The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

IMDREW

I do find it hard to believe that this can't be traced to the top, particularly when you consider how important milestones in the parks have been for former CEOs. For example, Disneyland's 50th was more or less Eisner's big farewell and the opening of Shanghai Disneyland was supposed to be the pinnacle of Iger's tenure as CEO. That Chapek's time as CEO was inaugurated by this celebration of WDW's 50th is... interesting.
Interesting, but completely in character for the guy

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's just been hilarious alone to see all the things Disneyland Resort has gotten during the WDW 50th celebration and then to see DLP's 30th make our 50th look like a joke has just been icing on the cake.
Compare DL’s 50th to this. It’s a travesty. We won’t even talk about how much better DLP’s 30th is to this crap. #ThanksBob

yensidtlaw1969

It's just been hilarious alone to see all the things Disneyland Resort has gotten during the WDW 50th celebration and then to see DLP's 30th make our 50th look like a joke has just been icing on the cake.
I was at WDW on October 1st and was just at DLP 2 weeks ago . . . there is no comparison. DLP was clearly more invested in their celebration. WDW almost wanted you to forget it was even happening.

I was prepared to drop serious $$ on 50th merch, and ended up spending more in 2 days at DLP for 30th merch than I did in a week at WDW. You'd think at the VERY least they would have given us great 50th souvenirs to break our banks on.

brb1006

Can somebody on this site make a version of this scene from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but insert the logos for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, Tokyo Disneyland 30th Anniversary "The Happiness Year" beating up Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary, followed by DLP's 30th Anniversary joining in?
2x74h3.png

That would totally make my day if my wish comes true. Better delivery than WDW's offerings for their 50th Anniversary.

Centauri Space Station

DLR? Arent they just getting some old entertainment back and stuff that was cut since COVID? Unless you mean Avengers they haven’t gotten anything else since the reopen

nickys

Premium Member
"It's just been hilarious alone to see all the things Disneyland Resort has gotten during the WDW 50th celebration"

I was referring to this
Ah. My mind was on DLP’s 30th.

I understood things had been returning faster at DLR. And I think they got ride refreshes along with Avenger’s Campus. And didn’t they get a new parade too?

Someone who knows for sure can hopefully list them all.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I was at WDW on October 1st and was just at DLP 2 weeks ago . . . there is no comparison. DLP was clearly more invested in their celebration. WDW almost wanted you to forget it was even happening.
I really am so curious about why WDW's 50th has been so mediocre.

I'm sure part of it is just cheapness exacerbated by post-COVID cheapness. Beyond that, though, even the things they did do seemed weirdly disconnected from the fact they were supposed to be celebrating the 50th. The TV commercials, 50 (but not really) golden statues (remember those?), and two nighttime spectaculars that debuted at the beginning of the celebration all had next to nothing to do with the actual 50th anniversary of WDW.

Beyond the cheapness, it seems like it must be a management issue. What's noticeable at DLRP is that they seem to take pride in and want to celebrate the resort itself. You just get the sense WDW (and increasingly the parks more generally in the US) are being run by people sitting in offices for whom its just another job with little interest in or knowledge of the product and without the skills to hide that or anyone above them who notices. Whereas somewhere like DLRP at least seems to have good management at the resort itself, the rot seems to go from the top right down at WDW to people making decisions like the Main Street USA DJ or plastic bags for build your own lightsaber. My impression is that there are at least some talented people in Anaheim, but in Orlando executive offices, I'm not so sure.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Can somebody on this site make a version of this scene from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but insert the logos for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, Tokyo Disneyland 30th Anniversary "The Happiness Year" beating up Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary, followed by DLP's 30th Anniversary joining in?
View attachment 633667
That would totally make my day if my wish comes true. Better delivery than WDW's offerings for their 50th Anniversary.

Well, I’m no photoshop expert so…

DL 50th: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tokyo DL 30th: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DLP 30th: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
WDW 50th: 💩💩💩💩💩

Those who came up with the WDW 50th “celebration” have no business being in the theme park industry. That net is probably a wide one.

brb1006

Well, I’m no photoshop expert so…

DL 50th: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tokyo DL 30th: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DLP 30th: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
WDW 50th: 💩💩💩💩💩

Those who came up with the WDW 50th “celebration” have no business being in the theme park industry. That net is probably a wide one.
This will have to do for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom