Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

Longers

“Let’s go ride Big Thunder,” Em suggested.

We had hoped to get in a couple rides since it is our favorite attraction to ride at night. The posted wait time was 25 minutes! Em then suggested we sample a couple of the complimentary treats while the wait time died down.

I have to give Disney props for the number of snack carts that were available during the party. There was even a cart in the 7DMT queue! Complimentary treats included ice cream, popcorn and bottled water and soft drinks. Over the course of the party I drank $14 worth of bottled water. That’s 4 bottles! :jawdrop: (It was hot, I was thirsty...)

Em and I aren’t huge into popcorn but we certainly wanted to take advantage of free ice cream....if for no other reason than to try our very FIRST Mickey bar. That’s right folks, in all our visits over the years we had never had a Mickey bar!

We grabbed a Mickey bar and an ice cream sandwich and shared them.

View attachment 396541

View attachment 396544

We’ve eaten ice cream sandwiches and so we knew what to expect. This one had cookies and cream ice cream rather than vanilla. We thought we’d really like it, but it didn’t knock our socks off.

View attachment 396543

Neither Em nor I are particularly fond of vanilla ice cream, which was one of our aversions to trying a Mickey bar.

So what did we think?

Drum roll please......🥁🥁🥁

View attachment 396542

Not only were we surprised at how much we liked it, but we wished we’d gotten our own! Neither of us realized that the hard coated shell was dark chocolate.....and c’mon, everything tastes better draped in dark chocolate (amiright, @NunuBelle?!) Em and I now “get” the Mickey bar obsession....we’ve finally been enlightened. :joyfull:

Why didn’t we get another?

It was too late to be eating more ice cream (said @Longers.....NEVER!)

Never too late (or early) for ice cream!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I might someday warm up to (or cool down with) that pool if I ever get over the loss of Hidden Springs Pool. Yeah, I know, as Henley sang, "Get over it."
Sandwich and wings look great.
I took a many dips in the Hidden Springs pool, and I remember not being impressed with the first photographs I saw of its replacement. “Too big! Too open!” were the thoughts that came to mind.

Then I experienced Boulder Ridge for myself. Still had the same feelings of tranquility I had at Hidden Springs, which surprised me. So relaxing. So peaceful.

There is not much shade over the water though which may be a negative for you. Me, I’m a sunflower, so no complaints!

epcotisbest

I took a many dips in the Hidden Springs pool, and I remember not being impressed with the first photographs I saw of its replacement. “Too big! Too open!” were the thoughts that came to mind.

Then I experienced Boulder Ridge for myself. Still had the same feelings of tranquility I had at Hidden Springs, which surprised me. So relaxing. So peaceful.

There is not much shade over the water though which may be a negative for you. Me, I’m a sunflower, so no complaints!

I am a shade kinda guy. I am as white as the sweater in your avatar for a couple of minutes, but leave me out in the sun and I almost immediately change to a lovely shade of sunburn red. The shade was a big draw for me and it stayed shaded for a good part of the morning and then later in the evening too.
It is good to know that the feeling of tranquility and peacefulness still exists at the replacement pool. Good news. Although it does occur to me your pool time is relaxing from your park time, my pool time is usually relaxing from lounge chair time, two different types of tranquility relief.

Last edited:

slipperalwaysfits

. Now, ice cream in a cone.....😍
Man, now I want some Ample Hills! :geek::jawdrop:

I am a shade kinda guy. I am as white as the sweater in your avatar for a couple of minutes, but leave me out in the sun and I almost immediately change to a lovely shade of sunburn red.

IS there anywhere in Disney that offers a bit of shade by the pool? I have to be careful not to turn sunburn red after a few minutes at the pool, much less hours at the park!

epcotisbest

@slipperalwaysfits the Paddock Pool at SSR has a covered area to the right of the grill that has become our shady go to. There are two rows of about eight lounge chairs there, and the back row offers lots of shade, but the Paddock Pool is kinda loud. Early mornings, there is some nice shade at the SSR quiet pool at Congress Park, but the pool becomes full sun exposure by about 10 a.m. or so. Also, the small pool at SSR treehouses is surrounded by trees that give some good morning shade in the pool itself, but it is kinda a walk to get over there from SSR.
There is also nice shade at the pool at AKL Kidani and depending on the time of day, some decent shade at Old Man River pool at POR, but all of these are near the pools, not so shady in the pool itself, especially midday.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

Em and I showered and were relaxing for a bit before heading to DHS, where we had FPs. Our first FP was for the Frozen sing-a-long, which we had not seen in a long time. After all the hullabaloo surrounding Equity Ben, I thought we needed to check out his performance (though I did not know if he was even working this day.)

But fate intervened.

I received a text from Mom, who had just seen a FB post of the new Dream Friend Figment. “If you happen to find yourselves at Epcot, I want him!”

We had no plans to return to Epcot this trip, but I worried that Dream Friend Figment might not be around on my next visit. Mom doesn’t ask for much and since she was caring Poly and Kona, I canceled our Frozen sing-a-long FP and we caught a bus to Epcot.

Figment had only been released here this morning:

C4B3760F-43D0-4E18-91A6-BFCE68FB6B38.jpeg

Em’s sharp eye spied him immediately. There were only 3 in total. She snatched one of him up.

6F37FF57-DF37-47BA-B968-217F2FE760AB.jpeg

As we wandered around Mouse Gear looking at other merchandise, a CM came up to Em and warned, “Don’t put Figment down! I didn’t know we even had any left!”

Em assured her she was not letting go of this apparently rare find!

The store had plenty of unusual (oops, Special Edition 😉) Nalas and Simbas.....

3E863A9E-EC23-4546-832A-018441A93479.jpeg

....and Haunted Mansion leggings. (In EPCOT. 🙄 Does anyone else miss park-specific merch? )

7A30BF12-DA54-4BBA-B556-E893785FCEEE.jpeg

Figment was our only purchase. The CM at checkout asked if we wanted to buy a reusable bag or put Figgy in plastic. Since the forecast called for rain, we quickly chose plastic so he would stay dry.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em mentioned that Soarin’ only had a 20 minute wait. We had not ridden Soarin’ this trip and it’s one of her faves. We still had plenty of time before our next FP at DHS, so we headed for The Land.

The wait had “increased” to 25 minutes.

E87AB7B2-FCF8-425F-9520-8A5EE1128AEC.jpeg

We did not stop walking until we reached here:

404EB3C3-412F-46F1-8BF4-A42086A426E7.jpeg

Definitely NOT 25 minutes, 😂. We had center seats, perfect! Even Figment enjoyed his flight.

Then we continued with our original plan for the evening.

4C6C7BB7-19D6-4AEB-AF23-FE9FD59A8622.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em was right behind me in the security line. I breezed through....even walked through the metal detector....then turned around to find Em.

She was still at the table with a screener. He was being VERY thorough with her. I thought perhaps Figment was the hold-up (which I found amusing) so I took a few pictures.

21C2B9D9-5162-4AE3-BAE6-8E020ADE1CB5.jpeg

But guess who didn’t find my picture taking amusing? A security guard. She quickly informed me that PHOTOS ARE NOT ALLOWED. Not wanting to be a troublemaker I let her watch as I deleted the pics I had taken.

I guess I missed the one I posted above. :angelic:

The Passholder tapstiles were in a different location.

A0365176-FD45-4E69-AA94-BF5F14ECEE52.jpeg

For whatever reason, DHS felt ten times hotter than Epcot. Both of us had broken a sweat just entering the park. And we knew we would not find any relief where we were going.

5A6FD945-C988-45D5-AFFC-C172229080DD.jpeg

I wanted to get our picture with Woody at the entrance to Toy Story Land, but it must have been even too hot for PP photographers ~ there was not a single one in sight.

We love Alien Swirling Saucers, but if not for the FP there was NO WAY we would have waited in the outdoor queue today!

C1DFA825-AB03-45C9-A3B1-E05EC1142BAF.jpeg

You’ll be glad to know I held onto my purse tightly this time and did not cause the ride to stop mid-course.

EEAC3EE1-9E87-48F8-B1A9-46681B63055A.jpeg

Figment enjoyed his ride on Saucers too. :happy:

We found Forky!

7607B23E-B18A-483F-9B17-8DCE3E40388E.jpeg

And saw this billboard as we left TSL.

27F86E88-D6EE-4425-BDA8-D2A801C69D39.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Time to check in for dinner!

09381D81-0278-4B70-92F7-193556AFA0D8.jpeg

Em requested this restaurant because it had been awhile since her last meal at 50s Prime Time Cafe. Woody and I had dined here recently in May. We’d had a good experience so I agreed to keep the ADR. 😉

The lobby was a zoo and so was the bar area. We were getting dehydrated so we squished our way through the crowd until we found the water cooler. Both of us downed two cups of water.

We heard the rumbling of thunder and were glad we were inside. In fact, it thundered the entire time we were at dinner.....but it never rained. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We waited about 15 minutes past our ADR time before we were seated. I was becoming grumpy but had I known what fun and fabulous servers we would end up with, I would have been more patient!

Nick was “Earning his Ears” (though he had recently completed a 3-year stint at The Plaza) and came to say hello first. He told Em to set the table so she did!

B965A692-F03D-4DD2-90AB-2EC2FE560EDB.jpeg

(Prior to the table setting 😉)

Nick took our drink order and left. Moments later Michael appeared and began the same introductory spiel.

“I thought Nick was our server?” I inquired.

“Oh, we’re working tandem,” Michael laughed. And boy, the two of them played so well off each other. It was a hoot!

Figment was safely by my side but I also had an additional dining companion ~ Invisible Mickey!

645EAB49-6C6C-4A95-BBE0-788CFFAA053F.jpeg

I literally just noticed the shadow....how weird is that?!

Michael took our food order. Aunt Liz’s Golden Fried Chicken is my go-to, but Woody had the incredible pot roast in May and now I needed to have it for myself.

C978E811-7A8D-4DFC-920C-CAC254698815.jpeg

Succulent, fork-tender, in a rich, dark gravy.....I made the right choice! :hungry:

Em ordered the chicken. When it arrived with corn, she made a frowny face. “I thought this was supposed to come with green beans?” (Em likes corn; she just likes green beans better.)

EA7F1EC6-25A3-4BA2-AA80-D5B958FBC5A5.jpeg

I began to motion to Michael and Em shot me a look that said, Don’t you dare! She doesn’t like making a fuss in public and would rather choke down the corn than send it back.

But we were at 50’s PT.....the perfect place for making a fuss! Michael came over to check on us and Em gave me a reassuring nod that she was willing to play along.

“Isn’t the chicken supposed to come with green beans?” I asked meekly. “She’d rather not have corn.”
“Oh I can get her GREEN BEANS!!” Michael winked, as both Em and I began to worry how many green beans she’d end up with (and have to eat, lest she be shamed. 🤣)

Fortunately the beans were a normal size portion and Em had no trouble eating them all. And she was very pleased with the chicken.

Nick arrived and sat down next to me to chat before clearing our plates. We talked about The Plaza and the underdressed guests who walked out of California Grill, amongst other things. During that time the table beside us had turned over and we had an unexpected Magic meet with @brifraz and his lovely gals! (Cue: It’s a Small World After All!)

Nick was quick to offer to take pictures of our “family gathering.” When he handed me back “the freakishly small device that takes photographs” (my iPhone) he had snapped at least a dozen pics!

Here are two. I’ll spare you the other ten.

03D690CB-DAB1-47D1-A91B-11CF6D5A9B3C.jpeg

EC6C2D1F-8849-49B7-ADCB-8ACFB8CFE9A5.jpeg

Em and I were too full for dessert and requested the check. I put cash in the wallet and Nick looked at me strangely, as if he wasn’t accustomed to seeing money.

“It’s the 50s, isn’t it?!!” I blurted out.

“Why of course it is!” Nick replied with a grin.

We bid our goodbyes and left the restaurant. That dinner was our favorite meal of the trip!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We had a FP for Tower of Terror.....but we had full bellies.

The sky was ominous.....and it was still thundering.

We’d gotten caught in a monsoon at DHS last month and didn’t feel like a repeat performance. I canceled the FP and we made our way out of the park. As soon as we boarded the bus, the skies open up. We’d beaten the rain!

Back at the Lodge we passed the time waiting for the fireworks by watching TV and indulging ourselves with these soft serve creations. Truth be told, Em and I enjoy this type of ice cream more than Mickey bars.

9375D9B5-4AF6-4DDF-8774-4F297ABA92E3.jpeg

It was foggy and raining when HEA began. Once again we were thankful to be viewing the show from inside our cozy room.

CF36D642-33D9-4A4B-84CA-E2CB9890F733.jpeg

Bedtime was soon after. Tomorrow was our last day and we wanted an early start!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
imma solo traveler and always been afraid of going to 50s primetime

i kinda want to be picked on and corrected on my"bad manners"

will i retain my dignity if i decide to dine there?

I've eaten lunch solo there, but I've eaten at the bar. Yes, you can order a full meal at the bar as well as in the regular restaurant side. I tend to eat at off hours, so I've gone early (maybe 11:30ish, at lunchtime) while there were still plenty of bar stools available. The bartenders were very nice, by the way. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, July 20

I awakened with last-day blues. This trip flew by and I was not ready to leave! Em and I both regretted our choice to fly rather than drive (and we’d really regret flying later) ~ had we driven, we likely would have inquired about extending our stay another day or two. Live and learn!

We did not want to miss our last opportunity to have Mickey waffles, so we got to Roaring Fork early and beat the morning rush.

0715F3C5-54DE-4D82-BAB4-F4D88E90C93C.jpeg

Whipped cream on a white plate does not photograph well! 🤣

Then we returned to our room to finish packing and say goodbye to our lovely view. We also managed to beat the rush to Resort Airline Check In.....after we’d dropped our bags, there was a huge line of people behind us waiting to do the same. I’m sure many of them were still waiting when Em and I were happily on our way to the Magic Kingdom!

DF90501A-FFDE-4C11-AE97-79E138961F3E.jpeg

FD303EB1-D488-44DE-A9ED-3C3380A1729F.jpeg

095F3C25-BDCA-45EF-B76D-988B339CC1AB.jpeg

While we waited for rope drop I asked Em where she wanted to go first. With the walkway beside the castle closed, we’d need to take the long way.

It provided an interesting vantage point for the opening fireworks!

495BF3F0-7265-415F-8778-49ECA0E813FD.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Think of all the joy you’ll find
When you leave the world behind
And bid your cares goodbye....

It was no surprise Em picked Peter Pan first. As we walked the queue I was glad to see that the wads of dollar bills had been removed from the toy cabinet. I never understood the reasoning for sticking money here. I guess it only took one or two people for it to become “a thing”. 🙄

9338943B-BF17-449A-AC72-986D742FF3ED.jpeg

I got to pick the next attraction.

BF8E486F-AA3A-4D6A-88BE-C0398EFE6FBF.jpeg

Ride in a honey pot? Why not!

C48B171B-DD09-49AF-ABB8-684AC5A7504A.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We mutually decided where to go next.

84F0526F-B76E-450E-9B88-E3DF7AD3BB8D.jpeg

Walking behind us through the queue (which is very, very, lengthy amiright?) was a mom and a boy of about six. The boy kept protesting that he did not want to ride because it was going to be scary. The mom reassured him the ride would not be scary....it would be fun! Ariel and Sebastian would be there! We can sing!

The kid wasn’t buying it. To his credit he was not throwing a tantrum or crying. He was just matter-of-fact that the ride was going to be scary. He boarded the clamshell willingly, but he wasn’t taking any chances.

He rode the entire attraction with his hands over his eyes!

It was adorable. I smiled sweetly at the mom who gave me an eye roll and mouthed, I tried.

I wanted to tell her I understood. Once upon a time I too had a stubborn six year old son.....and as hard as it was, I’d go back in time and live through it again.....cause kids grow up way too fast.

Our first FP window had opened.

510F14CE-6416-4767-A711-1ACB3D0F317C.jpeg

AB4E0173-76C4-4052-9805-F8774E9101D8.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom