• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Missing20K

Are they gonna turn it the 2ish degrees clockwise before the 50th? Maybe it’s a countdown clock? Each day it rotates just a fraction until 10/1 it’s dead nuts center.

Count me in the group that counts it as underwhelming. The offset and odd choice in typeface. The lack of a “th” to signify it’s a milestone and not a house number. It not being plumb. Small details to be sure, but ‘tis where the devil resides.

Vinnie Mac

I'm speculating it's just a timing thing where the new shows have reached a level of testing that they need to take control of some systems for the new show and they use new infrastructure that isn't connected to the old show systems and can't easily be shared; or it's just not worth building the infrastructure out to share them for 90 days. In the early days of EF, they weren't even close to starting testing of Harmonius so EF could use them.
Asked this question a couple weeks ago and was told that they would return. Every night I've been watching closely to see if they're back but not yet. I'm wondering if the FAA has anything to do with it because don't they have some type of policy with lasers?

Vinnie Mac

What a gigantic "so what!!"
Small shiny statuettes around the 4 parks...
That money would have been better spent on creating the Main Street Magical Windows like Disneyland has...
Or a new attraction...
Or painting the castle back to it's normal color.
It's the most value engineered and lackluster 50th Celebration ever!
You can argue this but I don't see how some of those complaints make any sense.

MagicHappens1971

What a gigantic "so what!!"
Small shiny statuettes around the 4 parks...
That money would have been better spent on creating the Main Street Magical Windows like Disneyland has...
Or a new attraction...
Or painting the castle back to it's normal color.
It's the most value engineered and lackluster 50th Celebration ever!
This is really turning into the “Fab 25/30”

In the Parks
Yes
Asked this question a couple weeks ago and was told that they would return. Every night I've been watching closely to see if they're back but not yet. I'm wondering if the FAA has anything to do with it because don't they have some type of policy with lasers?
It appears to be a (trained) staffing issue. Starting up, adjusting, and monitoring these laser systems are not trivial tasks. Remember that these lasers are reasonably high powered and can burn a person's skin if aimed incorrectly - that's why they are tested and tuned every time they are powered up for a show.
The only FAA requirement is that they get a call each night before the show(s) - the flight advisory (?) is only filed once per year and is current.
Lastly, I asked an Imagineer about use the laser(s) by more than one show and her reply was that it's just a show controller on the other end of an Ethernet link, and can be used by any show at any time, without any special interface or change of control script.

Vinnie Mac

It appears to be a (trained) staffing issue. Starting up, adjusting, and monitoring these laser systems are not trivial tasks. Remember that these lasers are reasonably high powered and can burn a person's skin if aimed incorrectly - that's why they are tested and tuned every time they are powered up for a show.
The only FAA requirement is that they get a call each night before the show(s) - the flight advisory (?) is only filed once per year and is current.
Lastly, I asked an Imagineer about use the laser(s) by more than one show and her reply was that it's just a show controller on the other end of an Ethernet link, and can be used by any show at any time, without any special interface or change of control script.
Ah okay that makes sense. I wonder what the most likely timeline for a return is.

MadTeacup

I'm not sure if the lasers are powerful enough to burn skin considering they don't scorch the paint on the castle. However, you are correct that there is a certain focus height tolerance that exists. It's typically more to ensure that the lasers never point to a human eye. In the VoLM theater there are actually lines painted on the walls where the lasers must not go past. Every morning before park opening, a trained technician must come to test the lasers. If just one of the lasers points below the lines, the whole laser system is shut off until the laser responsible can be refocused. Also, if the daily laser test cannot take place, the lasers will not be used. I imagine there are similar procedures for all other shows featuring lasers. As you mention, one of the current issues with live entertainment is the lack of trained staff.

MisterPenguin

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧Fully Pfizered!🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧
Premium Member
I don't get it - how big are these statues? Life size? or are they more of a display on a table somewhere?
1627337975393.png

UNCgolf

I don't get it - how big are these statues? Life size? or are they more of a display on a table somewhere?

Based on the concept art, more the latter than the former.

I don't think they're small, though -- I'd guess they're maybe 2-3 feet tall? Hard to say for sure until we actually see one installed, or at least see one with something else in the image for perspective.

MisterPenguin

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧Fully Pfizered!🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧
Premium Member
Based on the concept art, more the latter than the former.

I don't think they're small, though -- I'd guess they're maybe 2-3 feet tall? Hard to say for sure until we actually see one installed, or at least see one with something else in the image for perspective.
Like this..?

The "Iridescent Eight" in front of the castle:
Mickey & Minnie
Donald & Daisy
Goofy & Pluto
Chip 'n Dale

Oddly, Mickey will be in that garden twice as he's part of the partners statue.

MadTeacup

They appear to be the same size as the current Hub statues that have existed now for decades, I believe. I think this is a low-key way of eliminating the Br'er Rabbit statue without drawing attention to its removal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom