begun to fade a little?

LittleBuford

Which frustrates me, because The Chinese Theater has always been *exceptionally* well positioned (both literally and figuratively) for that role. If you had to sum up "Hollywood" in one building . . . ta da.

But, alas.
The problem with the Chinese Theater is that it is an imitation of an existing landmark and therefore not really Disney's own. This is why, I think, the Tower of Terror makes more sense as an icon (though I personally wish we could have the Earful Tower back).

LittleMerman

After watching the newest episode of WandaVision last night, there was a moment where the music sounded Very similar to ToT as you're in transit to the ride shaft.
I am not nearly as knowledgeable as many of you about the Marvel restrictions so I'm not sure if WDW can change the ride or not...but I could see them using Wanda's powers "on the fritz" as a ride theme.
Hopefully they leave a classic just as it is but the chance for marketing new merch might be irresistible.
Interesting! I haven't seen Wandavision yet but want to. I highly doubt they'll change ToT for a long time though. They changed it in DCA bc the park as a whole needed more attention. HS has been the most popular park since the addition of Galaxy's Edge.

Disney Analyst

They only use ToT as it’s easier to project on and get the effect they want... I really don’t think HS has an icon like the other three parks, and that’s fine. The parks can differ.

MagicWDI

I heard from someone that there is apparently legal issues with using the Chinese Theater as the parks icon.
This is correct. From my understand and from what I've been told the new owners of the Chinese Theater felt the original agreement favored Disney too much and tried to rework a license agreement that did not allow Disney to use the iconic theater's likeness as a promotional tool and main icon for the park. I assume Disney didn't want to put up a fight so I guess an understanding was compromised and Disney erected the large Mickey hat and used that as the main icon for promos instead, dropping any link to the theater from artwork and ads. I assume it was later agreed that removing the hat was okay, as long as Disney can't use the theater in promos outside the park. My understanding is the visual likeness of the theater is limited only to a visual backdrop and nothing more, and cannot be used to promote the park in any way.

lazyboy97o

I heard from someone that there is apparently legal issues with using the Chinese Theater as the parks icon.

This is correct. From my understand and from what I've been told the new owners of the Chinese Theater felt the original agreement favored Disney too much and tried to rework a license agreement that did not allow Disney to use the iconic theater's likeness as a promotional tool and main icon for the park. I assume Disney didn't want to put up a fight so I guess an understanding was compromised and Disney erected the large Mickey hat and used that as the main icon for promos instead, dropping any link to the theater from artwork and ads. I assume it was later agreed that removing the hat was okay, as long as Disney can't use the theater in promos outside the park. My understanding is the visual likeness of the theater is limited only to a visual backdrop and nothing more, and cannot be used to promote the park in any way.
There are no legal or licensing issues. It is a story made up by fans to justify the need for the Hat. There is no need to license the image of the Chinese Theater because it predates US copyright protection of architectural works (which unless specifically transferred to the building owner is held by the architect) and Disney would not have signed a 12 year licensing deal for the center icon of a park. It also makes no sense that Disney would just do what a small company wants if they have an existing deal. If there was a licensing issue then they would have replaced the facade when the ride changed. The only potential issue with ownership is the far less icon theater across the street from the Chinese Theater, the Disney owned El Capitan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom