The Walt Disney Co. 4th Quarter Earnings Report Shows Record Revenue

John park hopper

Original Poster
Parks and Resorts: 9% growth in revenues and 11% growth in operating income for the 4th quarter, 10% growth in revenues and 18% growth in operating income for the fiscal year

Parks and Resorts
Compared to last year’s Q4, Parks and Resorts saw growth of 9% in revenues, from $4.667 billion to $5.070 billion, and 11% in segment operating income, from $746 million to $829 million. The division saw revenues increase from $18.415 billion for fiscal 2017 to $20,296 billion this year — 10% growth year-over-year. Segment operating income jumped 18% for the fiscal year, from $3.774 billion to $4.469 billion'
The growth in operating income was due to increased guest spending and attendance at the domestic parks.

Bob Iger speak--- increased guest spending ----translation our strategy of new resort parking fees, increased park parking fees, increased snack fees, increased resort fees etc etc is paying off. Our guests have no choice but to spend more if they want the magic.

eliza61nyc

Well my portfolio will be happy.

And guest always have a choice.

Wait, there are resort fees now? wow!! I had heard about the parking fee, did not hear about the resort fees. how much are they?

John park hopper

Original Poster
Well my portfolio will be happy.

And guest always have a choice.

Wait, there are resort fees now? wow!! I had heard about the parking fee, did not hear about the resort fees. how much are they?
Did not mean resort fees meant to say increase room rates, however it would not surprise me if at some point we will see resort fees and yes you have a choice to go or not go

Minnie1976

Parks and Resorts: 9% growth in revenues and 11% growth in operating income for the 4th quarter, 10% growth in revenues and 18% growth in operating income for the fiscal year

Parks and Resorts
Compared to last year’s Q4, Parks and Resorts saw growth of 9% in revenues, from $4.667 billion to $5.070 billion, and 11% in segment operating income, from $746 million to $829 million. The division saw revenues increase from $18.415 billion for fiscal 2017 to $20,296 billion this year — 10% growth year-over-year. Segment operating income jumped 18% for the fiscal year, from $3.774 billion to $4.469 billion'
The growth in operating income was due to increased guest spending and attendance at the domestic parks.

Bob Iger speak--- increased guest spending ----translation our strategy of new resort parking fees, increased park parking fees, increased snack fees, increased resort fees etc etc is paying off. Our guests have no choice but to spend more if they want the magic.
Well he needs to stop taking the magic away. WDW isn’t as magical as it use to be.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Well he needs to stop taking the magic away. WDW isn’t as magical as it use to be.
Sure it is... you just have to pay more to experience it. Want breakfast in the park? That's an upcharge. Want a good view of the parade or fireworks show? That's an upcharge. Want late-night park time? That's an upcharge. Want close-in parking? That's an upcharge... etc.

wendysue

Of course there is increased guest spending at the parks. They are gouging the he** out of everyone. I am confident that it will change, as more guests get there and realize they cannot ever afford to come back. :(

draybook

Why do people always mention their "portfolio" or that they're shareholders? Big whoop, there are probably MILLIONS of people who have shares in Disney. I have some, nobody cares. And "the shareholders are happy" excuse is pathetic when being used to justify what Wall Street Iger is doing to the brand. At one time, quality used to be equal to profit.

Disstevefan1

Parks and resorts will continue to make more and more money. Prices for everything continue to go up, at the same time, attendance continue to go up also. It is scary to think of the mobs that will be at WDW when Star Wars land is open and for the 50th anniversary of WDW in 2021!

Nothing really wrong here, we must all just accept continuing price increases for everything, at the save time accept more and more over crowding at WDW going forward.

And yes, we don't need to go to WDW, but we will anyway....

Minnesota disney fan

Why do people always mention their "portfolio" or that they're shareholders? Big whoop, there are probably MILLIONS of people who have shares in Disney. I have some, nobody cares. And "the shareholders are happy" excuse is pathetic when being used to justify what Wall Street Iger is doing to the brand. At one time, quality used to be equal to profit.

THIS just this, over and over again. Well said draybook!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

THIS just this, over and over again. Well said draybook!
I think it's important to identify when your poster might have a potential conflict of interest or stands to gain from people following their advice in these forums. For example, when someone asks "is it worth the price to go to MVMCP?", those who own stock should say so if they're encouraging people to go. Same goes for anyone advocating higher prices, reduced staffing, additional upcharges, etc. They have a vested interest in getting people to spend more at WDW.

Disstevefan1

Just my opinion, I do not think anything we say on these boards can change the stock price either way!!! There is a lot more complaining on these boards about Disney than rooting for Disney and the stock price continues to climb..

Because no matter what we say or don't say, or what Disney does or doesn't do, Folks just keep coming to the theme parks, buying merch, going to the movies..

Its the "Disney Addiction"....

eliza61nyc

Ouch, could it be because the topic is quarterly earnings and generally when you have a discussion about business and finance, lol well the people who are actively involved in the business and finance will chime in.

This wasn't a thread about what is happening to the brand, this was a thread about 4 quarter earnings. you want to chat about quality going down?

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/why-do-you-believe-wdw-has-gone-downhill.951309/

Yes there are millions of shareholders, we invest TO MAKE MONEY. so yes keeping us happy is important. whether you think its pathetic or not is pretty moot. Wall street needs no justification. they are not there to keep people "happy" wall street is there to make folks money. Once Iger stops doing that for the company he'll be gone.

I recognize people here are emotionally attached to the mouse world but once again I thought this was a "business' conversation considering the title. I make no apologies for wanting the stuff I own to make as much money as humanely possible.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Maybe the cut cast members can get better jobs than working for Disney. They should be flattered for the burden being lifted. Pip pip.

They probably will. My point is Disney creates fake news about "attendance softening" to justify cutting the higher paid cast members and cutting hours of their lower paid cast members..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom