Rumor The Wave to become an 'Incredibles Steakhouse'

nicb88

Original Poster
Forgive me if this has been dealt with, and if it should be in dining (I couldn't find the rumor title there), but the site that should not be named is suggesting The Wave... of American Flavors at the Contemporary is being considered for conversion to 'The Incredibles Steakhouse'.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Truth to this? It seems ridiculous, really...

britain

I don't see how anyone calls this far-fetched. The Contemporary is the only place on property that fits the Incredibles mid-century modern aesthetic. Heck it even has a MONORAIL ROLLING THROUGH THE CENTER OF IT! Of course something as minor as a restaurant refresh could become Incredibles-themed. A whole hotel retheming wouldn't seem off-base to me.

nicb88

Original Poster
I don't see how anyone calls this far-fetched. The Contemporary is the only place on property that fits the Incredibles mid-century modern aesthetic. Heck it even has a MONORAIL ROLLING THROUGH THE CENTER OF IT! Of course something as minor as a restaurant refresh could become Incredibles-themed. A whole hotel retheming wouldn't seem off-base to me.

Given the Beauty and the Beast themed bar at the Grand Floridian, it certainly isn't beyond possible, but to retheme this restaurant would leave only California Grill as un-themed TSR at CR. That certainly doesn't add up to the deluxe rating that they give the resort. Out of everywhere, I'd say the clientele here would likely not want to eat at a character dining establishment for every meal.

SpaceMountain77

Although I do not want to believe the rumor, I do think it is reasonable given the recent conversion of Artist Point to Storybook Dining and the reimagining of Mizner's Lounge to Beast's Castle. My family and I have enjoyed several wonderful meals at the Wave and, sadly, we have yet to observe a full dining room. Regarding availability, we have, in fact, had walk-up success in the past.

Character dining is already offered at Chef Mickey's, so it would seem odd to leave guests with no traditional table service options.

britain

What exactly is the theme of the Contemporary in 2019?

At some point, I think they'll have to bite the bullet and embrace its 20th century modernism as a theme. Just like how the Disneyland Hotel has leaned into its 50's DL heritage. Might not happen until the 2030's or 2040's. But in time, no amount of new paint or carpet will be able to justify calling it "The Contemporary Resort" anymore.

imarc

At some point, I think they'll have to bite the bullet and embrace its 20th century modernism as a theme. Just like how the Disneyland Hotel has leaned into its 50's DL heritage. Might not happen until the 2030's or 2040's. But in time, no amount of new paint or carpet will be able to justify calling it "The Contemporary Resort" anymore.

If the Star Wars hotel works, they could do the same thing... only it's a trip to the future of the 1960s.

Just have to dig that tunnel to Tomorrowland.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Given the Beauty and the Beast themed bar at the Grand Floridian, it certainly isn't beyond possible, but to retheme this restaurant would leave only California Grill as un-themed TSR at CR. That certainly doesn't add up to the deluxe rating that they give the resort. Out of everywhere, I'd say the clientele here would likely not want to eat at a character dining establishment for every meal.
Once they rethemed the bar at GF to a Beauty and the Beast theme I realized we lost the battle.

Well, it is not really themed to Beauty and the Beast, but more inspired by the film. Looking at the concept art, you can see the inspiration from the film but definitely not in your face like BOG restaurant. The problem with it is that it doesn't fit with the rest of the resort...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Although I do not want to believe the rumor, I do think it is reasonable given the recent conversion of Artist Point to Storybook Dining and the reimagining of Mizner's Lounge to Beast's Castle. My family and I have enjoyed several wonderful meals at the Wave and, sadly, we have yet to observe a full dining room. Regarding availability, we have, in fact, had walk-up success in the past.

That seems right to me. Character dining ADRs are sometimes difficult to get, and here you have a restaurant that hardly needs an ADR. If guests are scrambling to pay extra for Character Dining...

Character dining is already offered at Chef Mickey's, so it would seem odd to leave guests with no traditional table service options.

There's always California Grill!

Also, the Wave is a large space, they may leave some area as non-M&G like al Forno does for Rapunzel's breakfast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom