the WDW "D Logo's" return

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
For anyone who has been to WDW throughout 2010, noticed the introduction of 14.95 t-shirts with the original WDW D logo on them. This later expanded to a children's line, then onto sweat shirts and jerseys and now onto "green" bags with the old logo. In addition, a plaid '71 merchandise campaign was expanded for men's and women's and now 40th merchandise is starting to seep into the parks.

What interests me is that the 40th merch DOES NOT use the 1997-present day WDW script font, instead it uses the original 1971 logo but with a purple color and the global mickey face in red. Then you have the D40 logo as well. Check out the postcards coming out for the 40th. The old logo is now back on the letterhead of the postcard, the 1997 logo is gone.

Is this just a temporary thing to bay homage to yesteryear, or because disney fans will soak up any vintage merchandise?

Then consider this dismaying observation: For years children knew of "disney" by it's walt disney script font....if children in california can recognize the medieval disneyland font aka walt disney's magic kingdom...than children in 2010 were getting acquainting with the D logo as ....literally...."Disney World"

Is team disney orlando getting comfortable with the D logo to be used throughout the resort as a gradual phase in, or will it just cling to the 1997 logo once 2011 is over?

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
By the way, here's the logo sporting it's new color scheme:

2yoef09.jpg

And the alternate logo:

2i1l503.jpg

Testtrack321

I think it's a nostalgia thing, not an official branding decision. Tshirts are one thing, brochures and advertisements another.

wedway71

I was there when I was one in 1971. I too have lots of memories of the old logo and would love to see it come back on merchandise. I also, like the new Walt Disney signature logo as well.

Horizons1

I was gifted with several different articles of 40th anniversary clothing today. My most favorite of them all is the 40th hoodie. I will be wearing this all the time during the winter.

T-1MILLION

When it was cold out on monday and I somehow did not bring a hoodie that I thought I had in the trunk, I bought a 25 dollar Hoodie with this logo and Mickey on it. Was so thrilled to find it. No emergency purchase selection was doing it for me until I came across that. I know I can have fun sporting that. I always loved that logo.

Also, my local Disney Outlet Store in Fort myers has the logo and a few variations for 7.99 on most polo and T-shirts. I may have to pick one or two up in upcomming weeks.

LOVE the old logo! It brings back so many great chilhood memories. I still have one of the white vinyl bumper stickers with this logo on it(never used!).:sohappy:

s8film40

I am the only one, but I like the new logo. LOL

The new logo is very generic and blends WDW in with the rest of the Disney brand. I think people appreciate the old logo for the same reasons as the old Disneyland logo in that they are unique to that particular thing. When you first glance at the old WDW logo you know instantly what it is. The new logo can easily be confused with other Disney things with only a quick glance. In reality the old logo does a far better job of actually being a logo. The new logo really ins't much of a logo at all it's just text with two different font styles.

lazyboy97o

The new logo is very generic and blends WDW in with the rest of the Disney brand. I think people appreciate the old logo for the same reasons as the old Disneyland logo in that they are unique to that particular thing. When you first glance at the old WDW logo you know instantly what it is. The new logo can easily be confused with other Disney things with only a quick glance. In reality the old logo does a far better job of actually being a logo. The new logo really ins't much of a logo at all it's just text with two different font styles.
Exactly. It was part of a company wide branding effort that many divisions adopting the "Walt Disney" (in script) + "Department Name" (in Times New Roman) formula. It was a generic approach that makes little sense at a "creative" enterprise. In the past few years some logos have been going a bit more independent, such as DisneyParks, Walt Disney Pictures and Walt Disney Animation Studios (which has gone so far as to use a different script). I understand that brand recognition is important, and a common logo is usually a big part of that, but I think "Disney" is a well enough known name that such uniformity is not necessary.

The company is also changing a lot of the old logos from Times New Roman to Myriad. I think this looks better and would like to see it make the move to Walt Disney World (but the old logo would be much prefered in my book).

This may not work for all, but here it goes.
The Walt Disney Company (old)
[font=Myriad, Myriad Pro]The[/font] Walt Disney [font=Myriad, Myriad Pro]Company[/font] (current)

Walt Disney World (current)
Walt Disney [font=Myriad, Myriad Pro]World[/font] (future?)
Walt Disney World (better future?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom