The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

fgmnt

Final Push???

He didn't leave until 2005, After DL's 50th started I believe.
It was probably the last point in time Eisner was seen as the golden boy. Think about the relatively quick succession of failed attempts to pump up the company, especially P&R (but don't forget movies), pretty much immediately after the 25th anniversary concluded at WDW. Westcot cancelled, Euro Disney Resort firmly in crisis after a weak turnaround attempt, then failures at DCA and DAK up through 9/11 and the final death of meaningful capital expenditures under Eisner. Some would go as far as saying that domestic parks and resorts' best days were probably peaked then and have been stagnant or declining ever since.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Final Push???

He didn't leave until 2005, After DL's 50th started I believe.

He was voted out in 2003...left in 2004.

He also made a big push around 2000 in Orlando. Eisner was the best thing to come to Orlando by a nautical mile.

But he cheaped out in the later parks...can’t deny...so nobody will give any credit for anything else. He took Disney from “medium” sized to gigantic...big coat tails for bob to grab onto with the jaws of life.

Here Endeth the Disney history lesson

Last edited:

TTA94

Bit confusing that they are announcing new projection shows, but not fireworks? Do they actually think projection shows will not crowds? Please.

LittleMerman

It's no secret that Disney has lost a lot of money with their theme park closures and limitations. The timing for Covid was awful for Disney fans because I'm sure the plans for the 50th were reduced significantly. But I'm okay with that given the circumstances. It's not like Disney is just being cheap. I would honestly be okay with the additions to the park icons - I'm really, really excited for those! It'll add something magical and we are already getting some new attractions. I'm sure we'll get a few other surprises as well even if they're on the smaller side. Can't wait to find out tomorrow!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's no secret that Disney has lost a lot of money with their theme park closures and limitations. The timing for Covid was awful for Disney fans because I'm sure the plans for the 50th were reduced significantly. But I'm okay with that given the circumstances. It's not like Disney is just being cheap. I would honestly be okay with the additions to the park icons - I'm really, really excited for those! It'll add something magical and we are already getting some new attractions. I'm sure we'll get a few other surprises as well even if they're on the smaller side. Can't wait to find out tomorrow!!

We’ll never know now...but I think people would have been very disappointed “for the 50th”

They just don’t do those long exclusive park promos now. Not in Florida.

Guardians, rat, tron...those were to address them falling behind after near 20 years of abandoning the proven plan to reinvest. So were avatar and abramsland and toy story. A theme park should receive a significant rehab or addition every 3 years on average (meaning on average one a year in Orlando)...the Iger record is not even close. They did well the last 8 years or so...but that was catch up for that and the previous 12.

I hope that — for us WDW fans — October 1, 2021 will mark WDW’s 50th anniversary and a somewhat “official” end of the pandemic. Nothing would make me happier than Disney restarting all of its fireworks shows and ceasing mask requirements on October 1, kicking off a year-long post-pandemic celebration.

Obviously, that largely depends on vaccination speed over the next several months. But whenever this pandemic is over, I will be eager to stand in a big crowd on Main Street USA and watch HEA. For me, that will be a more powerful, emotional 50th celebration than anything Disney could have planned.

MrPromey

... Eisner was the best thing to come to Orlando by a nautical mile.

But he cheaped out in the later parks...can’t deny...so nobody will give any credit for anything else. He took Disney from “medium” sized to gigantic...big coat tails for bob to grab onto with the jaws of life.

Here Endeth the Disney history lesson
I can even forgive him for the Imagination Pavilion thanks to everything that came before that debacle...

TTA94

We should keep our expectations low.

Definitely not expecting them to spill all the beans today. I would think it’s likely we’ll get a second announcement if and when Covid improvements are made, could be summer, could be fall with a announcement of stuff coming in 2022.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom