Rumor The Wave to become an 'Incredibles Steakhouse'

Beacon Joe

Work continues:
https://blogmickey.com/2019/08/room...-for-mid-century-modern-incredibles-makeover/
ECaqe7rXsAE6aw8.jpg:orig

Oh, God.

ETA: Somebody in the comments section in the linked article posted that the Elasticgirl picture was removed. Hopefully, it stays that way. The resort redone in a mid-century modern style could be pretty awesome, and could actually go well with the Contemporary's architecture. Shoehorning the Incredibles into it, not so much.

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
Based on a breakfast experience here recently, it appears that the CMs who work at The Wave have been told of remodel plans next year. I was told that breakfast will remain. So it sounds like management had a "clear the air" meeting with CMs after this rumor got out.

The CM didn't mention anything about The Incredibles theme.

Surfin' Tuna

I know I was pretty sure of this (Incredibles theme) happening in July because of the test rooms, but I am no longer sure this is a thing. On Thursday I came across some new information that makes me think the Incredibles theme is not going to happen. This is of particular interest to those of us who still love the Mary Blair mural, so I have my fingers crossed that this is valid.

Sir_Cliff

I know I was pretty sure of this (Incredibles theme) happening in July because of the test rooms, but I am no longer sure this is a thing. On Thursday I came across some new information that makes me think the Incredibles theme is not going to happen. This is of particular interest to those of us who still love the Mary Blair mural, so I have my fingers crossed that this is valid.
I definitely hope this is true and agree with @EpcotCenter82 that they should re-vist the original designs from the 1970s to see how they can incorporate them in a restoration of the hotel to its vintage glory. I know it's been said many times here, but it's very surprising to me they don't seem to realise how fashionable retro and mid-century aesthetics are at present and lean into that. The only way they seem to be able to conceive of it is via the Incredibles... which in itself was a testament to how popular mid-century aesthetics are at present.

If they want to make it more "Disney", why not incorporate vintage WDW graphics into the design of the hotel? Stuff like this would look great integrated into the design:

Last edited:

brihow

I definitely hope this is true and agree with @EpcotCenter82 that they should re-vist the original designs from the 1970s to see how they can incorporate them in a restoration of the hotel to its vintage glory. I know it's been said many times here, but it's very surprising to me they don't seem to realise how fashionable retro and mid-century aesthetics are at present and lean into that. The only way they seem to be able to conceive of it is via the Incredibles... which in itself was a testament to how popular mid-century aesthetics are at present.

If they want to make it more "Disney", why not incorporate vintage WDW graphics into the design of the hotel? Stuff like this would look great integrated into the design:

View attachment 401670

View attachment 401672

View attachment 401673

View attachment 401676

View attachment 401671

View attachment 401681
Because none of that will sell Incredibles toys at WDW.

Tommye1078

I for sure am in the minority here but I welcome the incredibles theme. Although it’s probably because I have a little crush on Helen Parr...

TrojanUSC

View attachment 401670

View attachment 401672

View attachment 401673

View attachment 401676

View attachment 401671

View attachment 401681

I'm all for leaning heavily into the mid-century modern but the concourse had a very heavy southwestern motif when it opened, which was en vogue at the time but is the exact opposite of that at the current. That's why the mural is going to look out of place no matter what they do.

Surfin' Tuna

The building is mid-century modern. The mural is historically significant (and nice) art. Can't we put any art in any place we want? Does it really have to match thematically? Fix the building, clean it up, remove the clutter all over the grand canyon concourse and leave my mural alone!

Epcot82Guy

With a more minimalist, mid century aesthetic, the mural could remain with no issue. The issue I have with the Incredibles is how tied it is to a genre. I equate the Contemporary in some ways with the Disneyland Hotel. There is an element of a retro timelessness to it. It is, at the same time, dated, a call back and modern at once. The Contemporary could easily have the same. A modern reinterpretation of a retro style. (vs. the very modern pop-art feeling that harkened back to the late 90s and early 2000s.) While the Incredibles don't have a time period either, I don't find them nearly as timeless. I would use the Fab Five before I would use Incredibles. Or, I would theme it to the vintage WDW (i.e. MK) attraction poster styles and the Monorail. I think it would have longer-standing legs than a specific Pixar IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom