'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

DisneyRunner

My question, where will spectator locations be? I'm sure they won't be allowed on the parkway. Also, a lot of traffic will have to be diverted, as these are major roads/intesections to resorts/parks. Then again, maybe nobody will be out since it's after 10pm.:lol:

fmingo36

Yeah, out & back from hell. :hurl: But the run through ESPN looks interesting. Potential for entertainment? And that Tower finish could be epic.

I was thinking the same thing. The area is big enough and should be well lit.
Also, hopefully, no issues with traffic.

surfsupdon

Glad its posted!!

Bummed the run through MGM is so quick. Seemed like the Wine and Dine and original ToT13K zig and zagged all throughout that park....loved running down Hollywood and Sunset Blvds in the past!!!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Going to be fun...couple tight turns in ESPN looks and a bit off road around the fields possibly which is fine by me.
I saw those tight turns. This will be fun, but slightly disappointing it is majority highway. With that said, I guess that was the only option they had. Im cool with it.

MCC1

Yeah...it does seem to be a bit excessive on the highway...and overlap of the Wine & Dine course to boot...but we're registered & have high hopes it'll come together...fingers crossed

Bug715

The race is sold out now. I just saw the medal for the first time & it will help me with my training. This will be my 3rd RunDisney race. The other 2 have been 5ks so this will be my first metal metal!! This will also be the first race I'm running with someone. My friend Amy did the Princess Marathon 2 years ago so I'm sure I will slow her down but she says she doesn't care and hasn't gotten to train for this one. I can't wait!!!

dreamfinder

As an FYI, apparently they did reopen registration for people on my waitlist. No idea how many, but my father was waitlisted, and just got charged over the weekend for the registration. So if you were on the waitlist, you may be registered now.

MKCP 1985

As an FYI, apparently they did reopen registration for people on my waitlist. No idea how many, but my father was waitlisted, and just got charged over the weekend for the registration. So if you were on the waitlist, you may be registered now.

and the last time I checked, they had closed the waitlist so the only way you could register was to agree to fundraise for the official sponsor, an autism research non-profit.

Congrats to your dad!

val002

Some advice

Hey everyone, :wave:

Looking for some advice -- me and my brother will be running in the ToT 10, and this is our first runDisney event. Since the race doesn't start until 10pm, I am looking for advice on what (and where) we should eat that day. Some people are all for carbo loading, but I am not sure if this is smart if it is done the day of the race? Hoping someone out there can give us some idea of what to do that day leading up to the race. Thanks!!!

joel_maxwell

Looking for some advice -- me and my brother will be running in the ToT 10, and this is our first runDisney event. Since the race doesn't start until 10pm, I am looking for advice on what (and where) we should eat that day. Some people are all for carbo loading, but I am not sure if this is smart if it is done the day of the race? Hoping someone out there can give us some idea of what to do that day leading up to the race. Thanks!!!
I ran a few training runs leadingup to the 10pm Inaugural W&D and my "system" liked this:

Race day
Breakfast: Big carby meal. Way bigger than normal.
Lunch: I ate at the Land Pavilion. Rice, baked chicken a green and water
Dinner: Clif bar and a half a powerade

I didnt feel like I had a brick in my stomach at start, but I wasnt hungry. Just got to make it through the race then you can eat. Hope this helps. :wave:

Texas84

I think someone on this board said it's really what you eat about 24 hours in advance. No, don't load. Eat normal and make sure it doesn't upset your stomach. Sip on a water bottle all day to hydrate. Don't chug it. Fiber could be bad if you know what I mean. When my cuz & I did the W&D I cut off food & drink at 6PM and we did the energy thing right before and during the race.

dreamfinder

I think someone on this board said it's really what you eat about 24 hours in advance. No, don't load. Eat normal and make sure it doesn't upset your stomach. Sip on a water bottle all day to hydrate. Don't chug it. Fiber could be bad if you know what I mean. When my cuz & I did the W&D I cut off food & drink at 6PM and we did the energy thing right before and during the race.

Think about how long it typically takes for your body to break down food. The Mayo clinic says at least 6-8 hours to start to pass through the stomach. And then another 16-48 hours or so to be completely processed. So for a 10pm race, anything you eat after lunch time, you won't be getting the nutrients from. And even lunch might be a stretch. So a good breakfast might be your best bet. But anything after breakfast, you want to eat healthy, and fairly plain so that you will have no problems keeping it in.

Pasta the night before a race typically has 12 hours or so to be processed (assuming 8PM dinner and 8AM start), getting the nutrients into your body. There are people that are now saying that even that doesn't do much for you, that it takes a few days to be stored in something that you body can process during running, and that you should be loading several days out. It's all a matter of what works best for you.

The best thing to do, is to try to simulate the race conditions. Some point between now and then, pick a Saturday night to go for your run. Doesn't necessarily have to be as late as 10, even 7 will help you to see how your body does. Heck, do it a few times trying different things to see what works best. Bodies tend to react very differently to changes in schedule, so trying it out beforehand is the best thing to do.

joel_maxwell

Think about how long it typically takes for your body to break down food. The Mayo clinic says at least 6-8 hours to start to pass through the stomach. And then another 16-48 hours or so to be completely processed. So for a 10pm race, anything you eat after lunch time, you won't be getting the nutrients from. And even lunch might be a stretch. So a good breakfast might be your best bet. But anything after breakfast, you want to eat healthy, and fairly plain so that you will have no problems keeping it in.

Pasta the night before a race typically has 12 hours or so to be processed (assuming 8PM dinner and 8AM start), getting the nutrients into your body. There are people that are now saying that even that doesn't do much for you, that it takes a few days to be stored in something that you body can process during running, and that you should be loading several days out. It's all a matter of what works best for you.

The best thing to do, is to try to simulate the race conditions. Some point between now and then, pick a Saturday night to go for your run. Doesn't necessarily have to be as late as 10, even 7 will help you to see how your body does. Heck, do it a few times trying different things to see what works best. Bodies tend to react very differently to changes in schedule, so trying it out beforehand is the best thing to do.
That is why i crack up when I pass the mile 10 water GU station in races and see people loading up with GU for 3 miles. You could walk the rest of the way and it would have time to benefit you.

MKCP 1985

The worst I ever did was eat some fried chicken on my way to the way to the Tower of Terror 13K. Good chicken - bad timing! :lol:

As for the GU, the training book I have used says the key to avoid the body running out of carbs and starting to burn fat is to replenish carbs during your long run, so that the GU provides a benefit. I have definitely felt a boost after taking a gel at the 1 hour mark and every 45 minutes thereafter when doing a long run.

joel_maxwell

The worst I ever did was eat some fried chicken on my way to the way to the Tower of Terror 13K. Good chicken - bad timing! :lol:

As for the GU, the training book I have used says the key to avoid the body running out of carbs and starting to burn fat is to replenish carbs during your long run, so that the GU provides a benefit. I have definitely felt a boost after taking a gel at the 1 hour mark and every 45 minutes thereafter when doing a long run.
On anything longer than 13, (and especially during my recent 26.2 with no wall) I hit a Honey Stinger 45 minutes in with 4 oz of water, then every 45 after that. Between those 45 minute solids + water, I take about 4oz's of sports drink. Works like a champ. I have only hit a wall once in 2+years.

MKCP 1985

Those honey stingers are legit!

It is looking promising for the entire family to be signing up for the Tower of Terror 5K on Saturday morning. Anybody else doing that early run?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom