Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm very interested in your thoughts about Toledo, we have an ADR for March.
Toledo looks beautiful! Looked like such a great night!
Glad you enjoyed your dinner so much even if the bread/tomato appetizer was just meh. We're hoping to get over there during our February trip to try it.
Toledo is definitely worth checking out.

Ahhh strawberry rose hard cider :inlove:
The stuff dreams are made of! :happy:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, August 26

Breakfast this morning consisted of high-fiber 😉 muffins we picked up yesterday at Café Rix when we bought our gelato.

354FC09B-DD20-44F4-94DA-64776FA1CD43.jpeg

I’d made the mistake of leaving the muffins in their paper bag overnight, which resulted in a dried-out taste.

We still ate them though. :joyfull:

We left the room a few minutes before 9 am and headed for the bus stop. If anyone asks my opinion of the bus service at CSR my answer would be, GREAT!! Of course that’s only because our bus arrived at the stop the moment we did.....and the same thing happened later on our way back to the resort.

Also, today was the only day we used CSR bus transport. 😉

I did not realize how incredibly close to Epcot CSR is! Ten minutes after boarding we were disembarking. We ended up following the family pictured below to the park entrance. The boy on the far right was no older than 13. Sister was also a young teen. Can you tell what she is holding in her hand?

A17E149D-CBBF-40BC-949D-CFEE3C234F01.jpeg

If you guessed vape pen, you’d be correct. Woody and I watched as they passed the vape pen among themselves several times, attempting to be discreet as they inhaled.

And that’s all I am going to say about it.

As we approached the security area, Woody veered off to the right where the “no bags” screening has always been. I had to contend with this ~

F261A9CA-1198-4347-96CA-AD1364582922.jpeg

Worst bag check of any park. (Can I get an Amen! @dryerlintfan?)

But as long and aggravating as my experience was, Woody had it worse. Seems the “no bags” screening had been moved to the same area where I was (only over on the far right.) No agent had mentioned this as Woody and several others without bags were now stuck in two incredibly long lines of bag checking. The agent had closed the gate behind them so there wasn’t a way for the “no baggers” to leave the line. To make matters worse, the screeners berated each “no bagger” (once they reached the tables) for being in the WRONG LINE.

I ended up having to wait on Woody! Once we reunited, we used AP entrance to tap our bands.

We were greeted by more of MICKEY’S MAGICAL WALLS!!

17404145-B94E-4D71-B50B-8C64A7C67CC0.jpeg

Big announcements about the changes coming to Epcot (no more Future World :cry:) had been made the day prior at the D23 convention in CA. Apparently, work was commencing immediately!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The park had been open for nearly an hour....where were all the people? I made Woody stop and turn around so I could take this shot. I’m glad I did since I now have a visual reminder of the kite(?) covering that so many despise, which will be coming down soon. We liked it only because it provided much-needed shade in a very exposed area (something the haters likely never considered.)

28B170B2-8FAE-4EEB-81C9-0D3F57F2588B.jpeg

Woody pointed out a drained pond. Like any good news reporter, I took a picture.

B5738BED-DCDD-48B4-9E86-CDCC1AF8E4D4.jpeg

You’re welcome.

CAUTION — MONORAIL OVERHEAD

BC329F94-B2D8-46D0-B964-7425CBB1D25E.jpeg

Woody wisely took the camera away.

In case you couldn’t figure out where we were going.....

E96006AC-A4B4-4676-B682-08A770E87904.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We had a FP for Soarin’ but planned to rope drop Living with the Land first.

But is it really a rope drop when the park has been open to everyone for an hour?

When there is only one family ahead of you in the queue, I’m claiming YES.

As our boat entered the barn, I noticed the film clips had changed. “In Saudia Arabia and Mexico....” is no more. My sons used to recite that part every trip. I quickly snapped these two pics and sent them to both.

6FE30041-015F-42E1-99F2-1CC8AD219617.jpeg

AE2C0638-B006-46B4-BB3D-593195D68207.jpeg

I received a “No Way!” and a ☹ immediately.

Change is hard.

5C2FA657-58DA-42DB-B025-9BD19E77BAAE.jpeg

The mom in front of us was very excitedly pointing out the different plants to her kids. Her enthusiasm was infectious! I’m always encouraged when discovering others enjoy this ride as much as Woody and I do!

6219C809-637E-48B9-839A-3E47F398F502.jpeg

UH-OH. What’s happened here?

The ONE shrimp has died! (Better not tell Em!)

A98960CE-0BD2-4BB1-B573-405E66E3233A.jpeg

Moving on to happier spots....

2A31CB32-D964-404E-9103-F8381798CE44.jpeg

D929FD14-284C-44C4-86C0-3FE3025F55E5.jpeg

And since he took my pic before entering the pavilion, he said he needed to document the exit.

33473A20-B7F1-49B5-943B-1B203C84CB06.jpeg

Whatevs.

Last edited:

93boomer

Premium Member
The park had been open for nearly an hour....where were all the people? I made Woody stop and turn around so I could take this shot. I’m glad I did since I now have a visual reminder of the kite(?) covering that so many despise, which will be coming down soon. We liked it only because it provided much-needed shade in a very exposed area (something the haters likely never considered.)

View attachment 414080

Woody pointed out a drained pond. Like any good news reporter, I took a picture.

View attachment 414083
You’re welcome.

CAUTION — MONORAIL OVERHEAD

View attachment 414081

Woody wisely took the camera away.

In case you couldn’t figure out where we were going.....

View attachment 414082
Thank you for that up-to-the minute news report!! 🤣😉

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you for that up-to-the minute news report!! 🤣😉
I do what I can. :hilarious:

I'm glad that Toledo will be worth checking out. I was hoping you had tried the savory churros, those sound interesting. But the hanger steak is something that both Brad and I are interested in.
I’m not much of a churro fan. Will be curious to hear your review if you get them!

If I haven't said it before, I just want to say how much I enjoy your trip reports! I love your style of writing (and touring!) and am so grateful you get to go so often so you can continue your reports!
Thank you for your kind words and for following!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, con’t

Were y’all wondering why I made no mention of riding Soarin’? (I’d said we had a FP.)

THEN WHY DIDN’T YOU SAY SOMETHING??!

This grandma had a major senior moment. I posted the picture of me exiting the Land, unintentionally leaving out the Soarin’ part.

Me, when I discovered my Soarin’ pictures ~

0AE7C13E-E125-45FA-9AA9-1943EC2F7759.gif

So close your eyes and pretend Woody and I are back inside The Land.

Ready?

Continues as if she had not made a faux pas.....

We made a quick pit stop before using our first FP. I know it’s been a couple years since the location of the women’s room and men’s room have flipped, but muscle memory tends to make me want to go left instead of right.

There were no flowers in the restroom. And Sam did nothing.

Finally ~

99D81DD6-E684-45AF-9CE2-E8AE5E01C53F.jpeg

As we were walking the queue a guy behind us asked, “Do they serve drinks on this flight?” :hilarious:

I was disappointed to be in Concourse A. Even moreso to be at the end of the row. Bring on the bendy Eiffel Tower!

03C53E05-E8D0-4E53-B4CF-10FD81CB2909.jpeg

One redeeming aspect of the flight was watching a man, wearing aviator sunglasses, attempt to take pictures (not video) of the screen with his phone. It was entertaining. More entertaining than leaning monuments.

THEN we left The Land to visit a purple dragon.

859DA701-2461-404D-B433-D1DFFE22EBA8.jpeg

5D5304B0-521E-44DC-83E4-2EC430F8D80C.jpeg

There was no wait. I promptly cancelled our FP.

We went the long way to our next attraction. We watched the upside down (backwards?) fountain for a bit.

CAE6F37B-BBDF-4656-87B2-7D1CB9B47E98.jpeg

Last edited:

jlag1006

Monday, con’t

Were y’all wondering why I made no mention of riding Soarin’? (I’d said we had a FP.)

THEN WHY DIDN’T YOU SAY SOMETHING??!

This grandma had a major senior moment. I posted the picture of me exiting the Land, unintentionally leaving out the Soarin’ part.

Me, when I discovered my Soarin’ pictures ~

View attachment 414374

So close your eyes and pretend Woody and I are back inside The Land.

Ready?

Continues as if she had not made a faux pas.....

We made a quick pit stop before using our first FP. I know it’s been a couple years since the location of the women’s room and men’s room have flipped, but muscle memory tends to make me want to go left instead of right.

There were no flowers in the restroom. And Sam did nothing.

Finally ~

View attachment 414384

As we were walking the queue a guy behind us asked, “Do they serve drinks on this flight?” :hilarious:

I was disappointed to be in Concourse A. Even moreso to be at the end of the row. Bring on the bendy Eiffel Tower!

View attachment 414367

One redeeming aspect of the flight was watching a man, wearing aviator sunglasses, attempt to take pictures (not video) of the screen with his phone. It was entertaining. More entertaining than leaning monuments.

THEN we left The Land to visit a purple dragon.

View attachment 414369

There was no wait. I promptly cancelled our FP.

We went the long way to our next attraction. We watched the upside down (backwards?) fountain for a bit.

View attachment 414389
My comment during our trip this past weekend is that they need to pick a side for the women's/men's room and stick to it across the park! I almost walked into the wrong restroom several times because they're not all in the same place!

lindawdw

I'm not a fan of all those walls at the entrance to Epcot although I know it's necessary for all the big changes coming to Future World. :( The security at that park entrance is extremely frustrating and hopefully that will all get better with the changes!!! We love starting off our day at The Land pavilion. I will never understand how Disney allowed the new Soarin to be shown with the bent view from the sides of the theater!:rolleyes: Can't wait to hear about the rest of your day at Epcot!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
My comment during our trip this past weekend is that they need to pick a side for the women's/men's room and stick to it across the park! I almost walked into the wrong restroom several times because they're not all in the same place!
I’m glad I’m not the only one! 🤣

I'm not a fan of all those walls at the entrance to Epcot although I know it's necessary for all the big changes coming to Future World. :( The security at that park entrance is extremely frustrating and hopefully that will all get better with the changes!!! We love starting off our day at The Land pavilion. I will never understand how Disney allowed the new Soarin to be shown with the bent view from the sides of the theater!:rolleyes: Can't wait to hear about the rest of your day at Epcot!
I agree about the necessity of the walls, but it felt like they were everywhere (Epcot, MK, DHS...can’t speak for AK) this trip. If they bothered me, a frequent guest, I can only imagine what first-timers were thinking. They paid full price to see lots of construction...

I loved the new Soarin’ when I first saw it, because (though I didn’t know it at the time) I had a perfect seat and there was no distortion. It wasn’t until a couple rides later that I realized all seats were not created equal (compared to the original film) and how ridiculous the landmarks appeared. I can deal with it because of how often I ride, but again.....those poor first-time (or only-time) guests. 🙁

More coming up!

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
I’m glad I’m not the only one! 🤣

I agree about the necessity of the walls, but it felt like they were everywhere (Epcot, MK, DHS...can’t speak for AK) this trip. If they bothered me, a frequent guest, I can only imagine what first-timers were thinking. They paid full price to see lots of construction...

I loved the new Soarin’ when I first saw it, because (though I didn’t know it at the time) I had a perfect seat and there was no distortion. It wasn’t until a couple rides later that I realized all seats were not created equal (compared to the original film) and how ridiculous the landmarks appeared. I can deal with it because of how often I ride, but again.....those poor first-time (or only-time) guests. 🙁

More coming up!
Did you snap a photo over the wall to see if the infamous ladder was there? :hilarious:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody and I continued on our way to our next FP.

BE8CC8EC-BC68-4AC8-B6F9-865347158A32.jpeg

D142FC65-500C-4061-89EA-D6E89186DA30.jpeg

Turns out we didn’t have a Fastpass. We had a SLOWpass in every sense of the word. From the time we tapped our bands until the time we entered the show building, 20 minutes had elapsed.

Even Snow White didn’t get to bypass the lengthy line.

48D74EFB-43D8-4B2C-A0C2-90480441B5BF.jpeg

Almost there!

F9DDB544-75CA-43A7-B99A-6B493D4A6263.jpeg

This mural is a sentimental favorite of Woody’s. We both hope it survives the refurb.

The time rovers were showing their age today. They moved at a snail’s pace and flat out stopped a couple of times, the longest being over 5 minutes during our descent back to earth. Everyone got to look at this lovely screen while we waited for motion to resume.

2EA15A0A-CF46-4D97-ADB9-754217F306F8.jpeg

Now we understood why our wait was so long.

Our SSE experience ate up much more time than we had planned. Instead of a normal-pace walk to our lunch ADR, we had to move briskly in the oppressive heat. No time to stop and smell the roses!

We passed several F&W CMs-in-training along the way.
DC890AF1-0E41-4C9D-B325-8A3F5B93449B.jpeg

(Really want to comment on the size of the children in the double stroller....must keep mouth shut.)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Both of us were a hot mess by the time we got to Italy.

41FF310F-539D-4C6A-918F-5173AFFAA997.jpeg

Yes, @BuddyThomas we were giving Via Napoli yet another try. We went in expecting the poor service we’ve grown accustomed to, but were hopeful that the pizza wouldn’t disappoint. My mom and I had a DELICIOUS Margherita pizza back in January and I had my fingers crossed for a repeat.

We were promptly seated next to a window.

1F87F902-C68E-4817-B5AF-80509CC52527.jpeg

52EF8C2B-F83A-464B-9DFD-3163A4064B56.jpeg

Cold glasses of water were brought over immediately, which we really appreciated.

F364483D-7C52-4206-9ADD-645A4D1C927B.jpeg

Our server was kind and promptly took our order. As we refreshed our dehydrated selves with water, we watched the activity around us. The restaurant filled up quickly.

2A1579EB-EEA3-4C35-B0AA-16924D267FDF.jpeg

It wasn’t long until this large beauty was before us.

3E130AF5-F024-4F47-809A-9CF0AEAC4A7D.jpeg

A sizable portion of fresh mozzarella, evenly placed atop the dough. Not much fresh basil, but that was okay by me as I pick it off anyway.

So far so good, right?

I took my first bite and encountered the same charred taste as the bread from Toledo last night.

This photo shows the char on the upper crust. The bottom crust was even worse.
3D3A07B6-8FE8-4F9A-AF76-23BAA6EACC07.jpeg

I don’t mind a slight char on wood-fired pizza, but I don’t like it blackened.....which this was.

It wasn’t worth the hassle to send it back. Woody is not as particular as I am and did not mind the char. I just ate less than I’d planned, which was probably a good thing anyway! 🤣

And the service was a lot better than expected.

We were met by this view upon exiting. Once again, where were all the people?!

DDAD05E5-C129-4DA9-BBE4-EBC6F4D437B2.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We stopped for a fun photo shoot before resuming our walk along the Promenade.

37E07592-84F9-42DA-A42B-6A8C83D5E740.jpeg

8BC83DC7-E578-498C-8D8B-ECD721DEFADA.jpeg

Flaunting our AP status. :hilarious:

54B49309-0673-418A-A96A-8DAE05504DC8.jpeg

Woody was curious which artists were performing during the Eat to the Beat concert series. He noticed a glaring mistake on the signage.

830F4836-997E-4706-BE3F-3CB3D85FB3D9.jpeg

Do you see it?

We had to fight the crowds all the way to France.

5B0EB4C2-E796-404B-A649-99A0C6061F09.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Many of us have a preference for a particular country’s gift stores, which we make a priority to visit whenever in Epcot.

For Woody and me, it is France.

Woody enjoys perusing the wine selection.

A9F1E719-3085-42E3-A5B2-5F2C20B39282.jpeg

I like the kitchen stuff (and own some of it!)

76496383-BBD2-4909-8734-52C2D9F8909F.jpeg

Thought of you when I saw this, @TrolleyFollower91.

038DDE47-D92B-448A-BD54-2EDE9C42E171.jpeg

I was craving something sweet and Les Halles delivered!

072C533B-6F05-4112-8099-345A50656C01.jpeg

The gondolas were in testing mode. Today they are finally in service mode!!! 👏🏻

7CDEF3B9-3354-477C-A4D5-BF5B95C51508.jpeg

CC109FBE-EF38-477E-8FE0-66ABD2A51823.jpeg

I met a friend on the other side of the bridge.

A3FAD5B8-AA25-445B-B6A9-0B922A183BEE.jpeg

I shudder to think what Poly and Kona would do to this little guy. I remember being presented with many lizard “prizes” by the family cat when we lived in South Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom