Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

Gurt

All caught up, sorry you had a bad start to your trip being sick (and sorry you still are)! Boma guy just no how rude, and pool kids again just rude. That's a lot of rain you guys had lucky it didn't spoil your trip. Storybook doesn't sound like a good experience for you I don't think the menu looks like my cup of tea.
However sorry to go back to the Yorkshire pudding but @Tiggertoo56 Please can you give me your recipe for your toad in the hole I can not make it for love nor money I have made my own batter, I have tried it with shop bought mix, I have tried halving the quantity, I have tried different dishes, different sausages, you get the idea but mine always end up burnt on top and raw underneath?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
After the Farm Ride we took a moment to discuss what to do next. Originally I thought we would walk around World Showcase and grab dinner at one of the QS locations. Maybe even stay for Illuminations.

But Em wasn’t feeling it. The humidity was still high and she didn’t have the energy to make the trek.

Knowing what would make her happy, I quickly shared my Plan B and she readily agreed. However there were two things I wanted to do first ~ stop in the Art Of Disney store and try again for a PP picture in front of Spaceship Earth.

Art of Disney was a successful stop. I found an Illuminations print my son would like and Em bought a beautiful puzzle.

Near the park exit were two PP Photographers. YES!! One CM was working with a large family (which I knew would take awhile) and the other was taking pictures of a couple. When the couple left Em and I scooted in front of the planter. The CM had told the couple to sit on the edge of the planter but we weren’t given any instruction to sit or stand. After an awkward moment Em and I sat down.

The CM gave a thumbs up indicating our photos had been taken. As I approached the CM to have my band scanned, I was asked, “And what are your plans for this evening?”

It wasn’t the first time a PP Photographer had asked me that question. I glanced at his name tag.

Callan.

I now present to you Callan’s finest work:

Callan is an expert in invisible photography!

I bet his mother is quite proud.

Em and I headed up the monorail ramp. She pointed out a giant hole in the former Universe of Energy pavilion.
We are curious as to what the final product will look like when Guardians of the Galaxy opens.

90737ECA-8B5F-4BD3-8482-E3D2A81CF49B.jpeg

We must have just missed a monorail because there were few guests on the platform and Em had plenty of time to surf.

64DC86F7-E5B5-4EBC-9D17-E4FF7E381052.jpeg

When the monorail arrived two people who were in the car we boarded did not get out. What made the situation especially unusual was the health of the occupants.

It was an elderly Pooh-size couple. They were sitting on the bench. The man was obviously sick, as he was on oxygen and had his leg propped on a complimentary Epcot wheelchair which was in the center of the car. He had an open wound on his foot.

The woman had one leg in a medical boot and one arm in a cast.

Both of them were sweaty and breathing heavily.

A CM asked if they needed assistance disembarking. The man replied, “No, we are just riding the monorail around as we wait for my EVC battery to charge.”

Em and I stared at each other. We had so many questions. Where were the rest of this couples party? Surely they were not touring the parks alone?

Where was the ECV charging? The incapacitated woman certainly could not have pushed her husband all the way up a monorail ramp.

Why didn’t they choose to wait in the coolness of a QS restaurant or store rather than on a stuffy monorail where the a/c is marginal at best?

But mostly.....in their conditions, WHY are they at WDW at all? In JUNE??!!

We were honestly concerned for both of them.

Upon arrival at the TTC, another CM asked if he could assist them. They said no and continued on the monorail back to Epcot.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our pilgrimage was to the motherland.

2E8851F8-0E18-4A7D-9251-C67B2F1B6DD6.jpeg

Those trees behind Em with the yellow flowers.....❤❤❤

B30513D1-0F89-467F-981F-9646980250F3.jpeg

The sky was overcast and there was a good chance of rain, so we would not attempt Trader Sam’s Tiki Terrace tonight.....again.

However, Em’s favorite libation cannot be found at the Tiki Terrace. It can only be found at one location.

628E59FB-2F4F-4228-9E19-59AFB1CF5D8B.jpeg

We climbed the stairs to the Tambu Lounge. Em thought the refurbishments were very nice. We ordered two Island Sunsets. The bartender asked if we wanted them “here” or “to go.”

Since we wanted to drink the Island Sunsets with food we ordered them to go.

Back down the stairs to Capt. Cooks. Em found a table while I ordered.

1AF69DBC-77D3-4D54-B241-C81846EF48D5.jpeg

A big smile for Plan B!

What goes great with an Island Sunset? Poly chips!

But we already knew that. What we did not know was how excellent a Hawaiian flatbread tastes while sipping an Island Sunset. :hungry:

E3CB6BCE-8CC4-4143-BE31-B8C25FCB22CB.jpeg

Em and I soaked in the tropical atmosphere. Yup, this was better than a sweaty stroll through World Showcase.

“And we can take the boat over to MK!” I said enthusiastically.

The words had no sooner left my lips when BOOM!

“It’s gonna have to be monorail,” Em winked.

Monorail it was.

There was still rolling thunder when we exited at the MK station. We power walked to the WL bus stop.

ED4DD0B4-5030-4155-9C0A-9B8B35FD4797.jpeg

Spash007

FP #1 used, moving on to #2 and #3.

View attachment 385662

We did not have good seats in the glider. Lots of bendy, odd-shaped landmarks for us.

View attachment 385667

We had better seats on The Farm Ride. Front row!

View attachment 385668

View attachment 385663

View attachment 385664

View attachment 385665

View attachment 385666

As our boat passed the fish tanks, a woman sitting behind us announced, “I have a fear of fish!”

Never heard someone claim that before. 🐟🐡🐠

Confession time - I'm afraid of fish. I don't know if it's their eyes, the slippery scales or they way they move, but I find them uncomfortable to the point of fear. I don't know where this fear came from, but I remember in 4th grade exposing this fear, and a girl in my class using that to point out whenever there were pictures of fish anywhere. I believe it came from when I was at River Country for the last time, and one of the "pools" were swarmed with dead fish (that may be an overstatement, but in a young kids' eyes that was how it seemed). I still can picture being on the line for a slide, and another young boy picking one of them up showing it to me and swinging it around :oops:. My gag reflex just confirmed that's the source....

But my fear tends to be selective - I don't mind tropical fish. My grandparents lived on the water, and we would fish when I was younger (but I refused to take their hooks out or touch them). But in college, my friend and I went to a specialty food store, and down the aisle was this monster of a fish laying on ice. Had to at least be 3 ft long. I started fainting, no lie. I had to grab his arm (super cool for a 21 year old guy btw) and turned around and sped walked out. Now I'm getting a bit better, but depending on their size and their face, I still get light headed. This is the reason why I've told K that Skippers Canteen can't be on our list, since they serve whole fish. I love Living with the Land, but hope I never get stuck in that room.

Funny story though - 2 years ago, C wanted to play a game at the Church carnival to win fish. She won two before "we wanted a chance" (aka missed on purpose). The one, Bob, lasted 3 days. The other, Kludoff (we let her name it, we think it's a combination of Kristoff and Rudolph), is still alive and is huge. When his water needs to be changed, I'll help clean the stuff, but won't move him out of the tank. However, when K was pregnant I had to. Putting this fish in a net, and then moving him into a bowl was beyond terrifying for me, and hysterical for K to watch. Afterwards she said that she didn't know any human could reach the decibel of the sound I made as moving his flopping body, picture him jumping out and either touching me, or getting picked up by the dog. :oops:

Trying to justify myself one day, I looked it up and it actually has a name - ichthyophobia!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Funny story though - 2 years ago, C wanted to play a game at the Church carnival to win fish. She won two before "we wanted a chance" (aka missed on purpose). The one, Bob, lasted 3 days. The other, Kludoff (we let her name it, we think it's a combination of Kristoff and Rudolph), is still alive and is huge. When his water needs to be changed, I'll help clean the stuff, but won't move him out of the tank. However, when K was pregnant I had to. Putting this fish in a net, and then moving him into a bowl was beyond terrifying for me, and hysterical for K to watch. Afterwards she said that she didn't know any human could reach the decibel of the sound I made as moving his flopping body, picture him jumping out and either touching me, or getting picked up by the dog. :oops:

Trying to justify myself one day, I looked it up and it actually has a name - ichthyophobia!

Given your fear, kudos for taking care of the fish when your wife couldn’t - that must not have been easy!

Tiggertoo56

All caught up, sorry you had a bad start to your trip being sick (and sorry you still are)! Boma guy just no how rude, and pool kids again just rude. That's a lot of rain you guys had lucky it didn't spoil your trip. Storybook doesn't sound like a good experience for you I don't think the menu looks like my cup of tea.
However sorry to go back to the Yorkshire pudding but @Tiggertoo56 Please can you give me your recipe for your toad in the hole I can not make it for love nor money I have made my own batter, I have tried it with shop bought mix, I have tried halving the quantity, I have tried different dishes, different sausages, you get the idea but mine always end up burnt on top and raw underneath?
Will deal with it when I'm back home at present in sunny Cornwall having a welcome break from work.😎

93boomer

Premium Member
Our pilgrimage was to the motherland.

View attachment 385762

Those trees behind Em with the yellow flowers.....❤❤❤

View attachment 385763

The sky was overcast and there was a good chance of rain, so we would not attempt Trader Sam’s Tiki Terrace tonight.....again.

However, Em’s favorite libation cannot be found at the Tiki Terrace. It can only be found at one location.

View attachment 385764

We climbed the stairs to the Tambu Lounge. Em thought the refurbishments were very nice. We ordered two Island Sunsets. The bartender asked if we wanted them “here” or “to go.”

Since we wanted to drink the Island Sunsets with food we ordered them to go.

Back down the stairs to Capt. Cooks. Em found a table while I ordered.

View attachment 385765

A big smile for Plan B!

What goes great with an Island Sunset? Poly chips!

But we already knew that. What we did not know was how excellent a Hawaiian flatbread tastes while sipping an Island Sunset. :hungry:

View attachment 385766

Em and I soaked in the tropical atmosphere. Yup, this was better than a sweaty stroll through World Showcase.

“And we can take the boat over to MK!” I said enthusiastically.

The words had no sooner left my lips when BOOM!

“It’s gonna have to be monorail,” Em winked.

Monorail it was.

There was still rolling thunder when we exited at the MK station. We power walked to the WL bus stop.

View attachment 385767
Ok now I’ve got to have both the drink and the flatbread!!!! :hungry:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Confession time - I'm afraid of fish. I don't know if it's their eyes, the slippery scales or they way they move, but I find them uncomfortable to the point of fear. I don't know where this fear came from, but I remember in 4th grade exposing this fear, and a girl in my class using that to point out whenever there were pictures of fish anywhere. I believe it came from when I was at River Country for the last time, and one of the "pools" were swarmed with dead fish (that may be an overstatement, but in a young kids' eyes that was how it seemed). I still can picture being on the line for a slide, and another young boy picking one of them up showing it to me and swinging it around :oops:. My gag reflex just confirmed that's the source....

But my fear tends to be selective - I don't mind tropical fish. My grandparents lived on the water, and we would fish when I was younger (but I refused to take their hooks out or touch them). But in college, my friend and I went to a specialty food store, and down the aisle was this monster of a fish laying on ice. Had to at least be 3 ft long. I started fainting, no lie. I had to grab his arm (super cool for a 21 year old guy btw) and turned around and sped walked out. Now I'm getting a bit better, but depending on their size and their face, I still get light headed. This is the reason why I've told K that Skippers Canteen can't be on our list, since they serve whole fish. I love Living with the Land, but hope I never get stuck in that room.

I appreciate your courage in sharing your fear and can understand how it came to fruition.
And I learned a new word! :bookworm:
Em’s first pet was a fish she named Bobbert ~ she and C are like-minded!

Ok now I’ve got to have both the drink and the flatbread!!!! :hungry:
Pro Tip: BYOS (Bring Your Own Straw)
Paper straws and frozen drinks do not mix! I ended up having to drink my Island Sunset strawless.

We have many photographers like Callan up here

What you have there is a clear as day pic of a polar bear in a snow storm

Good job Callan , good job

Max
Thanks for helping me SEE clearly, Max!

And the crowd went wild!!! CALLAN! CALLAN! CALLAN!!!

View attachment 385884

:p
LOL! LOL!! LOL!!!

93boomer

Premium Member
I appreciate your courage in sharing your fear and can understand how it came to fruition.
And I learned a new word! :bookworm:
Em’s first pet was a fish she named Bobbert ~ she and C are like-minded!

Paper straws and frozen drinks do not mix! I ended up having to drink my Island Sunset strawless.

Thanks for helping me SEE clearly, Max!

LOL! LOL!! LOL!!!
Note taken😉

Rista1313

I bought some foldable silicone straws for this next trip... but they stink to high heaven.... I washed them, and now I'm going to let them sit out and see if the stench will go away, otherwise I"m going to need a plan b.

Tips for lids?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom