The wonderful Zootopia

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
Since I do a lot of griping here, it seems right that I should praise a recent Disney creation - that deserves it.

That creation would be the movie "Zootopia". I've been watching it a lot lately, and it just gets better with every viewing. Why?

1. The animal designs are in the classic Disney style. Instantly appealing, expressive, endearing, a delight to the eye. Only classic Looney Tunes animal designs (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Pepe le Pew) come close in that regard.

2. World-building. Zootopia, Bunnyborough, Little Rodentia, the various environmentally-diverse Districts - these are all fantasy locations you can and WANT to believe in. More beautiful design.

3. The characters. You wanna talk about a strong female character done right? You can't do better than Judy Hopps. I absolutely adore her. Strong, principled, determined, with smarts that can even outmatch a fox. She wasn't given anything because of "I am woman (female), hear me roar". She faced obstacles that tested her weaknesses, and overcame them using her strengths. And those strengths are believable. She has no special gifts - just natural rabbit abilities that actually gave her an edge, when used properly.

Then there's Nick Wilde. Truly a jerk in the beginning, his layers, when revealed, gave him a true poignancy because they were so well-written. He's a wonderful foil/leading man for Judy. Together, they are akin to some classic real-life silver screen couples. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert in "It Happened One Night" come to mind.

All of the other characters are delights too. I especially like Tommy Chong's yak (named Yax, apparently). What a wonderful distinct voice - ditzy and good-natured. I do hope he appears in the sequel. Along with Mr. Big (probably the best animal version of the Godfather) and his daughter Fru Fru, Mayor Lionheart (a flawed, complicated but ultimately well-meaning character IMO), Chief Bogo, and yes, even Bellweather (I did feel a bit sorry for her. Lionheart's dismissive, cavalier attitude towards her gave her a compelling reason for desiring revenge. Since reforming villains seem to be Disney's fetish these days, I hope the same happens for her. Like Dr. Facilier, her motivations for her villainy are entirely understandable. (BTW, I hope for a redemption for him as well. Better him than wimpy buttmonkey LeFou, in my opinion).

So that's my take. More Zootopia, please!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom