Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Now the food.

I ordered the Prime Rib merely for something that accompanied it ~ a popover. (Otherwise known as Yorkshire pudding to our British friends.)

I adore the warm, buttery, light-but-chewy texture of a popover. It had been years since I tasted one. Woody and I had popovers at our wedding reception. It was a specialty of the restaurant. Jiffy made a popover mix that I used during our early years of marriage. But once we moved to GA, our popover consumption ceased. Can’t find ‘em anywhere.

The popover tasted just like I remembered. Absolutely delish. Em had no idea what a popover was and I gave her a piece. I believe her reaction was, “Wow!”

63E1B77A-95A7-4C92-B82F-7428CFB986C6.jpeg

Horseradish mashed potatoes were supposed to accompany this dish. Not being a horseradish fan, I asked if I could substitute them with the fingerling potatoes that came with the chicken.

Instead I received roasted red potatoes....which had no flavor at all. The carrots didn’t have much flavor either. Both went uneaten.

But the Prime Rib?

You know how one bite of food can instantly transport you back in time, usually to a happy place? I was suddenly a child sitting at my grandparents’ dining room table feasting on my grandmother’s Prime Rib. Her Prime Rib was AMAZING. So good, in fact, that my mother tried to duplicate it for years and never could (and she eventually stopped trying.)

The meat on my plate was Grandma-Tuvalu worthy. Perfect temperature, perfect doneness, not too fatty, packed full of flavor. (Maybe the veggies sacrificed their flavor for the Prime Rib!)

Em regretted her decision to order the chicken. It tasted like....chicken. Nothing special. The fingerling potatoes were nothing to rave about either.

F699E61B-81CF-4CC4-8F5E-DFC41383BC11.jpeg

Though we weren’t real excited about the dessert selections (Miner’s Treasure, Gooseberry Pie, ‘Poison’ Apple) we did like the “dirt cup”. The dark chocolate apple mousse was meh. (Apparently there is a dark chocolate dessert I don’t care for, @NunuBelle! 😂) We didn’t touch the Gooseberry Pie.

0D131D1B-93D9-4D63-8338-B6660199DBDA.jpeg

The final “dessert” presentation was impressive, even though we did not partake of it.

FEA6EC36-3961-4E22-BFDC-DAF0CDD301D1.jpeg

We settled our bill (FYI Artist Point does not accept Tables in Wonderland but offers a 10% food discount for AP/DVC) and went to see the Wicked Queen (now that we were allowed to stand up, since we had finished dinner. 🙄)

The Wicked Queen was MIA.

We had no idea how long she would be gone and did not feel like waiting.

Overall, we are glad we tried Storybook Dining though likely won’t return. I agree with @ELeigh ‘s assessment and share her mixed feelings about the meal. Em decided the entire experience was odd (“it’s fine dining coupled with silliness”) and better suited for a cruise ship, not a hotel restaurant. (She’s cruised DCL and knows of what she speaks.)

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Now the food.

I ordered the Prime Rib merely for something that accompanied it ~ a popover. (Otherwise known as Yorkshire pudding to our British friends.)

I adore the warm, buttery, light-but-chewy texture of a popover. It had been years since I tasted one. Woody and I had popovers at our wedding reception. It was a specialty of the restaurant. Jiffy made a popover mix that I used during our early years of marriage. But once we moved to GA, our popover consumption ceased. Can’t find ‘em anywhere.

The popover tasted just like I remembered. Absolutely delish. Em had no idea what a popover was and I gave her a piece. I believe her reaction was, “Wow!”

View attachment 385024

Horseradish mashed potatoes were supposed to accompany this dish. Not being a horseradish fan, I asked if I could substitute them with the fingerling potatoes that came with the chicken.

Instead I received roasted red potatoes....which had no flavor at all. The carrots didn’t have much flavor either. Both went uneaten.

But the Prime Rib?

You know how one bite of food can instantly transport you back in time, usually to a happy place? I was suddenly a child sitting at my grandparents’ dining room table feasting on my grandmother’s Prime Rib. Her Prime Rib was AMAZING. So good, in fact, that my mother tried to duplicate it for years and never could (and she eventually stopped trying.)

The meat on my plate was Grandma-Tuvalu worthy. Perfect temperature, perfect doneness, not too fatty, packed full of flavor. (Maybe the veggies sacrificed their flavor for the Prime Rib!)

Em regretted her decision to order the chicken. It tasted like....chicken. Nothing special. The fingerling potatoes were nothing to rave about either.

View attachment 385027

Though we weren’t real excited about the dessert selections (Miner’s Treasure, Gooseberry Pie, ‘Poison’ Apple) we did like the “dirt cup”. The dark chocolate apple mousse was meh. (Apparently there is a dark chocolate dessert I don’t care for, @NunuBelle! 😂) We didn’t touch the Gooseberry Pie.

View attachment 385025

The final “dessert” presentation was impressive, even though we did not partake of it.

View attachment 385026

We settled our bill (FYI Artist Point does not accept Tables in Wonderland but offers a 10% food discount for AP/DVC) and went to see the Wicked Queen (now that we were allowed to stand up, since we had finished dinner. 🙄)

Overall, we are glad we tried Storybook Dining though likely won’t return. I agree with @ELeigh ‘s assessment and share her mixed feelings about the meal. Em decided the entire experience was odd (“it’s fine dining coupled with silliness”) and better suited for a cruise ship, not a hotel restaurant. (She’s cruised DCL and knows of what she speaks.)
Oh no! Sorry about you not liking the dark chocolate dessert :(, Frank would have enjoyed that Prime Rib, though! 😄

I've been considering trying Artist Point, but after reading your comments, maybe not! I don't know if I'd like to be scolded while dining (or at all, for that matter! 😉). The very loud atmosphere is not my cup of tea either.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Original Poster
“I think I’d like to get my sunglasses adjusted,” said Em. “They keep sliding down my nose.”

Well I never turn down an opportunity to go to MK!

We took the boat for a change.

B8B66BE5-1E1C-4491-9F6B-93D775AE4D75.jpeg

Here it comes!

191E9482-9EB6-4B44-841C-534644A7BA68.jpeg

78EF0D7F-3861-4E40-8FF4-8CC42DAB22CC.jpeg

We found seats up front.

60070609-BFCA-422D-8904-D23E48F8CF78.jpeg

21633819-09AC-47E5-8B06-ACC0841AE023.jpeg

As we waited to sail, I booked us some FPs.

Em nudged me and pointed to a glass bottle of pale ale which the owner was trying to hide.

0C15A918-BB30-4654-88D3-B1AD7F3ED529.jpeg

No judgment about the beer drinking, but we were curious about what would happen with the glass bottle.
(The screener at the boat dock security station made the guy pour out the contents and throw the bottle in the trash.)

As we approached MK, I was concerned about the dark sky......

478FD710-FD0C-47BB-B6F6-D2FE6BE9EDB2.jpeg

Minnesota disney fan

Popovers are fantastic. One of our favorite local restaurants were famous for them. But the restaurant sold, and the new owners did a complete turn about. They had fancy, little bitty meals for high prices. No popovers!!!! That restaurant eventually failed and closed.
Loving your trip report. I can't believe how the servers made such an issue of you staying sat down. ???? It's not like you are 6 y/o's running amuck! Can't wait for the rest.....

slipperalwaysfits

I had the impression that the menu at Storybook dining is seasonal - or am I wrong?
Every time we've looked at the menu, it doesn't appear to have changed much. We'll be passing on this because the menu just doesn't appeal much to us.

AWWWWWWWWWWW Nostalgia is special! When you have a food item or a drink that takes you immediately back to a special place and time with special people! I'm so glad you got to have a popover and enjoy your past memories and share them with Em!

I was suddenly a child sitting at my grandparents’ dining room table feasting on my grandmother’s Prime Rib. Her Prime Rib was AMAZING. So good, in fact, that my mother tried to duplicate it for years and never could (and she eventually stopped trying.)

YES. YES YES. To all this. I am so glad the prime rib was that good, that it gave you warm fuzzies of a happy time in your life. My husband's mom makes an amazing gravy but she's never written the recipe down and can't describe it to her kids. They've both tried to make it and it doesn't come out even close to my MIL's.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I adore the warm, buttery, light-but-chewy texture of a popover. It had been years since I tasted one.

THIS!!! There was an upscale restaurant (sold about 15 years ago), in my area that had an excellent menu. They would have a waitress walk around the restaurant with a basket of popovers. You could have as many as you wanted. They were warm and delicious--nirvana. Memories ...

And as for prime rib, that's also difficult to find -- not many places serve it, and if they do, it's usually restricted to one night a week on a menu.

Food trends come and go, and I'm hoping that some of the more "retro" menus will make a comeback.

BuckyMom

THIS!!! There was an upscale restaurant (sold about 15 years ago), in my area that had an excellent menu. They would have a waitress walk around the restaurant with a basket of popovers. You could have as many as you wanted. They were warm and delicious--nirvana. Memories ...

And as for prime rib, that's also difficult to find -- not many places serve it, and if they do, it's usually restricted to one night a week on a menu.

Food trends come and go, and I'm hoping that some of the more "retro" menus will make a comeback.
Come to Wisconsin. Prime rib on the menu everywhere. It's almost always the Saturday night special. Popovers - yep, we have them but usually with a touch of cheese in the batter (hey, what can I say?).

susan lees

Now the food.

View attachment 385024

But the Prime Rib?

View attachment 385027

View attachment 385025

View attachment 385026

Popovers. Everyday is a school day lol. I love Yorkshire puddings and a good one reminds me of my mum's homemade ones. I myself have stopped trying to emulate her perfect recipe 💕

Loco_driver

We aren’t good at making conversation with characters (face or non-face, @Loco_driver 😉) yet none of them hurried to move on from us, or from families at other tables. The interactions were heartfelt, not obligatory.

I will say that the character interactions at the table were great, even Snow White. She even sent a sweet message to our niece through our”magic mirror” aka cell phone, she was great! Glad you enjoyed your main course, I regret not ordering the prime rib. Also that gooseberry pie was shockingly good!

MickeyCB

We ate at Storybook Dining the first week it opened in Dec. (I wrote a small review on this blog), and we enjoyed it very much.
But, our experience was different in that, we weren't at all scolded regarding sitting, all of the tables were not filled and our waiter was very attentive.
The characters were spot on, and the evil queen was awesome in her (evil way)!
We were on the dining plan and it was a great use of one credit, paying cash, probably not so much.

Megbutnotmegan

Popovers!!! My grandpa used to make these for breakfast when I was a kid. My grandparents were very traditional and so my grandma did all the cooking. It was a huge deal the mornings when grandpa made them! One year he gave all my uncles and my dad a popover pan for Christmas because he decided every man needed to make them 😂 Thanks for bringing back these memories 😍

Tiggertoo56

Love the feedback on Artist Point - we rarely fo table service meals whilst in the world, but were thinking of it for our next trip (not till 2021☹).
In the UK popovers are known as Yorkshire puddings and the batter is also used for pancakes (sorry not buttermilk ones) and also for something we know as "toad in the hole" or sausages in batter. This was my recent attempt.
20190519_174443.jpg

Tashifer90

I'm late to the party but loving your trip report! Wilderness lodge is my Parents DVC home resort and seeing it always brings back lovely memories.

In case you feel the urge to try your own hand at popovers (yorkshire puddings) this is the recipe I use that never fails to produce good puds! When I first left home (I live about 45 mins from yorkshire so I know good yorkshire puds!) this was the recipe suggested to me when i first tried my hand at them :)

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Popovers are fantastic. One of our favorite local restaurants were famous for them. But the restaurant sold, and the new owners did a complete turn about. They had fancy, little bitty meals for high prices. No popovers!!!! That restaurant eventually failed and closed.
Both of these posts make me :cry:

But these posts make me :happy: and :hungry:
My hubby makes pop overs occasionally.
Popovers - yep, we have them but usually with a touch of cheese in the batter (hey, what can I say?).
Popovers!!! My grandpa used to make these for breakfast when I was a kid. My grandparents were very traditional and so my grandma did all the cooking. It was a huge deal the mornings when grandpa made them! One year he gave all my uncles and my dad a popover pan for Christmas because he decided every man needed to make them 😂 Thanks for bringing back these memories 😍
In the UK popovers are known as Yorkshire puddings and the batter is also used for pancakes (sorry not buttermilk ones) and also for something we know as "toad in the hole" or sausages in batter. This was my recent attempt.
View attachment 385234

This one makes me positively giddy!
I'm late to the party but loving your trip report! Wilderness lodge is my Parents DVC home resort and seeing it always brings back lovely memories.

In case you feel the urge to try your own hand at popovers (yorkshire puddings) this is the recipe I use that never fails to produce good puds! When I first left home (I live about 45 mins from yorkshire so I know good yorkshire puds!) this was the recipe suggested to me when i first tried my hand at them :)

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings

@riverside maybe we should give this recipe a try?
I've never heard of it either. I just googled the recipe to see what it consisted of. Not that I'd ever make them since I don't cook!!:hilarious: They look good though!!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Artist Point was one of our favorite WDW restaurants. Relaxed atmosphere and excellent food. We were disappointed it was changed to a character meal. We did find some of the former Artist Point menu items served at the Territory Lounge, however last November.
I’m certain the mushroom bisque is the same recipe used at the “former” Artist Point. When I tried it years ago, I was shocked to discover I liked mushroom soup!

Whew...finally caught up! For some reason I thought our trips overlapped. We were there from the 14th to the 26th which is why I'm just catching up on your report. Looking forward to the rest, and trying to gear up for one of my own!
I look forward to reading your adventures!

I must say I usually order prime rib for the Yorkshire Pudding (must be an American thing to call them popovers since I’ve only ever seen it referred to as Yorkshire Pudding in Canada). They are finicky to make but so good!!
Yup, it’s a ‘Merican thing! 🇺🇸

Popovers. Everyday is a school day lol. I love Yorkshire puddings and a good one reminds me of my mum's homemade ones. I myself have stopped trying to emulate her perfect recipe 💕
:hungry:

We ate at Storybook Dining the first week it opened in Dec. (I wrote a small review on this blog), and we enjoyed it very much.
But, our experience was different in that, we weren't at all scolded regarding sitting, all of the tables were not filled and our waiter was very attentive.
The characters were spot on, and the evil queen was awesome in her (evil way)!
We were on the dining plan and it was a great use of one credit, paying cash, probably not so much.
I’m guessing guest behavior since the grand opening accounts for the “warnings.”
Glad you had a lovely meal.

DisneyGigi

Not to beat the food discussion stuff, but I had no idea a Yorkshire pudding was a popover. My dad- (step) was from Cape Cod, and I learned to make mincemeat pies, bread pudding, real cranberry sauce, not in a can, Yorkshire pudding for him. I thought Pop Overs were fried pies. 😑

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Monday, con’t

When we arrived on Main Street I told Em I wanted to stop for a PhotoPass picture.

There were a couple of photographers out (there seem to be fewer of them in the evenings than the mornings) and we joined the shortest line. Our photographer looked to be college age and may have been part of the CP. His name was Callan (which was easy to recall since it is unusual) and he was a little awkward in trying to make conversation.

He also was not adept with the digital system. Our pictures did not show up in MDE for over 24 hours....and of the six pictures he took, only two turned out (the other four were blank.)

141F1265-1A0D-4F47-8B28-5E04DCD17670.jpeg

0D1E6416-F6EA-451D-92A1-FC739041F56D.jpeg

(Foreshadowing ~ this would not be our last encounter with Callan.)

We headed to Sunglass Hut and Em got her Ray Bans adjusted. Then we crossed the hub to use our first FP.

CD1F9077-B6B9-4EC8-A621-BEBF3B42DA58.jpeg

Sun, glorious sun! The ominous clouds that were over the Kingdom had passed!

The FP line for Buzz Lightyear began at the entrance to Laugh Floor! :jawdrop:

89D15C30-7250-46F3-BB43-73DC59B3744B.jpeg

It took nearly ten minutes just to get here ~
9872A5BE-CB1F-4444-AFF5-CA4913725542.jpeg

Em agreed to ride with me.

Did we beat the Evil Emperor Zurg?

I’ll let this photo speak for itself.

73F99742-7639-4C98-9387-2559CB1E1673.jpeg

The fact that it took both our scores combined to do so is irrelevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom