The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They tried kind of with housing near what is now Disney Springs...and Saratoga Springs. And then kind of with Celebration.

Disstevefan1

Progress City could never have been built the way Walt described it. Once people lived there it could no long be experimental, or use prototypes. Very little (read: none) in depth planning had been done when Walt passed away. As one Imagineer said about it "You simply cannot experiment with people's lives." Meaning everything had to be practical, not a prototype. (And I learned quickly not to mention the EPCOT painting to John Hench. Trust me, you do not want to know his reply).
This is fun to discuss but we will never know what Walt's vision would have end up being had he lived to complete it.
He said on the EPCOT film, that things may change time and time again so we will never know.

91JLovesDisney

I'm not saying Progress City was a good idea but the fact that Walt actually was striving to create such a thing should be respected more than it is. Just an opinion, nothing anyone needs to argue about.

Brian

A feel good 50th anniversary story.

Following a day of fun at the park, the mother-son duo was quoted as having said: "Man, there was more nostalgia back in '71."

(For those who can't identify one, that was a joke)

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Oh, my goodness. Sirius FM has a Disney Hits channel (basically replaced Radio Disney) that does a weekly Extra Magic Hour show. This week it is all WDW music. Serious nostalgia!

I was excited to find the channel on Sirius but it's kind of awful, at least compared to what I expected/hoped. I have like 20 saved stations and flip through them regularly -- the Disney Hits channel doesn't play music from Disney movies all that often. Seems like the ratio is maybe one Disney movie song for every 3-4 songs from a Disney channel show or some other type of Disney pop that I do not know or want to hear.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Random AK observations:

1. Celebration of FOTLK is still a good show. I can understand the edits for the pandemic. Looking forward to the return of the full show.

2. Kite Tails is a fun and quirky show. I saw it while having lunch at a Flame Tree pavilion. Don’t expect high production value. It’s just guys on jet skis pulling funny kites across the water to catchy music. It’s a good thing to do on a break. I don’t expect it to last a long time so catch while you can.

3. For those who say this is a half day park, it’s now 2pm and the last attraction I did was KS around 9:30. Since then, I’ve walked Gorilla Jungle Trek, visited Rafikis Planet Watch, saw Flights of Wonder, saw Celebration of FOLTK, had lunch at Flame Tree and have now started Maharaja Jungle Trek. I’ll finally do another attraction afterward — either Kali or Everest.
Just did FOTLK, agree. Funny thing.. second shift seems to be always the best.. the last 3 shows were damn good imho.. more energetic.

Also.. NAVI river was consistently higher waiting than FOP.

Speaking of fop, they need to calibrate the projectors... Some scenes looks awfully double and blurry.
Infact, it looked sharper when I was on the far left (top left) side.

Cesar R M

Who else here is amazed that the Disney websites are actually working while Facebook isn’t. Who would have thought? Now that’s something to celebrate….

…for now anyways
sites.. maybe..
but park wifi has been very spotty.
Second park for me for my trip.. and wifi was down most of the day, DAK had a few outages but nothing as bad as DHS.
Will see EPCOT tomorrow.

JohnD

Just did FOTLK, agree. Funny thing.. second shift seems to be always the best.. the last 3 shows were damn good imho.. more energetic.

Also.. NAVI river was consistently higher waiting than FOP.

Speaking of fop, they need to calibrate the projectors... Some scenes looks awfully double and blurry.
Infact, it looked sharper when I was on the far left (top left) side.
I was thinking the same thing re FOP. I wear prescription glasses and thought it might be those. I briefly removed the 3D glasses then put item back on and realized it was the projection.

ToTBellHop

I was excited to find the channel on Sirius but it's kind of awful, at least compared to what I expected/hoped. I have like 20 saved stations and flip through them regularly -- the Disney Hits channel doesn't play music from Disney movies all that often. Seems like the ratio is maybe one Disney movie song for every 3-4 songs from a Disney channel show or some other type of Disney pop that I do not know or want to hear.
Depends on the time of day. Afternoons are all Disney Channel “music”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom