Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

What restaurant did Em choose over PizzeRizzo?

77B4EAF8-8DC6-4EDD-9964-F1FFACFB9C97.jpeg

Em had not eaten at Sci-Fi in some time. My last two meals there (with Woody) were okay, nothing special, except for the Candy Bar dessert ~ another dark chocolate delicacy, @NunuBelle. The ambiance is always fun, definitely old-school Disney, which I think was the main draw for Em. She has fond memories of dining there with her brothers.....back when free popcorn was served before your food arrived.

We were led to the rear seat of a car in the center of the room, near the concession stand.

E7FB3350-9A0E-4C1C-8D7A-F5518D41030E.jpeg

We watched the screen for a few minutes before our server arrived. The food you can see belonged to the woman in the center of our car (we were in a three seater.)

DBD5D365-E888-48CD-9D87-0A4B6CD2BEE4.jpeg

We were not impressed with our server. He would disappear for long stretches at a time, always when our water glasses needed to be refilled. It was a humid day and we were trying to stay hydrated.

Em did not have her camera with her so apologies for the dark phone pics. But even in good lighting, there was nothing mouth-watering about what arrived.

I ordered the Cheesesteak ~ thinly sliced rib eye steak, caramelized onions and bell peppers served on a toasted hoagie roll topped with provolone and beer-cheese sauce.

82498FB2-9DA6-475B-B898-AE2AFAAA227C.jpeg

The menu description had definitely swayed me. :hungry: However there were NO bell peppers on my sandwich and I could not taste any beer-cheese sauce, leading me to believe it also had been omitted. The “toasted” hoagie roll was stale and I ended up eating the contents with a fork....until I could not longer bear the chewy, fat-laden meat. For $19, I expect a really good (or at least decent) cheesesteak. This was not one.

The accompanying steak fries saved the meal for me. They were hot and crisp. I shared them with Em, because she was not enamored with her selection either.....

Chicken penne pasta tossed in a smoked tomato four cheese cream sauce with baby kale, zucchini and red bell peppers.

82234176-621C-4F0F-8F88-7ECECE9EE540.jpeg

Em was hard-pressed to tell the difference between this and boiled dry penne with Ragu sauce. At least the Parmesan did not come out of a green Kraft canister. To charge $24 for this was a crime.

We agreed to share a dessert. At $9 each, it seemed like a financially savvy choice. While I favored the tried-and-true Candy Bar, I let Em pick.

S’mores brownie and ice cream.

040BEBED-FC04-4EE1-B8AF-CB9BA08ECAAB.jpeg

I had a couple bites and decided that since I did not love it, I’d let Em have the rest. She polished it off.

Safe to say a return visit to Sci-Fi in the near future is unlikely.

Rista1313

Wednesday, con’t

View attachment 388089

Em had not eaten at Sci-Fi in some time. My last two meals there (with Woody) were okay, nothing special, except for the Candy Bar dessert ~ another dark chocolate delicacy, @NunuBelle. The ambiance is always fun, definitely old-school Disney, which I think was the main draw for Em. She has fond memories of dining there with her brothers.....back when free popcorn was served before your food arrived.

We were led to the rear seat of a car in the center of the room, near the concession stand.

View attachment 388102

We watched the screen for a few minutes before our server arrived. The food you can see belonged to the woman in the center of our car (we were in a three seater.)

View attachment 388101

We were not impressed with our server. He would disappear for long stretches at a time, always when our water glasses needed to be refilled. It was a humid day and we were trying to stay hydrated.

Em did not have her camera with her so apologies for the dark phone pics. But even in good lighting, there was nothing mouth-watering about what arrived.

I ordered the Cheesesteak ~ thinly sliced rib eye steak, caramelized onions and bell peppers served on a toasted hoagie roll topped with provolone and beer-cheese sauce.

View attachment 388104

The menu description had definitely swayed me. :hungry: However there were NO bell peppers on my sandwich and I could not taste any beer-cheese sauce, leading me to believe it also had been omitted. The “toasted” hoagie roll was stale and I ended up eating the contents with a fork....until I could not longer bear the chewy, fat-laden meat. For $19, I expect a really good (or at least decent) cheesesteak. This was not one.

The accompanying steak fries saved the meal for me. They were hot and crisp. I shared them with Em, because she was not enamored with her selection either.....

Chicken penne pasta tossed in a smoked tomato four cheese cream sauce with baby kale, zucchini and red bell peppers.

View attachment 388103

Em was hard-pressed to tell the difference between this and boiled dry penne with Ragu sauce. At least the Parmesan did not come out of a green Kraft canister. To charge $24 for this was a crime.

We agreed to share a dessert. At $9 each, it seemed like a financially savvy choice. While I favored the tried-and-true Candy Bar, I let Em pick.

View attachment 388105

I had a couple bites and decided that since I did not love it, I’d let Em have the rest. She polished it off.

I finally talked DH out of this and into Mama Melrose for September. I just want the shake!

93boomer

Premium Member
Wednesday, con’t

View attachment 388089

View attachment 388102

View attachment 388101

View attachment 388104

View attachment 388103

View attachment 388105

We had the same bad experience with food the last time we ate there. It's been years so we haven't been back either.

lindawdw

Yes, we were very disappointed in our meal and service last time we ate there and decided it would be a long time before we went back. Your meal doesn't look very appetizing I'm sorry to say and the prices are way to expensive for what you get in my opinion. :(

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Wednesday, con’t

View attachment 388089

View attachment 388102

View attachment 388101

View attachment 388104

View attachment 388103

View attachment 388105

That is a sad looking sandwich!, and Em's pasta isn't looking any better. Hmmm... deceiving menu descriptions. :bored:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

MinnieM123

Premium Member
What keeps Sci-Fi open is the fun atmosphere. From what I've read down through the years, the food has always been mediocre and the service is somewhat sporadic. I ate there once quite a few years ago, and I thought the drive-in "cars" and the cheezy movies were a riot.

Think I had a burger, but I remember they put fries when I asked for some sort of cucumber salad (they had two choices at that time: fries or the salad -- haven't a clue what's on the menu now now). Waitress was funny and all, but she often was MIA. (I was under the impression that perhaps the wait staff were assigned too many tables. The place was packed, by the way.)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

Our after-lunch plan was to use our two remaining FPs. The first one required a return to Toy Story Land.

Another construction wall. They seem to be everywhere.
2A9302D4-119D-44DD-AFE9-663665F62A8B.jpeg

The last time I captured Em in this spot there was a huge Christmas Tree and floating ornaments behind her!

D313D5B2-A7D2-4427-AB1A-D07A28A7FC38.jpeg

Did you notice the clouds in the pictures above? They were rolling in fast. The wind had picked up. We had checked the radar earlier and saw big green blobs headed our way.

We couldn’t bear the thought of losing our coveted FP.

I am not sure who is more disgruntled ~ the people waiting in the two hour standby line, or the CM holding the end-of-the-line sign.

F8469E9B-E844-4378-B870-364A3B4F5EA1.jpeg

Em and I agreed we wouldn’t even bother joining the standby line now with a possible storm approaching. We also suspected there would be A LOT of grumbly guests who had waited those two hours if the ride were to shut down for inclement weather.

We entered the FP line hoping we’d get our chance to ride.

3BA90A5A-E63C-411C-A371-A5BDE1F32FFF.jpeg

No sooner had we scanned our bands that a “weather announcement” was made. The attraction would continue to operate as long as it was safe to do so. The black sky indicated time was short. My heart began to race a little.

The FP line wasn’t too long but the passing moments felt like hours. As we inched closer to the front a CM called out for a party of two. My hand shot up. We were told to wait in Row 3.

We’d never ridden in the front of Slinky before. Was it going to be a lesser experience, like the front of BTMRR? At this point we didn’t even care!

When Slinky left the station Em and I high-fived.

Guess what happens when you forget where the camera is? :facepalm:

3907787C-2056-4E2F-92C4-93926EDB5830.jpeg

Wheezy welcomed us back!

8D122C04-2D70-4B4B-918D-879B16162BE7.jpeg

What a fun ride! I think I prefer riding in front!

We had barely made it through the exit when the sky went BOOM!!

We left a trail of very unhappy people behind us.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Wednesday, con’t

Our after-lunch plan was to use our two remaining FPs. The first one required a return to Toy Story Land.

Another construction wall. They seem to be everywhere.
View attachment 388124

The last time I captured Em in this spot there was a huge Christmas Tree and floating ornaments behind her!

View attachment 388130

Did you notice the clouds in the pictures above? They were rolling in fast. The wind had picked up. We had checked the radar earlier and saw big green blobs headed our way.

We couldn’t bear the thought of losing our coveted FP.

I am not sure who is more disgruntled ~ the people waiting in the two hour standby line, or the CM holding the end-of-the-line sign.

View attachment 388125

Em and I agreed we wouldn’t even bother joining the standby line now with a possible storm approaching. We also suspected there would be A LOT of grumbly guests who had waited those two hours if the ride were to shut down for inclement weather.

We entered the FP line hoping we’d get our chance to ride.

View attachment 388126

No sooner had we scanned our bands that a “weather announcement” was made. The attraction would continue to operate as long as it was safe to do so. The black sky indicated time was short. My heart began to race a little.

The FP line wasn’t too long but the passing moments felt like hours. As we inched closer to the front a CM called out for a party of two. My hand shot up. We were told to wait in Row 3.

We’d never ridden in the front of Slinky before. Was it going to be a lesser experience, like the front of BTMRR? At this point we didn’t even care!

When Slinky left the station Em and I high-fived.

Guess what happens when you forget where the camera is? :facepalm:

View attachment 388128

Wheezy welcomed us back!

View attachment 388129

What a fun ride! I think I prefer riding in front!

We had barely made it through the exit when the sky went BOOM!!

We left a trail of very unhappy people behind us.
There's those ominous clouds again!
Cue the villain tune, dun-dun duuun :oops:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
What keeps Sci-Fi open is the fun atmosphere.
You’re exactly right!

I like tequila, but it doesn't like me back =(
I hate tequila.
Wait.....
We are not starting the next gen 🥑 debate!

You Tuvalu'd Slinky Dog Dash!! (I explained the Tuvalu to P on our trip :hilarious: )
Oh my goodness, I sure did! 🤣

So glad that you got on SDD before the storm hit!!! That wait time is crazy and I'm sure there were a lot of unhappy campers when the rains came down!
We were VERY glad!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

Though it wasn’t raining, Em and I made a beeline towards the park exit. We’d decided to sacrifice our 3rd FP.

I requested a quick restroom stop. I was fast, but the break in our journey to the bus stop came with a price.

A costly one. I’m still not sure Em has forgiven me. :cautious:

It happened so fast. One moment we were dry and the next.....not so dry. We raced to the overhang of the new security area. Em managed to pull on her rain jacket and we popped open our umbrellas. We were not allowed to remain under the overhang and had to venture to the bus stop.

The torrent was blowing sideways and our “protection” was useless. We got soaked.

729E5B31-177E-4D53-AA81-82794B288369.jpeg

Riding wet on a bus with the a/c blasting was delightful.

Every day of our stay, our room had been serviced by early afternoon. Every day except today. The housekeeper was preparing to enter our room as Em and I arrived. We did an about-face and went to one of the lounge areas. We warmed ourselves by the fire.

E2885135-FFFB-469A-B91D-2EDE230B9138.jpeg

We hung out here for about a half hour.

EF688E1B-BDDA-4A8C-BC4B-227148B6D46D.jpeg

My clothes were dry in a jiffy thanks to the fire. Em opted to shower and change before her nap.

The storm lasted a while longer but the sunshine returned around 4 pm. I checked the evening forecast and radar and was happy to see zero probability for showers.

The rain rain rain
Had stopped stopped stopped
For the rest of our vacation!!!

We had one thing to do prior to leaving the Lodge for our final evening at the MK. As her Mother’s Day gift to me, Em wanted to treat us to the Happily Ever After Dessert Party. But I insisted she not purchase the tickets in advance....neither of us would handle the stress of anticipating, “what if it rains the night of the party?” very well.

We went to the lobby to speak with the concierge. There was no availability for the dessert party prior to HEA.

But there was availability at the after party! 🎉

Em purchased our tickets and we made our way to the MK.

lindawdw

Ugh, there's nothing worse than being soaked and having to sit on a Disney bus with the A/C blasting. :( The fireplaces at WL are so gorgeous and the perfect place for a respite and to dry off! How fun that you got to visit with Mickey and Minnie in their party outfits! Em's shorts go really well with Mickey and Minnie's outfits! Can't wait to hear about the dessert party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom