Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

Ears to Disney

I am likewise afflicted with the oatmeal for breakfast. It does not fill me up for a long time either! I usually try to add fruit to it or have a side of fruit, to no avail. I cannot wait for our LTT lunch in December. Everything looks so delicious and I don't think I have been there since 2006! 😣

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

Our last FP was for Splash Mountain. It was an intentional choice, as we would be heading back to the Lodge for our mid-day break and could change if we got soaked.

I was hopeful that we wouldn’t get too wet when we were assigned to the back of the log.

And then our log slowed by the unnecessary water cannon at the start of the ride. The one that shoots as you watch another log speed down the big hill. The one that can drench you before you even get inside the mountain.

Guess who didn’t make it through unscathed.

I hate that water jet.

36898D7F-3937-4D31-B0C8-FEB8A9A72EBF.jpeg

The temperature was a scorcher but I didn’t find the soaking on Splash refreshing. It was time to make our way towards the park exit.

Em wanted to make a stop before leaving.

CF150B36-E1D7-4211-B7AE-D4C403D7D698.jpeg

She wasn’t interested in purchasing a beverage. She was after one of these:

E05F8F72-BA4E-4708-B814-EB0EEF14FA3C.jpeg

And it didn’t even cost her a cent, thanks to the numerous Starbucks gift cards she’s received from her students.

452E474A-AEE6-4892-940B-E792589B9BF8.jpeg

LeighM

EM might appreciate my spreadsheet then... Although last time I made one...I think we ended up tossing it after just a day or so.... it's just a guideline!

Mines not color coded though... just a spreadsheet with park, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, FP+'s, Clothes for each day... yep....

My WDW planning spreadsheet is color coded LOL. I usually only use it when making ADRs and FP, with travel time thrown in so I know not to book anything during that window. I don't use it as much now that we focus more on quick service restaurants with only a few table service ADRs throughout the trip. Plus, we spend less time in the parks. My husband likes looking at it so he has a general idea of the plans for the day or week since he doesn't want much to do with the detailed planning. But we don't stick to it often once we're there.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

Mug in hand, Em and I exited MK. We pondered taking the boat to the Lodge but it was just pulling away. Bus it was!

There was a gentleman waiting at our bus stop but no one else. He was scrolling on his phone so Em and I pulled out our phones to pass the time. Too bad the app doesn’t list bus arrival times at the parks. Now that would be a useful feature!

Suddenly all three of us were jolted away from our screens with a “Hey there!”

It was a Minnie Van driver.

“How would you guys like a free ride back to the Wilderness Lodge?”

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

“Sure!” was our simultaneous reply.

“Then follow me!” he cried, bubbling with enthusiasm.

29C946A6-9B90-4783-8DD6-A93740285170.jpeg

The driver told the gentleman to ride up front and the ladies to get in back. He was perceptive in recognizing that we were not one party, but two. And he opened the doors for us.

3D377E21-6C02-4C63-BC09-4BB83FD5D7B3.jpeg

003E3464-0E68-4ED2-B78B-4445C8B38B69.jpeg

The driver assumed none of us had been in a Minnie Van before and used the travel time to explain all about the service. The gentleman in front was very engaged with him. Em and I had taken a Minnie Van last summer but since he didn’t ask us any questions, we listened quietly to his spiel.

Fun Facts:
The two year Minnie-versary of the service was July 31.
It began with 25 vans and 50 drivers.
Currently there are 100 vans and 200 drivers.
All drivers are Disney employees (his words, not mine....I was surprised he did not say cast members) and he was proud to add he was one of the original 50.

Minnie Vans are allowed to use service entrances for resorts so we pulled up to the porte cochère less than 5 minutes after departing MK. We graciously thanked our driver and went inside.

Sulley Pig had been binge watching the Disney channel during our absence.

03D8C7F6-0482-4855-A9FA-1544AD09E5A8.jpeg

The speedy transport enabled us to spend about an hour at the pool (Em’s request.)

C8D3C175-A963-4285-9731-4E7E043C7D8B.jpeg

We left when it began to sprinkle on us, though there were very few clouds in the sky. It didn’t bother us to leave since we knew we needed to nap in preparation for tonight’s party. Well we had just settled in for a few winks when a LOUD (and lengthy) thunderstorm began to rage outside. The BOOMS of thunder kept me on edge and I had difficulty relaxing and drifting off. The good rest I needed never came and exhaustion would be my enemy later.

Stay tuned.

StitchSNK

Boat ride #1 ~ Frozen Ever After

Boat ride #2 ~ Gran Fiesta Tour

Boat ride #3 ~ The Farm Ride

View attachment 393965

We had front row seats! I wish I could say we thoroughly enjoyed our ride, but the a/c seemed to be broken. Those greenhouses were toasty. ☀

Em was in fine form too.

“Why are there either no bananas or very small ones?” she complained. “I’m beginning to think the banana trees are fake.”

“And why is there only ever one shrimp?”

I think the heat was getting to her.

I'm just catching up on your TR after my almost 2 wonderful weeks of Disney World and Disney Cruise.

I went on a Behind the Seeds tour and I learned that the breed of shrimp at Living with the Land are violent and have to live separate otherwise they'll kill each other.

Looks like you ladies had a wonderful time! My husband and I visited WL and agreed it's beautiful and it's on our list of places to stay! I would stay just for nachos! ;)

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

Full disclosure ~ we did not purchase Disney After Hours tickets for the Villains. We purchased the tickets to have access to our fave MK attractions at night without having to wait in long lines....the way it used to be years ago during free EMH.

So not only did we pay for something that used to be included, we paid an additional premium for the Villains theme.

Was it “worth it?” I really dislike the question of “worth” because it is so subjective. What someone may declare a good value another may call a rip-off. There is no universal agreement on “worth.”

Did we have a good time? Yes, we had a great time!
Did we take advantage of all the party had to offer? No, as there simply wasn’t enough time.
Would we do it again? Possibly, if we didn’t have to pay an upcharge for a theme in which we have no interest. Being in the MK with sparse crowds was amazing!

Em and I arrived at MK a few minutes prior to 7 pm, when ticketed guests were allowed to enter.

9561084A-5EEB-4F88-881C-C85CF4662E48.jpeg

We got our wristbands and party map.

4E524A9C-A6D7-4D4B-9B7B-04A40590A3B9.jpeg

The map was on heavy stock paper, better quality than regular park maps and those for MNSSHP/MVMCP.

7350D706-B101-4407-85CE-B8E7504390DF.jpeg

The first item on our agenda?

Dinner!

93boomer

Premium Member
Thursday, con’t

Full disclosure ~ we did not purchase Disney After Hours tickets for the Villains. We purchased the tickets to have access to our fave MK attractions at night without having to wait in long lines....the way it used to be years ago during free EMH.

So not only did we pay for something that used to be included, we paid an additional premium for the Villains theme.

Was it “worth it?” I really dislike the question of “worth” because it is so subjective. What someone may declare a good value another may call a rip-off. There is no universal agreement on “worth.”

Did we have a good time? Yes, we had a great time!
Did we take advantage of all the party had to offer? No, as there simply wasn’t enough time.
Would we do it again? Possibly, if we didn’t have to pay an upcharge for a theme in which we have no interest. Being in the MK with sparse crowds was amazing!

Em and I arrived at MK a few minutes prior to 7 pm, when ticketed guests were allowed to enter.

View attachment 396498

We got our wristbands and party map.

View attachment 396500

The map was on heavy stock paper, better quality than regular park maps and those for MNSSHP/MVMCP.

View attachment 396499

The first item on our agenda?

Dinner!
Totally agree with the disney after dark crowds!! We, of course, did the MK in April. It was so nice just to be able to walk and have personal space! :joyfull:

Tuvalu

Original Poster
When discussing our quick service options earlier, we decided we were in the mood for Italian fare.

4BEC964E-5DB0-4116-BEFC-521F60D7706A.jpeg

I have had nothing but bad luck with mobile ordering so I didn’t even try. The Haus wasn’t slammed at all and we walked right up to a register.

1A24FE18-EB0A-448F-B56D-F6E97DD64FDF.jpeg

Funny....neither clock was displaying the correct time!

Em went with the margherita flatbread and I ordered the chicken parm sandwich. Both items were surprisingly delish!

12D0D6F2-3C08-4077-B475-D3D32F81C2D3.jpeg

We typically sit in the Figaro room (you know, cat people :cat: ) but for some reason it was roped off. We found a table next to the Wish Book, something I did not know existed until I read about it in someone’s (@sheriffwoody?) trip report.

A14CAAF4-0BD8-44D7-A34B-81C50B576AE3.jpeg

342D9737-4420-4C66-A256-5E5E61BE8A3E.jpeg

Apparently cast members are allowed to write in the Wish book! 🤣

After we finished eating Em studied the map so we could confirm our “Must Do and Sees” although the party wouldn’t start for a couple more hours.

74DA8926-F5CC-4551-960B-60CD94EB8CDA.jpeg

Since we were right across the way from Philharmagic, we decided to pop in and watch the symphony. But silly us! (See what I did there? 😉) We had forgotten that Philharmagic closes for a bit in preparation for the fireworks.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Plan B.

E79CE9A0-742E-4E30-A99D-5ED71235A3A0.jpeg

Not only was it nearly a full house, but it was a very ROWDY audience! Really made it fun for us.

If you don’t care for bears, spend the time watching these guys. They’re hilarious!

1E85B48B-2461-400C-8A49-57452E5D44E4.jpeg

He’s big around the middle
And he’s broad across the rump
Running ninety miles an hour
Making thirty feet a jump

941B5A9D-0A16-440D-B10F-F5DB7417419A.jpeg

Ain’t never been cornered
Ain’t never been treed
Some folks say he looks a lot like me!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
We had some time to kill before HEA. Not enough time to wait standby for an attraction. We figured we’d just hang out in Frontierland.

5561140F-96FD-4B62-A603-74AC07EA2DAF.jpeg

As we meandered, I suddenly noticed Em was no longer with me.

This was where I found her.

2287F39E-B13A-4068-AABF-0B1B7E2BD0B2.jpeg

Did you know that the Shootin’ Gallery is free? We didn’t. Last time I was there I remember exchanging a dollar bill for quarters/tokens. But all the guns were operational and you could shoot at targets as long as you wanted.

A4E1445A-993F-44E0-91C0-0872E4B06A9B.jpeg

7BB82146-A575-4C12-AD3C-8A507F359AD3.jpeg

But neither Em nor I are adolescent boys and the novelty wore off quickly (plus those guns are heavy!) I will say some fun surprises resulted upon hitting targets.

The sun was starting to set. Time to claim our fireworks spot.

C503ED2B-F38C-4F92-A753-5C2E3745B27B.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom